Reaction score
I'm wondering if the parachute system I installed self deployed because of cell towers .

The parachute is only supposed to deploy when the phantom flips to 80 degrees but
I watched it open as I was hovering, panicking I tried to slowly lower it but that seemed
to make the parachute shoot up and the strings wrapped around the motors causing it to
fall to the ground. You can see the camera shake as it springs out around 8 seconds in.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Luckily it was low at the time and It landed on a car tyre (thank you fly tippers) so it just has
minor scratches.(update needed new camera)

The parachute System is one from maplin designed for the Hubsan X4 but Ive modified it to fit.
Hubsan Parachute Recovery System | Maplin

Strange thing is Ive been trying to get it to self deploy again but no luck yet.

Does anyone know if the chute uses a mechanical tilt switch to trigger ?
I noticed after only from video footage and healthydrones log that there were cell phone towers
in the horizon and I also had a lot of gps errors in healthy drones.

Could this trigger an electronic gyro ?

Last edited:
Just curios why would one put a parachute on a droin ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I will tell you problem is a parachute you fitted to drone if you need a parachute that isn't made for dji product well that's the problem

Just curios why would one put a parachute on a droin ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
If you happen to have an hexacopter, and one motor goes off or a propeller breaks, the other 5 motors/propellers can still hold your bird in the air so you can land it (naza v2 controller accounts for the lack of one propeller). However, of you got a quadcopter, like the Phantom 3/4, with only 3 propellers your bird would fall like a rock, crashing hardly on the ground, and you would wish you had a parachute system to minimize the loss. Got it? [emoji6]

Vitor Damiani

I'm wondering if the parachute system I installed self deployed because of cell towers .

The parachute is only supposed to deploy when the phantom flips to 80 degrees but
I watched it open as I was hovering, panicking I tried to slowly lower it but that seemed
to make the parachute shoot up and the strings wrapped around the motors causing it to
fall to the ground. You can see the camera shake as it springs out around 8 seconds in.

Luckily it was low at the time and It landed on a car tyre (thank you fly tippers) so it just has
minor scratches.

The parachute System is one from maplin designed for the Hubsan X4 but Ive modified it to fit.
Hubsan Parachute Recovery System | Maplin

Strange thing is Ive been trying to get it to self deploy again but no luck yet.

Does anyone know if the chute uses a mechanical tilt switch to trigger ?
I noticed after only from video footage and healthydrones log that there were cell phone towers
in the horizon and I also had a lot of gps errors in healthy drones.

Could this trigger an electronic gyro ?
I now know the tilt switch in the parachute is an accelerometer tilt sensor (electronic like the ones used in smartphones)

I have checked the circuitry and its just a small board with nothing to break so I still don't know why it deployed .

Can these suffer from interference ?

The parachute is only supposed to deploy when the phantom flips to 80 degrees.
not all sensors measure the flip. some can use barometer and some use gyro/accel
check stop fall module, it's alternative to mayday and has innovate calculating method to avoid false deploys. actually you can even fly in acro mode and it won't shot until you really start falling.

If it doesn't use gyro/accelerometer or barometer what innovative calculation method does it use ?

The price is better than some but will wait for some test pilots as don't trust these now.I still haven't been able to diagnose why mine deployed with the one from maplin .

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic