Parachute Recovery System

Wooooow!! Thank u very much for ur concern. My drone is new n battery too new n fully charged.
I already emailed ur support team. N i will also ask the shop to read ur reply n contact u. Thank u very much.

I just bought the mars few hours and that was my first flight after installing the mars. I took off upright and at 100 meter i stopped and slowly turning around 360 degrees for footage. But all of sudden the mayday board deployed the parachute while the drone still on the air.. later the shop who installed agreed that it was amazing that the mayday deployed the parachute where it only supposed to do that when the drone stopped or falls like a rock. its the auto trigger board failures. The shop told me they will try to repair and i m still waiting for their call.
Sorry to hear it.. I have flown the mayday no problems.. Waiting to get my controller back from dji to get some more flights

Well, i m happy for you. but it just went wrong in my case. i hope they will repair and give to me as new drone since my drone is newly bought....

Hi.. this morning i already email the full address of the distributor and contact to maydayboard and kyle and cc to the distributor too. Hope someone from mayday team will call or contact the distributor. The distributor told me they are repairing it but i hope i wont have to bear the cost since the camera itself cost 400,000peso...that is half of the drone price. huh!! i just bought my drone 2 months ago and only used about less 15 times...no scratch n never fell too..this was my first fall and scared to death now..tks.

outstanding.

are you able to upload / post the log from the highest flight? I am wondering whether it can be determined:
- How much vertical distance is required between engine cut & deceleration to whatever the rate of decent is with the chute
- What was the rate of decent with the chute open (reason being I'd be interested to compare that to the 36" chute of the mars.

Hey Dave, sorry I took so long to get back to you. I finally went over the flight data, and unfortunately, there is no FALL data. Apparently the moment I cut the motors the phantom stopped recording data, even though it was still powered. Kind of a dumb set up eh? It seems to only record data when motors are on, so I've got nothing for ya. It was moderately windy that day, but I think it was probably within spec for drop (chute tested with 3kg dropped at 4.9m/s ad that is still pretty fast - but much better than 9.8m/s²). I landed on dirt/straw nubs and a bit of snow with no damage, but I'm sure if you landed on concrete you will bust props at minimum, and maybe even crack an arm or two. But $100 for a new body is much better than a whole new phantom, because at 50m on to concrete without chute, I doubt there would be much to salvage).

First off, sorry about the crash! I know that this is very frustrating, and I want to make sure that you are completely taken care of. Send an email to [email protected] or [email protected] so that we can figure out exactly what happened. Usually, the issue is a bad battery or calibration. (It sounds like it was calibrated incorrectly by the distributor.)

If you send us the contact information for the dealer that is managing your repair we will arrange to cover the costs.
I think it's fantastic that you guys are stepping up to the plate on this - good on ha

I think it's fantastic that you guys are stepping up to the plate on this - good on ha
i m sure the shop did not fix it well..since, soon after the shop installed the mars.. i was very happy that i m more safer and rushed to the park to fly it...the battery is fully charged... i have 2 spare batteries and always full charge. i m sure the shop had done some mistakes not the mayday board mistake. i will update soon once i hear from the shop..my drone is still under repair and they told me this week...tks for all the courage words...

i m sure the shop did not fix it well..since, soon after the shop installed the mars.. i was very happy that i m more safer and rushed to the park to fly it...the battery is fully charged... i have 2 spare batteries and always full charge. i m sure the shop had done some mistakes not the mayday board mistake. i will update soon once i hear from the shop..my drone is still under repair and they told me this week...tks for all the courage words...

Tho was the battery you were using to power the mayday board fully charged??? if the battery powering the mayday board goes flat it will cause it to deploy.

Hey Dave, sorry I took so long to get back to you. I finally went over the flight data, and unfortunately, there is no FALL data. Apparently the moment I cut the motors the phantom stopped recording data, even though it was still powered. Kind of a dumb set up eh? It seems to only record data when motors are on, so I've got nothing for ya. It was moderately windy that day, but I think it was probably within spec for drop (chute tested with 3kg dropped at 4.9m/s ad that is still pretty fast - but much better than 9.8m/s²). I landed on dirt/straw nubs and a bit of snow with no damage, but I'm sure if you landed on concrete you will bust props at minimum, and maybe even crack an arm or two. But $100 for a new body is much better than a whole new phantom, because at 50m on to concrete without chute, I doubt there would be much to salvage).
thanks .. saw the video .. was great and probably the best thing you could land on besides pillows. thanks for checking the data. I did order a 48" chute and will see if I can fit it into the mars 2. thanks for checking!

Tho was the battery you were using to power the mayday board fully charged??? if the battery powering the mayday board goes flat it will cause it to deploy.
Hi James, Before even i bought the drone. I watched youtube and read many forums and fully aware of the battery. I have 3 batteries and charge them fully before each flight. My drone is 2 month old and only played 15 times or less. I seldom have time to play. the battery and drone is brand new.
When i decided to install the mars for more security and after installing it before my first flight after installing it. I asked the shop if the mayday can prematurely deploy the parachute? they have said nothing about the battery or calibration. I even asked them if the firmware will cause some problems..they said nothing to do with firmware too. The mayday board has its own sensor and only will trigger when the drone stop n falling like a rock...even it wont trigger with minor falls like we moving it fast..
If the shop told me...the battery failure or low voltage may cost it to auto trigger. Surely i will never let them to install the mayday...since, many of us flying the drone n returning with low level battery..30% and 10% critical. that means...there will be frequent incident like mine..so, the mayday should not trigger when the battery going low...this kind of product should not be in the market too..m i right... the shop demo to me..by throwing up the drone n it it fall..i saw the parachute deployed when it fell hard... but in my case, the drone was on the air..slowly moving 360 when the parachuted deployed and the string got tangled with the propeller and the propeller slowly stopped..u can see the footage...when it fell...the string was all over the motor n stuck with the propeller too..the parachute was unable to open fully since the string was stuck. so, if anyone tells...the mayday can trigger if battery problems..then we cannot use that product..since we all fly far n many returning with 30% battery power left. tks for ur comment.

First off, sorry about the crash! I know that this is very frustrating, and I want to make sure that you are completely taken care of. Send an email to [email protected] or [email protected] so that we can figure out exactly what happened. Usually, the issue is a bad battery or calibration. (It sounds like it was calibrated incorrectly by the distributor.)

If you send us the contact information for the dealer that is managing your repair we will arrange to cover the costs.

Dear KYLE,

This is what you have to know… Before even i bought the drone. I watched youtube and read many forums and fully aware of the battery. I have 3 batteries and charge them fully before each flight. My drone is 2 month old and only played 15 times or less. I seldom have time to play. the battery and drone is brand new.

When i decided to install the mars for more security and after installing it before my first flight after installing it.

I asked the shop if the mayday can prematurely deploy the parachute? They said..never since it has its own sensor. Only deploy when it falls like a rock.

they have said nothing about the battery or calibration.

I even asked them if the firmware will cause some problems..they said nothing to do with firmware too.

The mayday board has its own sensor and only will trigger when the drone stop n falling like a rock...

even it wont trigger with minor falls like when we are moving it fast..

If the shop told me...the battery failure or low voltage may cost it to auto trigger. Surely i will never let them to install the mayday...but get the manual trigger device. So, I can pull the trigger when the time is right…since if the propeller is still spinning it wont be a good time to trigger the parachute since the string will tangle with the propeller which happened to me.

I don’t get it if we think the battery can cause the auto trigger…since, many of us flying the drone n returning with low level battery..30% and 10% critical. that means...

there will be frequent incident like mine.... the shop demo to me..by throwing up the drone n it it fall..i saw the parachute deployed when it fell hard...

but in my case, the drone was on the air..slowly moving 360 when the parachuted deployed and the string got tangled with the propeller and the propeller slowly stopped..u can see the footage...when it fell...the string was all over the motor n stuck with the propeller too..the parachute was unable to open fully since the string was stuck. .

I hope with this confirmation. You will understand more about what happened before I install n fly the drone. Be informed that it was my first flight after installing the mayday. So, the mayday board was brand new but due to some error it failed. As you said…may be the shop did not install it correctly. Chances are there some error by the shop.

Thank you very much.

Alex I'm sure Kyle will respond. Just FYI though when I installed my mayday I used an external battery, so the power for the mayday and chute does not come from the phantom itself (couldn't tell on yours whether the shop wired it to the phantom battery). Mine is a simple 9V lithium at the moment, so I do have to be careful about low voltage, but I think the floor voltage for the mayday might be lower than what your phantom would have been supplying at 30% capacity .. you'd have to check. (meaning that even if the phantom battery showed 30% capacity, it would likely still put out sufficient voltage for the mayday based on the mayday published specs). The reason I went with an external battery is that the design supports it and in the event of power failure (phantom battery fails or for some reason falls out), I wanted a power supply available to deploy the chute. Anyway, best to hear directly from Kyle as he investigates with you..just wanted to let you know about the battery supply though in the meantime.

Reactions: TJ Alex
Alex I'm sure Kyle will respond. Just FYI though when I installed my mayday I used an external battery, so the power for the mayday and chute does not come from the phantom itself (couldn't tell on yours whether the shop wired it to the phantom battery). Mine is a simple 9V lithium at the moment, so I do have to be careful about low voltage, but I think the floor voltage for the mayday might be lower than what your phantom would have been supplying at 30% capacity .. you'd have to check. (meaning that even if the phantom battery showed 30% capacity, it would likely still put out sufficient voltage for the mayday based on the mayday published specs). The reason I went with an external battery is that the design supports it and in the event of power failure (phantom battery fails or for some reason falls out), I wanted a power supply available to deploy the chute. Anyway, best to hear directly from Kyle as he investigates with you..just wanted to let you know about the battery supply though in the meantime.
Hi Dave, tks for ur advise. I did not see any external battery attached. So, they used the drone battery for the mayday. When I installed the mayday I did asked the shop if the device may trigger prematurely. If the firmware may create any problems but they confirm nothing to do since the mayday has its own sensors that only deploy when the drone stop n falling like a rock.
If they told m some stories about battery surely I never get the mayday board but the manual transmission. N my battery was fully charged too. N my battery n drone is 2 months old n I only used less then 15 flight. I seldom play..
The shop told me, the mayday only trigger when the drone falling fast like a rock.. I hope Kyle will answer our doubts soon. Tks n all the best to u..

Reactions: davestern2
Will this work on a phantom vision two plus and how much for it
The Mars parachute can be installed in any phantom since its external set ups. I bought the parachute for 89,000 peso or around usd140. N the mayday board for around 230usd but both cost around 380usd But paid extra about usd40 for installation fee.Since the currency is bad now. But I suggest u to buy the manual trigger if u have money.. Since u can pull the trigger when the drone stop n falling.. U can wait till it fall to a safe distance n full the trigger so, the drone won't fly away to other places. Imagine if ur drone is at 300 meters n the parachute deploy.. Trust me.. Ur drone may land over a mile away from u or even 2 miles if the wind blows bad.. So, it's more safer to wait n pull when it is near to u.. The manual trigger is more expensive. It is around 300usd plus..

Last edited:
Dear KYLE,

This is what you have to know… Before even i bought the drone. I watched youtube and read many forums and fully aware of the battery. I have 3 batteries and charge them fully before each flight. My drone is 2 month old and only played 15 times or less. I seldom have time to play. the battery and drone is brand new.

When i decided to install the mars for more security and after installing it before my first flight after installing it.

I asked the shop if the mayday can prematurely deploy the parachute? They said..never since it has its own sensor. Only deploy when it falls like a rock.

they have said nothing about the battery or calibration.

I even asked them if the firmware will cause some problems..they said nothing to do with firmware too.

The mayday board has its own sensor and only will trigger when the drone stop n falling like a rock...

even it wont trigger with minor falls like when we are moving it fast..

If the shop told me...the battery failure or low voltage may cost it to auto trigger. Surely i will never let them to install the mayday...but get the manual trigger device. So, I can pull the trigger when the time is right…since if the propeller is still spinning it wont be a good time to trigger the parachute since the string will tangle with the propeller which happened to me.

I don’t get it if we think the battery can cause the auto trigger…since, many of us flying the drone n returning with low level battery..30% and 10% critical. that means...

there will be frequent incident like mine.... the shop demo to me..by throwing up the drone n it it fall..i saw the parachute deployed when it fell hard...

but in my case, the drone was on the air..slowly moving 360 when the parachuted deployed and the string got tangled with the propeller and the propeller slowly stopped..u can see the footage...when it fell...the string was all over the motor n stuck with the propeller too..the parachute was unable to open fully since the string was stuck. .

I hope with this confirmation. You will understand more about what happened before I install n fly the drone. Be informed that it was my first flight after installing the mayday. So, the mayday board was brand new but due to some error it failed. As you said…may be the shop did not install it correctly. Chances are there some error by the shop.

Thank you very much.
Dear Kyle. The distributor told me they are contacting mayday team n I already email u too. Did u got the email? Tks

Hi Carman, it been 2 days plus since i emailed kyle and mayday team. no reply from them. I also message kyle that the distributor contacting mayday team through emails... but no reply.. i think i have to wait for awhile. my drone already 7 days now still at shop... the shop wondering how to get the new camera since it was broken. the camera itself cost usd400 plus ok. half the drone price..huh!!

Hi Carman, it been 2 days plus since i emailed kyle and mayday team. no reply from them. I also message kyle that the distributor contacting mayday team through emails... but no reply.. i think i have to wait for awhile. my drone already 7 days now still at shop... the shop wondering how to get the new camera since it was broken. the camera itself cost usd400 plus ok. half the drone price..huh!!

Hi Alex,

Our team contacted the shop and sent you a direct message through email on the 2nd (Wednesday). We talked to the vendor that set up your Mayday, and the cost of your repair should be covered completely. We will also be sending the vendor a modified copy of our diagnostics software to figure out what happened when it deployed. (The Mayday stores the data for every deployment in its memory.)

Now, I would like to point out that in the statements above you never mentioned anything about personally setting up the Mayday or learning how to calibrate/run through basic use for it on your own. With a device such as the Mayday knowing how it works and how to go through the basic setup steps is incredibly important.
By looking at the video shared it appears as though at some point before takeoff the device was calibrated incorrectly in the wrong axis of orientation. Since it was calibrated in the wrong orientation, the quick 360-degree turn caused the mayday to deploy the parachute. (I know that this alone is a design flaw, and we are working on a firmware patch to make sure that a bad calibration can never cause a false deployment again.) There are quite a lot of Maydays in use all over the world and of the very few that have had issues we found that it was essentially always due to improper setup.

The shop told me, the mayday only trigger when the drone falling fast like a rock..
Freefall is only one of the many different parts to our crash detection algorithm. You can read more about the Mayday on our website here: www.maydayboards.com

Once again, my apologies for all the trouble and I hope that you can get back in the air as soon as possible!

Reactions: davestern2
If it was some how wired in to be powered from the phantoms battery it would seem it would have to get pretty run down to go below the low voltage cut off voltage of 3 point some thing volts.
and from the video it looks as if they phantom was still powered on the whole time even after the chute deployed. So it would seem that it should of not been from the voltage being below the cut out voltage.

I have a separate 200ma single cell battery that is used to power the mayday completely independent from the flight battery in the phantom. If I just arm the mayday and let it sit it goes for a bit over 4 hours before the tiny battery gets so low that it starts shutting off the mayday then after it shuts off and the voltage rises back up over the low voltage cut off point it will try to power back on and each time it does that the relay will chatter or move some and it will deploy.

Hi Alex,

Our team contacted the shop and sent you a direct message through email on the 2nd (Wednesday). We talked to the vendor that set up your Mayday, and the cost of your repair should be covered completely. We will also be sending the vendor a modified copy of our diagnostics software to figure out what happened when it deployed. (The Mayday stores the data for every deployment in its memory.)

Now, I would like to point out that in the statements above you never mentioned anything about personally setting up the Mayday or learning how to calibrate/run through basic use for it on your own. With a device such as the Mayday knowing how it works and how to go through the basic setup steps is incredibly important.
By looking at the video shared it appears as though at some point before takeoff the device was calibrated incorrectly in the wrong axis of orientation. Since it was calibrated in the wrong orientation, the quick 360-degree turn caused the mayday to deploy the parachute. (I know that this alone is a design flaw, and we are working on a firmware patch to make sure that a bad calibration can never cause a false deployment again.) There are quite a lot of Maydays in use all over the world and of the very few that have had issues we found that it was essentially always due to improper setup.

Freefall is only one of the many different parts to our crash detection algorithm. You can read more about the Mayday on our website here: www.maydayboards.com

Once again, my apologies for all the trouble and I hope that you can get back in the air as soon as possible!
Dear Kyle, Thank you for your reply. I was thinking its going to take few weeks more. Kyle, I received one email from you with some questions and also with the question who installed. I already answered all in that email. But for our good understanding, i did not install anything. all are done by the shop. when i went to collect. i asked them:
1. will the mayday prematurely deploy the parachute when i fly them up n down or moving.. they said never!!
2. i asked them, if the drone firmware will interfere with the mayday..they said, nope..the mayday board has nothing to do with the firmware since it has its own sensor that only trigger when the drone fells like a rock..he also demo to me...by holding the drone and moving up n down but the parachute did not deployed..but when he drop it from above his head...the parachute deployed... he did not even told me about the calibration n so so...
he only taught me how to fold the parachute n hold the red button n green to put back the parachute if it deployed someday...
3. when i went to play...like usual...i will check the compass and calibrated it till i see all green n check the rth too..to make sure it will return home if lost control. before this incident. i was doing well with my drone..no mistales n never once fell or failed..
4. if u mean the device was not calibrated correctly...then i m sorry since i was not informed and the shop told me...they have installs in many drones n they did all correct to me n ensure that it will never fail..
5. i m sorry that the shop did not or forget to calibrate but its surprise to me since the told me nothing to do with firmware. the mayday is alone with its sensor. but now u giving me some new theory that the mayday needs to calibrate but i did calibrate the drone before take off..
5. so, now i get you clear..that the mayday was not fix correctly...
What i will do is...after i get back my bird...i will go back to all my forums n youtube to change my statement from failure device to improper set up and forget to calibrate before took off.. i think this is fair statement and views will never get it wrong. i will surely change all my statement soon but i will now change it in my youtube first..u will see in minutes time..that i will remove failure of device to improper set up. I hope this will make u happy too..Thank you very much...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic