Parabolic reflectors... best $14. I’ve spent

Reaction score
Hi gang,
Picked up a pair of those gold colored parabolic reflectors a couple weeks ago from Amazon at the suggestion a fellow droner friend. Put them in my bag and didn’t use them.
Today, I flew out over water to shoot a subject one mile away. I have flown farther than this before with no signal loss. Nevertheless, I started to get two bars, no bars for a second, then four bars. In other words, erratic behavior. So, while the RC was pointing at the bird, I grabbed the parabolic reflectors and slipped them over the antennas.
Instantly, I had a solid four bars, which never waivered once throughout the remainder of my flight.
Just wanted to pass this along... they are worth the small outlay of cash that they cost. The only caveat is that they must be pointed towards the bird at all time, as they are very directional.
Hope this helps...

I agree, best money ever spent.

I am by no means in a densely populated area but we do have a lot of trees around.

With these on and height, I can out fly the battery.

Reactions: Nesher
Hi gang,
Picked up a pair of those gold colored parabolic reflectors a couple weeks ago from Amazon at the suggestion a fellow droner friend. Put them in my bag and didn’t use them.
Today, I flew out over water to shoot a subject one mile away. I have flown farther than this before with no signal loss. Nevertheless, I started to get two bars, no bars for a second, then four bars. In other words, erratic behavior. So, while the RC was pointing at the bird, I grabbed the parabolic reflectors and slipped them over the antennas.
Instantly, I had a solid four bars, which never waivered once throughout the remainder of my flight.
Just wanted to pass this along... they are worth the small outlay of cash that they cost. The only caveat is that they must be pointed towards the bird at all time, as they are very directional.
Hope this helps...

Care to tell us what exact set you bought?

Interesting. I have a par in my bag too and never used them. But I will keep bring them with me!

I finally ordered some, will get here today. I live out in the woods so I’m frequently behind some trees. Will report back - I have a pretty broad data set to compare signal strength against here at home. Ultimately would love one of the real antenna mods but not ready to drop the $$ yet.

They def help in some situations for sure! Just make sure you stay turned at your bird though. Because when you turn away most of your signal is now not getting to the bird.

Reactions: Nesher
Yeah, physics is a real jerk sometimes :D

Since I live out in the woods, I can fly at home. Over this past year it has been super interesting seeing the changes in signal strength from very early spring with almost no leaves (great range), to the full spring with lots of water in the trees (worst!), a wet summer (better than spring but still not great) to now a very dry fall with leaves still on the trees (better than summer). There were some spots I could fly to in the very early spring that I haven't been able to get anywhere close to since. Not only the leaves but so much more water in them and the trees really killing that signal.

With the leaves turning here I've been doing a ton of foliage shots. On calmer days I brave descending below the canopy into openings - any extra signal whatsover is helpful! Anyways, I'll report back on any differences. :)

I agree 100%. They have to be pointed toward the drone when at a distant because almost all the power out AND received signal back is directed by The reflected signal. This design also rejects most interference from other directions which makes them valuable in a “noisy” enviorment. Mine st 7,500 feet out and 400 feet altitude shows a 100% signal on both read outs (Litchi) but by aiming maybe 10 degrees off the signals drop fast. So, also Best $14.00 spent on drones.
Jim
WA5TEF

So my initial experience is kinda meh for my use Case. It kinda makes sense unfortunately, but the reflectors made a minimal difference in range when it comes to penetrating trees. Best Case 10%-15% in my reasonably controlled testing. It seemed to be more than that in the clearer line-of-site testing tho

I've used these over two years, great value. What gulfstream bought is the one to buy IMO. These foldable Windsurfers are easy to pack, keep the antennas parallel, and are always together so you can't lose one antenna reflector. If used correctly it can almost double the flight range, past 4 miles, even in suburban areas on 5.8Ghz band.

Reactions: Gulfstream
Yes! Love them for distance flying! Quickly installed and removed, folded face to face and slip into my pocket. Very well built and and easy to use. They do make a huge distance difference.
Jim
WA5TEF

I look forward to giving them a whirl in a more open area soon. They are a bit hard to come by here in the northeast. :)

I look forward to giving them a whirl in a more open area soon. They are a bit hard to come by here in the northeast. :)
I can order from Amazon and get them in two days, to Mississippi. Amazon has become my everything supplier. I hate shopping!!!
Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

Hah, no I meant finding an nice open area is a bit hard to come by here in the northeast! Everywhere is wooded, even the flat open areas tend to have tree boundaries, so a place where you're flying with little to no trees is a treasure hunt. And my testing yesterday showed a difference but a minimal difference in terms of signal strength and penetration through the trees. But you and many others have reported a much bigger impact when it comes to their usage in open areas - I've got a few I can fly at so I'll give them a try next time I make it out to one of them.

I hate shopping, too. :) Amazon Prime = Life!

Yes DaRana, I agree with you!! In my case, its similar to yours but I am surrounded by large farmland fields where I can get several thousand feet away and watch the signals through Litchi. The 7,500 loop I take has been shielded by trees so I fly up to 400 feet to get a more line of sight which probably puts my drone above the tree line. But in my tests, I still have 100% signal on both readouts. I think one is video and the other telemetry. I usually fly Litchi waypoint missions and just let the drone fly by itself while I watch the video and signal strengths. I also plan to do some tests by yawing the drone 360 degrees and keeping the reflectors directed to it and record the signals at different points around the compass, probably every ten degrees. I tried this earlier but I was out only some 2,500 feet and the signals were very strong so could not tell too much about the directivity of the drone's antennas and radiation pattern.

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

I got a parabolic reflector for my P3S which was achieving about 300m of range before losing radio control signal. After getting a $5 reflector of eBay I can say I easily double that distance.

Great performance for a no frills product!

The only issue I find is that the antennas have to be pointed right towards the drone - just pointing the controller a few centimetres in any other direction can kill the signal straight away!!

I got a parabolic reflector for my P3S which was achieving about 300m of range before losing radio control signal. After getting a $5 reflector of eBay I can say I easily double that distance.

Iflyp3s, yep they are working just like they are supposed to. Why waste power in any other direction? My pair are very directional and are similar to aiming a rifle. I gladly give up the point anywhere capability for the increased range. Good observational too !!! Thanks for replying.
Jim
WA5TEF
Great performance for a no frills product!

The only issue I find is that the antennas have to be pointed right towards the drone - just pointing the controller a few centimetres in any other direction can kill the signal straight away!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl