P4P Obsidian has a new home underwater

You should not be flying 24 feet above marine mammals and harassing them in the first place. You are not helping the image of drone operators.

You should not be flying 24 feet above marine mammals and harassing them in the first place. You are not helping the image of drone operators.

Your input is appreciated Calsun. I honestly didn’t give much thought to the possibility that I might be harassing the mammals and I certainly didn’t intend to tarnish the image of drone operators. Maybe I deserved to lose that new P4P Obsidian. I will certainly be more mindful of my actions in the future.
God Bless and be well!

Your input is appreciated Calsun. I honestly didn’t give much thought to the possibility that I might be harassing the mammals and I certainly didn’t intend to tarnish the image of drone operators. Maybe I deserved to lose that new P4P Obsidian. I will certainly be more mindful of my actions in the future.
God Bless and be well!

Please do not believe this NON SENSE about harrassing the marine animals. That is total BS Flying 24 ft from the water does not make you a bad drone pilot and in no way puts you in a bad light.
All of us would love to have the chance to film Marine Life over the ocean, the river or the puddle.
CALSUN- needs to get some common sense in his thinking. Im sorry you were harassed off of this forum.

Please do not believe this NON SENSE about harrassing the marine animals. That is total BS Flying 24 ft from the water does not make you a bad drone pilot and in no way puts you in a bad light.
All of us would love to have the chance to film Marine Life over the ocean, the river or the puddle.
CALSUN- needs to get some common sense in his thinking. Im sorry you were harassed off of this forum.

Nonsense?
Did this occur in the USA?

Unmanned Aircraft Systems: Responsible Use to Help Protect Marine Mammals :: NOAA Fisheries

Yes we need to define illegal to harass . I have read all the documents but no where does it say its illegal to film , Key word being film or Photograph , however with time we may be stopped from flying over the lake, river , ocean or stream as it may disrupt the waves. I often wonder if those massive ocean liners scare the ORCA out of the water but than I say no to myself NO F IN FISHY WAY could that be.
Common sense is key, Harassment is a key word in that document and flying responsibly is another. We all know the difference when we see it.

Harassment means any act of pursuit, torment, or annoyance that has the potential to injure a marine mammal or marine mammal stock in the wild.
A boat chasing , a jet ski chasing, someone trying to pet , or catch or selfie the mamal , but the drone does not really fit those characteristics , but keeping a safe distance is responsible .

That distance kept is where being responsible comes into play , this is where most of us live are lives, when driving a car, riding a motorycycle, and flying a drone.

Lets not give that right up or we will have cars that go 55 mph at there top speed. This is what I fear most is are right to bear common sense. Are freedoms are slowly fading into the mist but always with good reasons such as Orcas may get headaches from the ships hum.

Last edited:
After a long email correspondence with DJI customer support, this is their final offer after reviewing my flight records...

Thanks for getting back to us.

Data analysis should be based on case by case, different customers have different flight environment and different pilot habit, so the data analysis result and resolution will also be different. For your case, the record ended at T=05:19 and there was no more related data, about the performance of the aircraft before the record ended, you could also review that on your DJI GO 4 APP.

Based on the current flight data, neither pilot's fault nor the product's fault could be found before the record ended. In other word, there was no pilot's error found, but that did not mean the aircraft was malfunctioned. The conclusion should be based on the evidence. As such, the data analysis showed inconclusive and we offered you 30% off discount. We understand you may feel disappointment about the 30% off discount, but that was offered by obeying our policy while we could not override it.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused and we truly understand your feelings. But the resolution should obey the policy. If we could help get higher discount, there is no reason why we do not do that for you from the beginning.

Please email me if you want the coupon code ready, for example: “I accept the offer”.

Thank you so much for your support. Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Lydia
DJI Tech Support
DJI - The Future Of Possible

Stay tuned for an update. I will be pasting some of the online conversation that I had with DJI customer service after accepting the 30% coupon and ordering a new Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian.

Reactions: Timinator
IMG_0933.jpg

After being told by DJI that they DID have the Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian in stock and requested me to resubmit payment after they originally refunded me, then told me to patiently standby for my delivery, this is the email I received...

Abigail G (Support)
Jul 17, 23:40 CST

Dear Craig,

Thank you for contacting DJI Customer Support.
We appreciate your time in reaching out to us.

We understand the need for the item. First of all, we are really sorry for all the hassle and predicament this may have caused you. We understand the frustration on your end as we are a customer too at the end of the day.

We are sorry to inform you that the Phantom 4 Pro-Aircraft (Obsidian, Excludes Remote Controller and Battery Charger) is out of stock. Since it is an end-of-life product, would you mind canceling the order and get the full refund? We recommend you purchase the upgraded product Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 or portable drones as such Mavic series and Spark.

We know this has been a nuisance for you and we don't want you to experience this but we will take this experience positively so we can improve our services in the future. We will have our Support Team to call you on your mobile number (310) 745-2005 regarding this matter. Please expect a call within 24 hours.

Should you have any concerns, kindly reply to this email.
Regards,
Abigail G
DJI Customer Support
DJI Support - Here for You

...There was no mention of DJI honoring the original 30% coupon that was offered to me to go toward the purchase of the replacement P4P Obsidian.

After being told by DJI that they DID have the Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian in stock and requested me to resubmit payment after they originally refunded me, then told me to patiently standby for my delivery, this is the email I received...

Obsidian has been discontinued since release of the V2 not sure how you were even able to order it again ?

... Anyway, just use the discount code you got and order a V2 (which is a better aircraft by the way) and end this sad saga.

Obsidian has been discontinued since release of the V2 not sure how you were even able to order it again ?

... Anyway, just use the discount code you got and order a V2 (which is a better aircraft by the way) and end this sad saga.

I wish it were that simple. Read the last email from the DJI support desk below...

Abigail G (Support)
Jul 18, 23:39 CST

Dear Schnauzergeek ,
Thank you for showing interest in our products!

We understand that you want to extend or reinstate the coupon code once the order is canceled. We totally perceive your point on this matter.

We will escalate this to our Headquarters to see if we can still honor the coupon code once we canceled the order. Again, we are truly sorry for all the disruption this has caused you. We will send you an email once we have an update.

Your patience is highly appreciated.
Regards,
Abigail G
DJI Customer Support

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
I wish it were that simple. Read the last email from the DJI support desk below...

Abigail G (Support)
Jul 18, 23:39 CST

Dear Schnauzergeek ,
Thank you for showing interest in our products!

We understand that you want to extend or reinstate the coupon code once the order is canceled. We totally perceive your point on this matter.

We will escalate this to our Headquarters to see if we can still honor the coupon code once we canceled the order. Again, we are truly sorry for all the disruption this has caused you. We will send you an email once we have an update.

Your patience is highly appreciated.
Regards,
Abigail G
DJI Customer Support

Certainly looks like a CS kerfuffle caused by internal bureaucracy. Still, I'd be very surprised if they didn't honor it in the end - may take some time to resolve though. DJI CS is good... but slow.

Certainly looks like a CS kerfuffle caused by internal bureaucracy. Still, I'd be very surprised if they didn't honor it in the end - may take some time to resolve though. DJI CS is good... but slow.

Latest email correspondence from DJI today...

We hope all is well!

This is an update regarding the coupon code. We are still waiting for an update from our Headquarters regarding in reinstating your coupon code. We know this is a hassle and we do apologize for this. We already sent an email directly to our Headquarters for follow up.

We'll send you an update once we have a feedback.

Your kind understanding is highly appreciated.
Regards,
Abigail G
DJI Customer Support

We are still waiting for an update from our Headquarters regarding in reinstating your coupon code. We know this is a hassle and we do apologize for this. We already sent an email directly to our Headquarters for follow up.
If they supply a V2.0 aircraft only, it will be incompatible with your controller.

Reactions: Schnauzergeek
The fact that obsidian is mentioned in the title means nothing, it's just a standard P4P with the difference in the gimbal cover (silver) and the drones shell colour. I've not had that problem, but I can only imagine having read lots of P4P horror stories, that it's likely a battery insertion problem. The fact that you've changed/moved direction before it fell from the sky could've been that extra little bit of "oomph" the battery needed to finally dislodge from the body. This is a user issue...however, I'd also suggest DJI contributed to this because of a poor design. Pure and simple - this just shouldn't happen and if the design was RIGHT a click would be a click and it would be stuck in place despite directional changes, in sport mode or not.

Sorry about the loss though...lots of cash to throw onto the ocean floor!

The fact that obsidian is mentioned in the title means nothing, it's just a standard P4P with the difference in the gimbal cover (silver) and the drones shell colour. I've not had that problem, but I can only imagine having read lots of P4P horror stories, that it's likely a battery insertion problem. The fact that you've changed/moved direction before it fell from the sky could've been that extra little bit of "oomph" the battery needed to finally dislodge from the body. This is a user issue...however, I'd also suggest DJI contributed to this because of a poor design. Pure and simple - this just shouldn't happen and if the design was RIGHT a click would be a click and it would be stuck in place despite directional changes, in sport mode or not.

Sorry about the loss though...lots of cash to throw onto the ocean floor!

I fully understand that the Obsidian refers to the color of the P4P. I only specified it so as to prevent being sent a white P4P but it’s pointless now since the P4P is discontinued.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z