Part 107 Certification Renewal

Reaction score
Time for me to renew my part 107 certification. Anyone taken the renewal test lately and have words of wisdom? I see the test registration process was updated on Jan 13th. Anything to that? I kind of let it sneak up on me and am short on time. A reminder from the FAA would have been nice. Do I need to take the test within 24 months of initial testing, or 24 months of the date of issue on my current cert? That 4 days could make a difference. If I don't take the renewal test on time, do I just take the initial test again and get a new cert? Anyone know of any reason why I wouldn't want to do that, other than the number of questions is less on the renewal test? If I don't rush it, it'll give me more time to study the test material I've forgotten in the last 2 years. Thanks for any input.

I think as long as you’re 107 certified, you always just need to take the recurrent. However, if you lapse past 2 years I wouldn’t fly until you take your test.

It’s my understanding you don’t even get a new 107 plastic certification. You MUST carry the paper results of your recurrent to prove you took it.

I think as long as you’re 107 certified, you always just need to take the recurrent. However, if you lapse past 2 years I wouldn’t fly until you take your test.

It’s my understanding you don’t even get a new 107 plastic certification. You MUST carry the paper results of your recurrent to prove you took it.

Thanks for your input.
I still take the recurrent test even my cert elapses? Hmm. I guess I better confirm that with FAA since the test registration process is very specific about being sure you register for the correct test.
Not a problem for me to avoid flying under part 107 for a couple weeks in February in Missouri.
And no new plastic card? I have to carry a piece of paper? You'd think they'd get enough money out of that $150 test fee to afford the cost of a new plastic card.

Thanks for your input.
I still take the recurrent test even my cert elapses? Hmm. I guess I better confirm that with FAA since the test registration process is very specific about being sure you register for the correct test.
Not a problem for me to avoid flying under part 107 for a couple weeks in February in Missouri.
And no new plastic card? I have to carry a piece of paper? You'd think they'd get enough money out of that $150 test fee to afford the cost of a new plastic card.

Just make sure to register under Iacra and get your FTN

Thanks for your input.

You only take the Recurrent test regardless if you have exceeded the 24 month period or not.

You do NOT get issued a new card unless you lose/destroy the original and I "think" there is a fee then. That's SOP for Aviation Certificates now.

PS: The testing facility gets the $150 and the FAA is who issues the cards. One doesn't pay the other.

Reactions: N42742
You only take the Recurrent test regardless if you have exceeded the 24 month period or not.

You do NOT get issued a new card unless you lose/destroy the original and I "think" there is a fee then. That's SOP for Aviation Certificates now.

PS: The testing facility gets the $150 and the FAA is who issues the cards. One doesn't pay the other.

Thanks for confirming that info. Guess I assumed that the FAA got a piece of that testing fee to cover costs. BTW, if i read their website correctly, a replacement certificate is only $2.

I believe some material on the initial doesn’t show up on the recurrent. I believe weather has been omitted on the recurrent. And I think flight dynamics or whatever it’s called. But I’d confirm.

My 107 did lapse as I was not flying for a while. The test to renew your license is shorter and easier. As soon as I finished the test, my old certificate was re-activated. No additional paper work.

My 107 did lapse as I was not flying for a while. The test to renew your license is shorter and easier. As soon as I finished the test, my old certificate was re-activated. No additional paper work.

What were the hardest questions you've come across?

Time for me to renew my part 107 certification. Anyone taken the renewal test lately and have words of wisdom? I see the test registration process was updated on Jan 13th. Anything to that? I kind of let it sneak up on me and am short on time. A reminder from the FAA would have been nice. Do I need to take the test within 24 months of initial testing, or 24 months of the date of issue on my current cert? That 4 days could make a difference. If I don't take the renewal test on time, do I just take the initial test again and get a new cert? Anyone know of any reason why I wouldn't want to do that, other than the number of questions is less on the renewal test? If I don't rush it, it'll give me more time to study the test material I've forgotten in the last 2 years. Thanks for any input.
Hi, how did you go about preparing for your Part 107 exam? What online classes or exam prep did you use to prepare?

Hi, how did you go about preparing for your Part 107 exam? What online classes or exam prep did you use to prepare?

2 books - ASA Remote Pilot 2020 Test Prep and Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement (FAA-CT-8080-2H) which is the book you'll use during the actual part 107 test..
In addition to those, any free online practice tests you can find and of course any you tube videos.
9781687567550-us.jpgTP-UAS-20_Web.jpg

Oh, and shop around for those 2 books. You should be able to get them for 15 bucks apiece or less. Half that if used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers