Part 107 test studying ???

In my personal experience, that seems like a waste of a lot of money.

I used the prepware remote pilot app that I got for $4.99 on the Google Play store.

I used it for the Part 107 initial. I probably spent about 10-12 hours total on my smartphone and tablet just doing practice question after practice question on the app. I had six days to study for the test and probably did the app for a couple hours each day.

I got a 95% (3 wrong) and felt more than prepared by the software. If you have any experience taking tests like the SAT, this test could not be easier once you get used to the key words and a few of the maps.

The chartmaps on the actual test were the exact same as the prepware maps. Some of the answers are just pure logic. Most of the questions were variations of the same questions with slightly different answers. Add to that all you really need is a 70%.

Reactions: BigAl07
In my personal experience, that seems like a waste of a lot of money.

I used the prepware remote pilot app that I got for $4.99 on the Google Play store.

I used it for the Part 107 initial. I probably spent about 10-12 hours total on my smartphone and tablet just doing practice question after practice question on the app. I had six days to study for the test and probably did the app for a couple hours each day.

I got a 95% (3 wrong) and felt more than prepared by the software. If you have any experience taking tests like the SAT, this test could not be easier once you get used to the key words and a few of the maps.

The chartmaps on the actual test were the exact same as the prepware maps. Some of the answers are just pure logic. Most of the questions were variations of the same questions with slightly different answers. Add to that all you really need is a 70%.

This.... ^^^^ this is a huge flaw in the system. As opposed to learning the subject matter and how to apply it to the real world the tests are structured so that people and "study for the test" and PASS without actually grasping the actual knowledge within.

No offense to you @phantomjim because everything you stated is 100% accurate. You just explained what so many others have done and passed the test with flying colors (see what I did there LOL).

Part 107 should be more difficult and it should entail a hands-on flying demonstration of flight proficiency. Anything less just makes the whole process a joke unfortunately.

That’s why I appreciated the Drone Pilot Ground School. I actually learned how to interpret sectional charts, METARS, and the effects of weather, among other things.

Well OK then, I learned all of that stuff. They could have changed the chart maps and some of the questions and I still knew all the stuff except that one downwind approach thing. I have no plans to fly in Class E or C airspace or any kind of situation where I am communicating with a control tower. Nevertheless, I learned about the frequencies and such that I would need to do so. It was all really not that exciting. I can read all of that charts. I understand all of the things the FAA wanted me to. I know the airspace designations, the effect of various weather patterns. I learned that thunderstorms can be unstable and that squall lines are the most dangerous kind of thunderstorm. I learned all about situational awareness and how important it is. All that stuff. I can read a METAR. I learned about ceilings, etc., etc. I'm sorry that it took me way less time than you.

I didn't design the test and it's not my fault that the test is relatively easy and can be defeated by simple study methods but I think that consumers and test-takers should know that before spending a whole lot of money for a prep course they don't need to pass the 107.

Glad to hear you actually learned the material. BTW, It did not take you way less time than me. Don't know where you got that.

We'll never actually know who learned what in what amount of time. That was a poor assumption by me and I apologize for that. It was an impulsive statement.

Well OK then, I learned all of that stuff. They could have changed the chart maps and some of the questions and I still knew all the stuff except that one downwind approach thing. I have no plans to fly in Class E or C airspace or any kind of situation where I am communicating with a control tower. Nevertheless, I learned about the frequencies and such that I would need to do so.

There are no control towers in Class E (except in rare and temporary situations).

The question about the airplane's position in the traffic pattern is important, especially at Class G airports where you are more likely to be close to the airport property. It has no relevance to communicating with a control tower. The FAA wants you to be able to listen to aircraft making self-announce position calls in and around the traffic pattern so that you, a Remote Pilot, will know where the manned aircraft are in relation to you.

There are no control towers in Class E (except in rare and temporary situations).

The question about the airplane's position in the traffic pattern is important, especially at Class G airports where you are more likely to be close to the airport property. It has no relevance to communicating with a control tower. The FAA wants you to be able to listen to aircraft making self-announce position calls in and around the traffic pattern so that you, a Remote Pilot, will know where the manned aircraft are in relation to you.
Your post brings up a question for me. I'd be interested in anyone's suggestions or recommendations about a reasonably priced, hand held aviation frequency monitor only radio. Thoughts? I was recently flying some photography trips over farmland in Nebr. (completely class G) and noticed the occasional crop duster. Never near me but I would have like to have had a way to monitor what self-announce calls they might make as they positioned themselves for runs. Thoughts?

Your post brings up a question for me. I'd be interested in anyone's suggestions or recommendations about a reasonably priced, hand held aviation frequency monitor only radio. Thoughts? I was recently flying some photography trips over farmland in Nebr. (completely class G) and noticed the occasional crop duster. Never near me but I would have like to have had a way to monitor what self-announce calls they might make as they positioned themselves for runs. Thoughts?

Unless they have traffic in the area on a common basis they aren’t announcing like that.

I use a Yeasu and love it but there are several less expensive units available now.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4