Part 107 Query

Reaction score
Just took my Part 107 exam and passed it yesterday. Last night, a buddy and I were discussing it, and he seems to think that getting my certificate changes the legal aspects of my flying. I believe that I can continue to fly as a hobbyist or for commercial purposes based on why I'm flying. He thinks I'm considered a commercial pilot any time my drone leaves the ground. Thoughts?

YOU are correct, your buddy is over-thinking it.
However, irresponsible hobby flying can jeopardize your 107.

I'm wondering from a legal standpoint if your drone is registered and marked commercially with the FAA if that makes any difference. I fly 2 drones (Inspire 1 Pro and Mavic Pro) commercially and have them registered as such, I also have a Spark that I did not register commercially because I don't think I'll ever fly it in a commercial capacity.
I had similar discussions when it came to night flying between hobby and commercial, I'm covered now that I have my waiver either way, but the question was can I fly at night in a hobby capacity even though I'm 107 registered.... Just muddying the water a little more LOL

Well it may have seemed muddy in the past but there is no hobby registration anymore so that should help clear that up.
If you owned a taxi, semi-truck, tow-truck, etc. could you only drive it for profit? No. You can go the movies in it if you wish.
It is the intent of the flight which determines the applicable rules and guidelines.

Well it may have seemed muddy in the past but there is no hobby registration anymore so that should help clear that up.
If you owned a taxi, semi-truck, tow-truck, etc. could you only drive it for profit? No. You can go the movies in it if you wish.
It is the intent of the flight which determines the applicable rules and guidelines.
Well said!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1