Paying for your section 333

Reaction score
Found a company on the internet that will do it for $500.00. Most places are $1500. Anyone gone this route and can recommend anyone? Thanks.

J

It costs about $15 to do it yourself. If time is worth more than money though, then I guess it's a great deal. This might help if you want to do it yourself.

I don't think it cost me anything to do mine. I just looked through the ones that got accepted and picked the shortest one that most closely matched my needs (two pages) and changed out my personal info. I didn't even include links or photocopies of the manuals. But it did take at least six months to get approved...

I don't think it cost me anything to do mine.
You didn't have to register your aircraft with the FAA? Get an N-number? Etc.? There are a few small costs you must pay to the FAA.

Doesn't the new Section 107 that is supposedly coming mid month make Section 333's a thing of the past? This should be in place and testing available well before the 6+ months it takes to get a Section 333?
If not please fill me in because I am waiting for that!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Doesn't the new Section 107 that is supposedly coming mid month make Section 333's a thing of the past?
I think that's the plan, but the FAA still has not finalized the new rules. They were supposed to be out 1+ year ago now. Will we see them within 6 months? I'm hopeful, but not confident.

Reactions: Bino
I think that's the plan, but the FAA still has not finalized the new rules. They were supposed to be out 1+ year ago now. Will we see them within 6 months? I'm hopeful, but not confident.

Thanks! I guess it's time to start filling out the paperwork just in case!

I'll charge you less at $499.99 to get your 333 exemption and register your drone with an N number. :D

Earlier someone mentioned they "found" the shortest 333 Exemptions and filed it. Where did you find the form(s)? Any assistance would be appreciated.

But according to all this you still need a sport pilot license? I'm very confused. I don't have a PIC it's me and a spotter for jobs.

But according to all this you still need a sport pilot license?
The person flying the Phantom is the PIC. The PIC must have at least a sport/recreational pilot license.

The person flying the Phantom is the PIC. The PIC must have at least a sport/recreational pilot license.
But if you don't have that then there's no point in getting a 333?

Correct -- if you're planning on flying and don't have a license. You could get an exemption and hire a pilot who is also trained to fly Phantoms. That probably doesn't make sense for most people cost-wise though.

You didn't have to register your aircraft with the FAA? Get an N-number? Etc.? There are a few small costs you must pay to the FAA.
When I submitted my petition there wasn't a registration requirement yet (but I did register the day registration opened and the $5 was supposedly refunded for early registration).

As for an N-number, I don't have that. Is that a detail I missed that I need to have?

Regardless, the cost of getting the 333 as per the OP can be zero if you do it yourself.

When I submitted my petition there wasn't a registration requirement yet
It was always a requirement. You must register your aircraft to fly commercially -- which also requires an N-number. See more details in step #5 of the "Petitioning for Exemption under Section 333" process on the FAA's website here.

When I submitted my petition there wasn't a registration requirement yet (but I did register the day registration opened and the $5 was supposedly refunded for early registration).

As for an N-number, I don't have that. Is that a detail I missed that I need to have?

Regardless, the cost of getting the 333 as per the OP can be zero if you do it yourself.

Commercial registration has always been required. Hobby registration is a new aspect but Commercial was a requirement long long ago.

The good news is all-in cost is under $20 so it's not a financial hardship.

Such a sad truth of the 333 matter. Lots of very competent and qualified drone pilots who can't fly commercially because of this.

Reactions: WRXJIM
Does anyone see this changing with the new regulations?
The FAA is working on adding a new type of pilot license -- allegedly called an "operator" license. You'll be able to obtain it without flying a manned aircraft.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl