Part 107 test studying ???

Reaction score
Hi guys , just getting into studying for the part 107 pilot license and my head is ready to explode.
What study tips ,instructions, or information have you found that made it easier for you to remember the info for the test ??
Any positive information is greatly appreciated.

Check out this list of FAA Part 107 study resources that members of this site commonly recommend.

Okay out of the 13 links posted what has anybody found to be the easiest to follow to help them and passing the test

Msinger, thank you very much for all of the resources.
what I'm really looking for is personal accounts from individuals and what they have used that works the best.
info like what particular video, etc, help them to understand all of that information the easiest and fastest.

All of the information that msinger posted is helpful. Any of the study courses listed will be well worth the money spent.

There's no "magic bullet" or one video that works for everyone. There's no one video that is going to have all the information.

Personally, I used Remote Pilot 101 and I also used the free study questions on the FAA website and the free study questions on 3DR's website. Lots of people here have used the Gold Seal course successfully. Others have used the Drone Pilot Ground School.

"Easy" and "fast" are likely not going to be found in your study prep.
  • Take the 3DR questions. Do it 3 or 4 or 5 times.
  • Sign up for one of the paid courses, watch all the videos in the course, and take their practice tests multiple times.
  • Read the FAA study guide and take the FAA practice test question.
  • Search out additional videos on reading sectional charts and understanding airspace and watch those.
  • Really understand METARs.
  • Download the FAA's Airman Test Knowledge Supplement book (FAA-CT-8080-2F, Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement for Sport Pilot, Recreational. Pilot, and Private Pilot) and go over it a bunch so you are familiar with the charts and examples that will actually be used on the test.

Thank you for the reply

Here's a free practice exam so that you can see exactly what types of questions are on the exam. Complete explanations are provided and no sign-up required:

FAA Part 107 Ground School

I started by buying books. Then I came across this site that a friend suggested to me. Remote Pilot 101 |
I would have to say its one of the best courses you can take to pass your 107. It was $149 well spent. Plus when 2019 comes around I don't have to pay for it again. That $149 is for life.

Reactions: Pharm
Here's a comparison chart that might help folks decide what is good for them:

upload_2018-2-28_12-46-13.png

Reactions: IamWedge
Sorry in advance for long post.

Having just taken/passed the test yesterday I offer my comments. FWIW I did self study, I purchased the ASA Remote Pilot Test Prep 2018 for reasons below. I also used the 3DR practice tests and went through them several times; also a good resource.

But I quickly add, the self study process may not work for everyone. Some folks do better in instructor led or otherwise structured learning environments.That said - look into:

Test Prep 2018: Remote Pilot (also available from Amazon).

It includes a printed copy of the CT-8080 Computer Testing Supplement which is used in the actual test (Totally concur with barefootbeachcombing - you will want to be very familiar with that document since you'll be flipping through it back and forth quite a lot during the test).The Supplement provided with my ASA test prep was dated 2016 so although it was very close to what I used during the actual test it must be considered a study aid only.

The ASA prep also includes 5 free timed tests that are presented in pretty much the same way you'll encounter when you take the actual test. This added a level of comfort when I tested for real since I immediately had the familiarity with how the system worked.

I should add - none of the above are all you'll need to prepare since they are test prep and not the definitive information sources underlying the test questions. For that - use the materials others have referenced above.

If I can add some hints in no particular order:
1) When taking the test (practice or real). Read the question, pause, then read it again; think it through. Now read all 3 answers very carefully and choose the most best one (some jump off the page, others are subtle). Sometimes the wording (both in the question and the answer) can trip you up as it did me many times in my practice sessions.

2) When taking the live test, use the 'Mark' option to mark a question you are not sure of so you can come back to it. Don't stress out on one you can't quite noodle out because that will throw you off your game - mark it, move on, come back to it later. You have 2 hours for 60 questions. IFF you are properly prepared you should have at least 45 mins to go back over all 60 questions with focus on the ones you marked unanswered.

3) For new pilots and well before you take the live test, I suggest you buy a hardcopy (not download) of a VFR Sectional Chart for the area you will operate in. Study and get familiar with it. Search 'Aviation Sectional Charts' - less than $15. Consider also a VFR TAC if you operate around one of the 39 high density areas (especially one of the Class B areas).

4) Last but not least - make sure you understand AGL versus MSL and True versus Magnetic and when each is used!

Fly smart and safe - Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hounddog
Here's a comparison chart that might help folks decide what is good for them:

View attachment 95624

Hey Russ, thanks for putting this together.

Please update your checkmarks re: Drone Pilot Ground School.

Our questions are randomized, we provide explanations for each of our questions, Figures are included in our practice quizzes, we offer both a passing and money-back guarantee, and we also offer both email and phone support.

So please add a check mark to each of the columns, except of course for "Taught by FAA CFI Instructor." While we worked with a CFI to build our curriculum initially, we don't have a CFI on camera in our video lessons like you guys do.

Thanks!

Hey there, uavcoach. You are quite welcome.

I am glad to see that you have finally added a money-back guarantee. Looks like you just did that within the last few days? Up until now you openly proclaimed on your FAQs page that you did not offer a money-back guarantee or any other type of guarantee.

Regarding the "Figures included in quiz questions", no you don't do that. You require people to download the full Knowledge Test Supplement and look up the figures from that. That's perfectly fine, it's just more of a nuisance to the student.

Regarding "Randomization", in you lesson quizzes, I took them several times and got the same questions, same order every time. Answer choices were also same order every time. So that doesn't appear to be randomized to me. If questions aren't randomized, it makes it too easy for students to memorize answers without actually learning the concepts.

Regarding "Explanations for wrong answers", as I said, I took most of your quizzes and never once was provided with an explanation when I got an answer wrong.

I didn't see anywhere that phone support was available. Point me to that and I'll be glad to add a check mark.

In February, we launched version 2.0 of our entire course and website. Prior to re-launching, we were proud of our program (reviews here) but knew there was room for improvement. We've taken our students' feedback and created a more polished course and stronger overall experience.

Anyone can view a free lesson here.

To clarify your points:
  • We've always offered phone support. It's right there on our home page and in a "Contact Us" lesson at the beginning of our course.
  • We have a detailed answer key below each lesson quiz so folks can see why they got the right or wrong answer - new feature. We also offer this in our full-length practice tests.
  • We link to the figures from within each question that refers to the supplement - new feature. We intentionally don't do this in our full-length practice tests to help students better simulate a real testing environment, where they have to flip through the supplement to find each figure.
  • We randomize the questions and answer choices in our practice tests, but not in our lesson quizzes.
Please go ahead and update your chart. Thanks!

We'll have to get that verified, but if it pans out we'll certainly update the chart.

FWIW, I studied with the Drone Pilot Ground School Version 1. No previous aviation experience and no other study guides and passed the test last June with a 95%.

Reactions: uavcoach

Do you have perspective if the tests are the same for the 2yr retake/requalification? I’m due to retake this fall

Do you have perspective if the tests are the same for the 2yr retake/requalification? I’m due to retake this fall
I don't believe there has been any official word from the FAA on this yet. However, I have heard a number of anecdotal reports that FAA officials have indicated that the initial test must be retaken at an authorized testing center. Time will tell.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic