P4P Settings for Video at Night

Reaction score
I've experimented with some video at night in my suburban area. It does not have lights like a downtown/cityscape, but nonetheless I was expecting better noise performance than what I got. I'd like to know what settings people are using at night. I use FCPX, but I don't have a 3rd party noise reduction software. Thoughts ?

I use Neat Video Reduce Noise on FCPX and it works well. I'd have to agree that the best way to get a noise free image is to use a low ISO and expose properly. You should only be getting noise when the scene is super dark.

Yes, I fully understand the implications of a higher ISO, and thank you. Unfortunately, in the area that I am filming I don't have enough light to even get close to a proper exposure without f2.8 (the most open aperture, a shutter speed of 1/50th (twice my FPS), and ISO 3200. I could intentionally underexpose by using a lower ISO. I know quite well how easily I can open up shadows processing a raw file in Lightroom (still photography), but the same process does not work on video.

There's not much you can do with severely limited light. The only thing you can do is the obvious, don't do it. That, or just accept the results as mediocre.

I did this flight when I first got my p4p. Not completely disappointing but I don't expect much given the circumstances.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's not much you can do with severely limited light. The only thing you can do is the obvious, don't do it. That, or just accept the results as mediocre.

I did this flight when I first got my p4p. Not completely disappointing but I don't expect much given the circumstances.

Thanks schockwave199. I will have to go home and look at mine again because I don think its nearly as good as yours turned out. Any chance you could share your camera and resolution settings ?

Thanks schockwave199. I will have to go home and look at mine again because I don think its nearly as good as yours turned out. Any chance you could share your camera and resolution settings ?
I honestly don't remember. I know I film 4k 30fps shutter speed 60. I don't remember the iso, probably 400 but might have been 800. Aperture not sure but likely 2.8.

I honestly don't remember. I know I film 4k 30fps shutter speed 60. I don't remember the iso, probably 400 but might have been 800. Aperture not sure but likely 2.8.
Your were just shooting an area that is mostly dark man. A lit city is incredible with the P4P! And I use 800, 1600 and on rare occasion 3200 ISO with video and it stays together very nice for video! Now stills are a diff story! I try to stay at 100 or 200 at the most with ISO! But wide open at F2.8 at maybe 40th or 50th of a second at 1600 or 3200 ISO works great for me with video at night. Skip toward last third of video to see after dark footage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronefriend
I've experimented with some video at night in my suburban area. It does not have lights like a downtown/cityscape, but nonetheless I was expecting better noise performance than what I got. I'd like to know what settings people are using at night. I use FCPX, but I don't have a 3rd party noise reduction software. Thoughts ?
I always use auto everything at night and have great results. I also shoot 30 fps...Here is a night video from a few days ago.

I always use auto everything at night and have great results. I also shoot 30 fps...Here is a night video from a few days ago.

Holy crap dude! That is a great flight! Was this a Litchi mission? So if your shooting in Auto I wonder about what ISO it is choosing on your video here? Your video still looks a little dark to me btw. You could bring that up a bit in post I'm sure. Was this Jersey?

That’s litchi but not a mission. I’m flying It picks usually 1600 iso. Next is 3200 and too much.
Thats a freaking awesome manual flight then! How did you know you were missing some of the tops of buildings? LOL. Or any other wires etc? I'm guessing you Had you flown it in daylight before? You could slow your shutter speed down a tick too if you want. Since things are not moving that fast in the frame the extra frame blur shouldn't be that noticable! So what shutter speed is it choosing btw in Auto??? Only thing that concerns me about Auto is that it may fluctuate a little and be noticeable in the footage with certain scenes. But really the only variables that I use are the ISO and tweak shutter speed a tad to help exposure. The aperture is always obviously F 2.8. I so wish they would put presets in the Go app so that I can quickly switch between stills and video at night! It's a whole diff batch of settings for stills at night! Should be able to just toggle quickly between those two presets!

Last edited:
I use $16 VR Goggles with the Litchi VR mode and it's like I'm in the bird.. Can see everything even at night. I tried the DJI Goggles one time and sent them back. I love the VR mode..However, as long as DJI wants to sell you goggles they will never put a VR mode in their app like Litchi has.

Reactions: offroadpyro
Having a near full moon adds a great deal of light to a scene and worth taking advantage of whenever practical to do so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers