Payload limit

Reaction score
I am planning on using my Phantom 3 Standard to lift an arbor throw weight through a tree in my backyard to pull an amateur radio antenna wire up to height. The weight is 16 oz. Is this weight realistic for the drone to lift? Thanks, kc2pk

I am planning on using my Phantom 3 Standard to lift an arbor throw weight through a tree in my backyard to pull an amateur radio antenna wire up to height. The weight is 16 oz. Is this weight realistic for the drone to lift? Thanks, kc2pk
Hi and welcome! :)

The video below shows 800g being lifted by a P3S.

16oz is just 453g, so you should be OK. Just be careful about any 'pendulum effect' when flying. Also be careful that you don't lose GPS, thus causing the drone to try to return home! Fly in Atti maybe?

See here:-
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I conducted a series of tests for carrying instruments aloft for weather research. Adding progressively more weight I determined that the P3A retained full control with loads up to 16.9 oz., and I stopped testing and deemed it too unstable for safe flight when the load was increased to 21.0 oz.

Yes, I've seen the videos showing that a Phantom can take off with much larger loads, but that's not the same thing as executing a safe mission and returning in one piece.

KC2PK de WA5TEF. I have used the following procedure to hoist paracord over my house, trees and tower arms. I tape a 12 inch or so wooden dowel to one wide of the landing gear with about six inches sticking out in front. I loop the paracord over this dowel with a small weight such as a socket, and a 3 foot length of colored tape. The separate loop should be loose to allow it to slip off at the right moment. Then I fly the drone up about twice as high as needed, slowly forward it over the tree and once in position rotate the drone 180 degrees. If the cord does not drop simply fly drone backwards until it does. I have used this method probably 20 times with no problems. Just test the drop resistance before flight to be sure it will slide off easily when reedy.

73 and good luck.

KC2PK de WA5TEF. I have used the following procedure to hoist paracord over my house, trees and tower arms. I tape a 12 inch or so wooden dowel to one wide of the landing gear with about six inches sticking out in front. I loop the paracord over this dowel with a small weight such as a socket, and a 3 foot length of colored tape. The separate loop should be loose to allow it to slip off at the right moment. Then I fly the drone up about twice as high as needed, slowly forward it over the tree and once in position rotate the drone 180 degrees. If the cord does not drop simply fly drone backwards until it does. I have used this method probably 20 times with no problems. Just test the drop resistance before flight to be sure it will slide off easily when reedy.

73 and good luck.
Thanks OM, I need to really thread the needle. I will fly to about 45 feet, then through a fork in the tree and release the weight tied to a yellow Dacron cord which will hopefully then fall unobstructed to the ground. I will then use the cord to pull the 3/8 Dacron with the pully up to the fork, secure at the tree base and hoist the inverted V to the fork etc. etc.
So, I need maneuverability and stability. I have been flying RC aerobatic models for many years so the actual flying is not the problem. The stability as I fly through the fork is where the problem is. I have removed some of the weight from the arbor throw weight so it should be ok even with the cord attached. Hope to try tomorrow. Will let everyone know. Fingers crossed! 73

Sounds like you know what you're doing! Good luck and be sure you are able to get the drone clear of the drop cord! If it hangs up you can't land as the cord will drag upwards towards the fork and possibly get into the props. I had one such flight with a different type material for the stick and it was difficult to release and almost lost the drone trying to jerk the line from the stick. I finally flew backwards in sport mode and was able to get it to drop. I didn't use that material (bamboo) again!

An electronic release mechanism would be handy. Not cheap, but the Gannet XSport would work best. Both machanical and electronic release. Lets go automatically in case of tangles. Many uses, including its intended, fishing.
Good luck, stay safe.

Tried to thread the needle last weekend but was unable to penetrate the fork in the tree because of several very small but obstructing batches. Drone lifted the 8 oz. weight and cord with no problems. May try again or just have my grandson throw the weight through the tree fork. Thanks for the comments. Fred

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers