P4P Obsidian has a new home underwater

I know I'm just stating the obvious but ALWAYS do your Flight Safety Check before you launch. It's even an FAA Requirement. That being said I too have a Phantom 4 Pro and I've noticed when inserting the battery it sometimes stops leaving a small gap and needs that extra push to seat the battery all the way. I'm talking about barely more than a hairline separation. So I give it an extra push and tug to see if it locked in and check to make sure the hairline separation is gone.

I enjoy reading these posts because the lessons learned by others can be entered into my knowledge base. The lesson learned here is the first sign of trouble return the aircraft to a safe landing area until you resolve the issue. Being over water even adds more reason to recover and investigate at the first sign of trouble.

As I read your post it was going through my mind one of the mammals you were photographing came out of the water and snatched your aircraft. Would have made for a great ending had it been caught on video!
Funnily enough or rather luckily enough I was flying my P4P today and after landing and going to change battery I realised the top part locked but not the bottom part. Only noticed as I turned it over to remove some grass from leg. I know I heard it click but from now on will turn it over and check it’s secure top and bottom

Interference from generators in boats could be an issue. I had many flights from boats b fore, but in one of them I caught the drone with my hands and the motors would not turn off!!! The captain said the person who tried to fly a drone before also got weird issues...

If the drone dropped, the compass was probably not the issue, I would imagine. Drones don’t like too much metal around...

Even so, it would take holding both sticks in and downward to stop the motors. Just holding one stick downward and in won't do it by itself

One stick stops the motor when it’s grounded. Are you saying that it takes both sticks when it’s airborne?

CSC has been change to left stick down and right and push the home button.
Was happening to often and DJI changed it.
You can disable it 100% now to if you want.
Both sticks down to the center won’t stop the motors anymore.

Exactly. This was the only way I could kill my motors when the drone went crazy and did not want to turn off.

Yes this is something that can be done easy when someone is in panic mode .
But also 1 stick down in heavy wind I think can also shut the drone down if you pull it into the corner

I know that when I go to hand catch the drone I use 1 stick down into the corner to turn it off, and I also think that if the wind was strong enough I could shut it down in mid air maybe .

Left stick, full down, is all that is required if the aircraft is stationary to shut-off motors.
Additionally moving it to the corner is not required or recommended.

So what causes the motor to shut off in the hand catch with one stick down ? Because when I grab the drone and hold it , and hold the one stick down into the corner it wants to go up for a bit before shutting off does it not ?

Reactions: droningandmore
So what causes the motor to shut off in the hand catch with one stick down ? Because when I grab the drone and hold it , and hold the one stick down into the corner it wants to go up for a bit before shutting off does it not ?
This is a regular landing from the drones perspective. You are providing the “ground” by holding it in place.

Reactions: Schnauzergeek

The motors will shut off if the throttle is fully down and no further descent is detected for 3 seconds.

First up from a fellow P4P Obsidean owner...
So sorry. It sounds like you’re taking it better than me however.

Several suggestions on possibilities, losing power is tough cuz it stops the video transmission. When I read your story and you started talking about seagulls, I figured that was where you were going, but of course you would of seen the jittery screen and downfall into what you called the beautiful Pacific.

I told you that you took this better than me, I might of put an fbomb in on that Pacific sentence. Good luck on your replacement.

Crap! I forgot my .02
Since you didnt have any visual and it was like a blackout, I’m going with the battery vibration or loosening and exiting stage left theory.
If you pulled down on the elevation stick too long thinking you were avoiding a seagul, wouldn’t you see the dropage going down to the beautiful Pacific?
Hmmmmm

Crap! I forgot my .02
Since you didnt have any visual and it was like a blackout, I’m going with the battery vibration or loosening and exiting stage left theory.
If you pulled down on the elevation stick too long thinking you were avoiding a seagul, wouldn’t you see the dropage going down to the beautiful Pacific?
Hmmmmm

I had a visual which was only about 30 yards from the boat. The drone abruptly stopped, flipped sideways and dropped like a rock.

I had a visual which was only about 30 yards from the boat. The drone abruptly stopped, flipped sideways and dropped like a rock.
Sorry I was hoping by now you got some closure on this as my bet was the battery got shaken from the panic moves in the sky to avoid collision just enough for the connection to drop.
I have done a couple videos to show how loose the battery is on the Phantom 4 pro but never the Black Obsidian Pro which seems to be the same .

I think the video not recording was a completely separate issue.
The tell tale sign for me on the battery is when you say it stopped abruptly rather than slowly .

You mentioned that the drone sunk 40 ft and so take a look at the New Tile App now 100 % water proof and now good up to 200ft away using the blue tooth app.
You can check it out in the picture below geared up with the Wet Suit , looks stunning I think. Black on Black with a loud beep to help you find it if you remote land or go in the drink.

I hope DJI gives you the 100% replacement coupon to get another one.
Once we add the Light to this one , we are ready for search and rescue , lol

Getting that battery secure is top priority when flying fast and furious , as i have read some people claiming that when the come to a quick stop in sport mode
that it can crack the frame at times, and many pictures have been posted .

So stress on the frame seems very possible and likely a cause for the battery disconnect,
What did DJI say about it after reviewing your flight log , assuming you send them in.

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 4.17.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 4.18.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 4.18.38 PM.png

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
Sorry I was hoping by now you got some closure on this as my bet was the battery got shaken from the panic moves in the sky to avoid collision just enough for the connection to drop.
I have done a couple videos to show how loose the battery is on the Phantom 4 pro but never the Black Obsidian Pro which seems to be the same .

The tell tale sign for me on the battery is when you say it stopped abruptly rather than slowly .

You mentioned that the drone sunk 40 ft and so take a look at the New Tile App now 100 % water proof and now good up to 200ft away using the blue tooth app.
You can check it out in the picture below geared up with the Wet Suit , looks stunning I think. Black on Black with a loud beep to help you find it if you remote land or go in the drink.

Getting that battery secure is top priority when flying fast and furious , as i have read some people claiming that when the come to a quick stop in sport mode

So stress on the frame seems very possible and likely a cause for the battery disconnect,
What did DJI say about it after reviewing your flight log , assuming you send them in.

View attachment 96393

View attachment 96394

View attachment 96395

Just to avoid any confusion from your suggestion regarding the Tile - water is virtually opaque to all radio frequencies other than extremely long wavelengths. Bluetooth will not work in this situation.

Reactions: Loz

View attachment 96393

View attachment 96394

View attachment 96395

Thanks for your help. I’m not sure how to access the flight log for DJI to review.

View attachment 96393

View attachment 96394

View attachment 96395

Could you show me an example of what your flight log looks like?

Reactions: Hounddog

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic