PANIC SEA WATER HELP!!!

Reaction score
my p2v+ just had a dip in some salt water, lost sight of her getting sunrise shots. It happened 10 mins ago. The camera and under carriage went into the water, camera fully submerged and undercarriage enough that she was dripping water out, a good bit. Props didn't and was able to pull her back up under her own power. Camera feed went dead but I still had tx control to get her back. Battery taken straight out but what now??? Open her and under the tap and dry out with rice for 2 days???
All help very much appreciated!!!

**** dude, sorry to hear that.

Rinse in fresh water for like 5 to 15 minutes then hit it with alcohol, the good stuff, and blow dry that puppy till the sun comes up.

Sounds goofy, well, do you like your bird?

EDIT: I forgot you're on the other side of the planet... Till the sun goes down.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
No booze **** because I could do with a good swig. Fresh water and on the hunt for a hair dryer. These pics better be good

I would never, well maybe not never, suggest you use "Adult Beverage" type alcohol. I meant some of the high proof rubbing alcohol. But, then again, that has additives which will leave, I don't know what kind of residue. OK, back to the Vodka. Pour it over the affected parts, catch it in a bowl, transfer the contents of the bowl into a canister and let it ferment until you have a successful flight with your bird.

Reason to celebrate with a special mixture of electronic residue and sea water. Ahhh, that's good.

Just got to the nearest garage and gave it a good blasting with a compressor, 10 mins from home and then the mini screwdrivers will be out

Just got to the nearest garage and gave it a good blasting with a compressor, 10 mins from home and then the mini screwdrivers will be out

Nice, go man go.
You are in the worst possible environment I can think of for dealing with this so extreme measures are in order. I'm headed to google for more advice.

Just dropped this on your other thread but will leave it here too...

We just had a gentleman in the other day that crashed his P2 into the ocean in Florida. He called us up immediately asking for any assistance. We had him rinse down the unit with fresh water and drop it in a big bucket of rice for 72 hours. He then sent us the unit for us to do some in depth testing on, about 85% of the craft was perfectly fine. Most surprisingly, the gimbal still worked 100%. Rich works magic but I think the other key thing is rinsing it with fresh water to prevent any corrosion.

Hopefully this helps and let us know in a couple of days how things turn out. Best of luck! :D

Just dropped this on your other thread but will leave it here too...

We just had a gentleman in the other day that crashed his P2 into the ocean in Florida. He called us up immediately asking for any assistance. We had him rinse down the unit with fresh water and drop it in a big bucket of rice for 72 hours. He then sent us the unit for us to do some in depth testing on, about 85% of the craft was perfectly fine. Most surprisingly, the gimbal still worked 100%. Rich works magic but I think the other key thing is rinsing it with fresh water to prevent any corrosion.

Hopefully this helps and let us know in a couple of days how things turn out. Best of luck! :D

Can you share with us which 15% wasn't OK so Mal can focus on those areas?
Thanks much.

Reactions: Advexure
Can you share with us which 15% wasn't OK so Mal can focus on those areas?
Thanks much.

You bet, if I remember right, 2 ESCs were fried and the FC was suspect. Motors were tested to the limits and all seemed to be fine. One big suggestion when you pull it out of the rice is to take a can of air to the motors and and gimbal motors to make sure you don't have any rice jammed in any of the motors. Another P2V+ we've seen in with water damage had a shot Wi-Fi transmission module. Those are very sensitive so I would be very surprised if that makes it out OK.

Here is what I have so far.

Get some alcohol, **** the drink, use it on the bird.
Find some Qtips, go to the neighbor's if you have to. Dip and scrub any and all exposed electrical parts which have been contaminated with salt. Try to clean them before they dry. Air may not have been the best idea, but that's what I would have done too.

Try to remove whatever salt residue you can find and do whatever you can to dry it afterwards. I'm not sure how things work over there, but my refrigerator is dryer than my house, and I live in 30 to 60% humidity.

You bet, if I remember right, 2 ESCs were fried and the FC was suspect. Motors were tested to the limits and all seemed to be fine. One big suggestion when you pull it out of the rice is to take a can of air to the motors and and gimbal motors to make sure you don't have any rice jammed in any of the motors. Another P2V+ we've seen in with water damage had a shot Wi-Fi transmission module. Those are very sensitive so I would be very surprised if that makes it out OK.

Good stuff, thanks

Yep, sounds like the ESCs are going to be a pain in the ***. It does sound like they may have been spared, somewhat.

Hmm, Air, Water, Alcohol... sounds like we just need food. :rolleyes: Sorry, sidetracked for a moment.

Good stuff, thanks

Yep, sounds like the ESCs are going to be a pain in the ***. It does sound like they may have been spared, somewhat.

Hmm, Air, Water, Alcohol... sounds like we just need food. :rolleyes: Sorry, sidetracked for a moment.

Haha cheers mates, I'm out for the night. @Mal_PV2_Ireland be sure to report back! Best of luck.

Without googling it, here's what I know about alcohol.
This is about alcohol here in the US.
Your basic rubbing alcohol is denatured with some kind of oily substance which makes it intolerable for consumption. The good stuff I was referring to is setting right next to it on the shelf at the store, but runs 90% vs 70% and has much less of the oily stuff. It would be better to use the good stuff.

Do NOT use a Liquor. They have too much sugar in them.

Vodka, Whiskey, Everclear, your neighbors "special stuff".

Ok Mal, how we doing? How many pieces are laying about?

Got her fully submerged in water and we'll rinsed out under running water after for 15 mins. She's in about 15 different parts drying out. Going to get rice now and leave her set for a few days, keep everything crossed lads!

Reactions: IflyinWY
I was getting some nice shots too until I decided to go for the dramatic shots as usual but flying under that low bridge from 250m away with the low sun rising wasn't such a great idea :(
Hopefully these aren't her last shots...
1.JPG
1.JPG
DJI00390.JPG
111.jpg

There it is.

I'll check back later.

**** nice pics Mal.
I'm going to steal at least one of them. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.