P4P v2 compass issue

Reaction score
I've had the P4p v2 for two weeks. And it's flown really well. Shot 6 jobs already. It's so stable. When I need to do a tracking shot to the side, it goes exactly in line. No drifting.
Mostly. But today after maybe 20 flights, when I started up, the compass symbol was facing the opposite direction. And when I pushed the stick forward, of flew backwards. Pull back, it went forward.

And even with several restarts, it still did it, and had a hard time getting a GPS lock.
Eventually , with multiple restarts, quitting Go, restarting the RC, finally got it right.
But I don't know why, nor could I find a way to Calibrate the compass.
WTF?

Also even when I'm doing successful flights - and I've ranged out 2000' feet.
I tried to do the Reset the Homepoint to my current position, and I always get a message about how the GPS signal is too weak and it can't do it.
What's up with that?

Any thoughts ??

Oh yes: Brand new P4p v2
Brand new iPad 2018 - 9.7"
Newest version of Go4 (as of 16 days ago)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sixgun89
I tried to do the Reset the Homepoint to my current position, and I always get a message about how the GPS signal is too weak and it can't do it.
What's up with that?
Perhaps you bought a wifi only iPad which does not have GPS to determine your current position.

Perhaps you bought a wifi only iPad which does not have GPS to determine your current position.
Actually, no. I bought the full boat Cellular version- but did not activate an account. But I do use my Personal Hotspot on my phone.
As I've done for the past 4 years on my P3p

Do you need to have the cell account working for that feature (reset Homepoint) ?

What's up with that?
The error message is poorly worded.
It means no GPS signal rather than a weak signal.
Do you need to have the cell account working for that feature (reset Homepoint) ?
No, cell service has nothing to do with GPS.
You need to be in a position where your tablet has a clear view of the sky and you have to turn the GPS receiver on in the tablet's Location Settings.

Reactions: Oso
when I started up, the compass symbol was facing the opposite direction. And when I pushed the stick forward, of flew backwards. Pull back, it went forward.
And even with several restarts, it still did it, and had a hard time getting a GPS lock.
Eventually , with multiple restarts, quitting Go, restarting the RC, finally got it right.
WTF?
What you describe is a bit puzzling but having the red plane icon facing the wrong way sounds like a problem.
What can you tell about the launch point?
Was it on or close to steel or reinforced concrete?

Compass calibration is in the app settings - but it shouldn't ever be necessary to calibrate the compass unless you rebuild or modify the Phantom.

Reactions: indyphantom
The error message is poorly worded.
It means no GPS signal rather than a weak signal.

No, cell service has nothing to do with GPS.
You need to be in a position where your tablet has a clear view of the sky and you have to turn the GPS receiver on in the tablet's Location Settings.
Location Services are ON, DJI Go 3 & 4 have access while Using the app.

Location Services are ON, DJI Go 3 & 4 have access while Using the app.
Is GPS enabled in Location Services?
I don't have an Apple device to see how their settings look but in Android devices there are different options for Location Services and only one involved the use of GPS.

For Apple iOS youneithee have a location services on or off.
Then for every app there are options to either Block, Use them While Using the App, or All the Time.

Last edited:
I've had the P4p v2 for two weeks. And it's flown really well. Shot 6 jobs already. It's so stable. When I need to do a tracking shot to the side, it goes exactly in line. No drifting.
Mostly. But today after maybe 20 flights, when I started up, the compass symbol was facing the opposite direction. And when I pushed the stick forward, of flew backwards. Pull back, it went forward.

WTF?

Also even when I'm doing successful flights - and I've ranged out 2000' feet.
What's up with that?

Any thoughts ??

Oh yes: Brand new P4p v2
Brand new iPad 2018 - 9.7"
Newest version of Go4 (as of 16 days ago)

If the aircraft orientation arrow is pointing in the wrong direction then that suggests that you have magnetic distortion at that launch site. But it will require the DAT file from the aircraft or iPad to confirm the problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj