P5

Reaction score
Whispers and rumors but nothing tangible. Any news on when (if) DJI plans on releasing the P5P?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the news I've seen makes it seem like there isn't going to be a Phantom 5. DJI hasn't officially confirmed either way though.

Reactions: beakeru2
ive been reading the same news about no 5... However , I did just purchase a Pro 4..
Soo it would not surprise me one bit if the 5 comes out real soon.. That is my luck..

Reactions: sdileon
Ditching the Phantom line would likely leave the market open for another manufacturer to sell drones based on the Phantom form factor.

Curious to know what you like about the Phantom form factor. Very happy with my P4P but if the Mavic had comparable picture quality / focal length I would have gone with it in a heartbeat.

For me , it is nothing more than being a creature of habit ..
I took the plunge on a p3p expecting to have buyers remorse, and wound up being amazed of this new hobby..
got a good deal on a p4p so I went ahead and jumped on it not knowing if the phantoms were going to go by way of the doe doe bird ..
I'm so very happy with the phantom , I don't plan on ever going with another model despite the great reviews ..
I'm that guy all the other guys call "stupid loyal"

Reactions: Phill2
Ditching the Phantom line would likely leave the market open for another manufacturer to sell drones based on the Phantom form factor.
Autel didn’t seem to take too much of DJI’s market share. DJI probably is more worried about people matching or bettering what their next offerings might be than phantom look alikes.

Curious to know what you like about the Phantom form factor. Very happy with my P4P but if the Mavic had comparable picture quality / focal length I would have gone with it in a heartbeat.
Flying both there isn’t a lot lost with the 28 vs 24mm (35mm equiv) FOV. Image quality is as good or better for stills and in actual use the 4K issues people were moaning about in the test chart aliasing whinging are of little if no consequence if you can sharpen in post.

I find the Phantom form factor provides for a very easy to fly drone which gives a very stable camera platform
You will find the electronics and software provide for the performance and ease of use- not the shape. I’m not sure if the phantom or a house brick would win in an aerodynamics contest. The reality probably is that limited budget and design expertise were a big factor in the original phantom design. It’s pretty much all it had to be to function and nothing more.

I am unable to envision use of a drone which requires landing on terra firma - hand catching a mavic seems....unsafe.
I Agree ... very tricky
I am rarely in a situation where I can land a phantom on the ground ... even with its legs ... have no chance of landing a mavic without getting caught up in bushes and grass
All flights with my Phantoms (except training and testing on my own lawn) are caught by hand.
I've had to operate from a boat in the ocean, landing a mavic could produce amusing youtube footage ... is there a waterproof mavic yet? might be useful :)

Even under good conditions you have to remember to turn the mavic's downward sensors off to land them on your hand otherwise they try to avoid you ... and from above, ouch

I Agree ... very tricky
I am rarely in a situation where I can land a phantom on the ground ... even with its legs ... have no chance of landing a mavic without getting caught up in bushes and grass
All flights with my Phantoms (except training and testing on my own lawn) are caught by hand.
I've had to operate from a boat in the ocean, landing a mavic could produce amusing youtube footage ... is there a waterproof mavic yet? might be useful :)

Even under good conditions you have to remember to turn the mavic's downward sensors off to land them on your hand otherwise they try to avoid you ... and from above, ouch
OA on isn't a major issue- just hold the throttle down and it will continue towards your hand. I haven't landed the M2 on the ground on many occasions- usually not many options from where I fly from.

You actually only need to disable the Landing Protection setting if you want to prevent the Mavic from ascending when reaching up to grab it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing