P4P not taking photo's?

Reaction score
Good day all :)

This is my first post/question although I have been reading up on these forums for a long time.

I decided to try sport mode for the first time this morning in my new P4P. Took off, did a few high speed runs for fun, then decided to hover and take a few snaps of the lodge... I took about 30 pics, focusing and then clicking on my ipad, every time the iPad made the "click" sound.

Landing 20 mins later and there are only two or three pics on the memory card? I dont think I changed any settings by accident mid flight....

Am I just doing something silly??? Help appreciated before I take to the skies in a few hours again to "re-shoot" I was only about 70 meters away.

UPDATE: Just went for another flight after resetting all settings, nothing changed. Took about 20 photos in the air, landed, only 5 photos on the card. Seems the P4P is not reliable...just luck if you get that shot or not.

Another question I have is: As you can see on the pic, the lodge is on a hill. If I take off and return to home is set at 30 meters...then fly away from the lodge, drop altitude to film the trees down below, and then hit home button....will it rise up to 30 meters above the take off point? As the drone drops below its take off spot will it know that it is going into a "negative altitude" so to speak?

DJI_0048.JPG

Thank you so much:)

Last edited:
It will rise above take off point 30 m, if you are higher than the 30 m above take off it will maintain the present altitude until it is over the take off point befor decending.

I have seen several threads about missing images on different forums so not sure if there is a bug or not.
The other issue is if you have your settings set to RAW or RAW/JPG & are pressing the button too soon before the the previous image has saved fully, although I can't see how that would account for the 26/27 images that you think are missing.
The other thing I have done accidently is to press the mission pause button instead of the shutter button :)
If you check your flight in the DJI Go app, it will show you along the route where & how many photos you took.

I have seen several threads about missing images on different forums so not sure if there is a bug or not.
The other issue is if you have your settings set to RAW or RAW/JPG & are pressing the button too soon before the the previous image has saved fully, although I can't see how that would account for the 26/27 images that you think are missing.
The other thing I have done accidently is to press the mission pause button instead of the shutter button :)
If you check your flight in the DJI Go app, it will show you along the route where & how many photos you took.

I had a feeling that the drone needed more time to save between shots. Im pretty sure I waited at least 10 seconds between....perhaps just a few seconds longer is needed. I will do a flight, wait 20 secs between shots, and then report back.

I also thought I could have been pressing the wrong button, so I have been tapping the button on the screen to make sure:)

I had a feeling that the drone needed more time to save between shots. Im pretty sure I waited at least 10 seconds between....perhaps just a few seconds longer is needed. I will do a flight, wait 20 secs between shots, and then report back.

I also thought I could have been pressing the wrong button, so I have been tapping the button on the screen to make sure:)
I think it's about 5 seconds to save a RAW & 2 seconds for a JPEG, so together it would only be 7 seconds, so 10 should of been enough but worth giving it a bit longer.
Could also try setting it to take just JPEG & see if you get better results of all images being saved.

Hmmm, It should not take 10 seconds to record one still image. Usually about a second or so on mine. The card wasn't full was it? It should not make the capture sound if it was though.

I just set it up on the table with no props. Did a test with only jpeg....took 10 shots 5 secs apart. Checked mem card and all good, 10 pics.

Did the same test with jpeg+raw, shot 10 shots only just 1 second apart. Checked card and all good, 10 jpegs and 10 RAW.

So I can only suspect that it is a signal problem, the controller says you have just taken a shot, but you actually have not... Im guessing the remote control sends out the signal command to take a pic and hopes for the best lol, there is no feedback from the drone saying that "yes I have indeed taken a photo"

This is a little sad, I have no confidence now while its in the air and taking pics. If you take that shot....its luck if you have it on the card when you bring it home. Perhaps I should leave it on 5GHz and not 2.4GHz as 2.4 might just not have the bandwidth to carry more than one command at a time. Will test in the air again.

I just set it up on the table with no props. Did a test with only jpeg....took 10 shots 5 secs apart. Checked mem card and all good, 10 pics.

Did the same test with jpeg+raw, shot 10 shots only just 1 second apart. Checked card and all good, 10 jpegs and 10 RAW.

So I can only suspect that it is a signal problem, the controller says you have just taken a shot, but you actually have not... Im guessing the remote control sends out the signal command to take a pic and hopes for the best lol, there is no feedback from the drone saying that "yes I have indeed taken a photo"

This is a little sad, I have no confidence now while its in the air and taking pics. If you take that shot....its luck if you have it on the card when you bring it home. Perhaps I should leave it on 5GHz and not 2.4GHz as 2.4 might just not have the bandwidth to carry more than one command at a time. Will test in the air again.
Don't be sad man. You can check to see if your images are your card right in the app. Just land and go to editor and you will see all the pics that were recorded and shot. Right on your ipad. This is a great way to check and make sure you got the shot or the video angle you want before you pack up and leave. Just click on the DJI logo at top left of your app and then choose editor in bottom tray and it will take you to another page that you can navigate through stills and the vids that are on your card. Your actually looking at cache files that are recorded on your ipad btw. But they should be recorded on your card too I hope right?

Don't be sad man. You can check to see if your images are your card right in the app. Just land and go to editor and you will see all the pics that were recorded and shot. Right on your ipad. This is a great way to check and make sure you got the shot or the video angle you want before you pack up and leave. Just click on the DJI logo at top left of your app and then choose editor in bottom tray and it will take you to another page that you can navigate through stills and the vids that are on your card. Your actually looking at cache files that are recorded on your ipad btw. But they should be recorded on your card too I hope right?
Ah, that is good advice, I will try that. If the shot is not there I will quickly take off again and do it again. Will give an update. I hope it will work this time :/

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Ah, that is good advice, I will try that. If the shot is not there I will quickly take off again and do it again. Will give an update. I hope it will work this time :/
Yeah it is a great way to look at what you just shot. And it it's on the ipad then it theoretically should be on the card too. I just found out yesterday the Litchi App will not let you do this however. Which kinda sucks tbo!

Yeah it is a great way to look at what you just shot. And it it's on the ipad then it theoretically should be on the card too. I just found out yesterday the Litchi App will not let you do this however. Which kinda sucks tbo!
I just did what you said. Did a quick landing after the shoot and and checked the editor, all shots were there. Just popped the mem card into my laptop and everything is there:) Not sure what happened earlier. I was just in time for the sunset golden light hitting the lodge :))) I did do a reset on all camera settings before I took off as well just in case.
DJI_0007.jpg DJI_0013.jpg DJI_0018.jpg

I just did what you said. Did a quick landing after the shoot and and checked the editor, all shots were there. Just popped the mem card into my laptop and everything is there:) Not sure what happened earlier. I was just in time for the sunset golden light hitting the lodge :))) I did do a reset on all camera settings before I took off as well just in case.
View attachment 79280 View attachment 79281 View attachment 79282
Sweet man! Is this your house dude? What a place!

Sweet man! Is this your house dude? What a place!
Thanks, I took photos for the first time in my drone today so it was a good day:) The CEO of the company I work for owns it. I do the IT so could never get a place like this lol. I often stay here though. Its called Mafojani lodge and its in Musina, South Africa....Im taking a few snaps for the new web sight im doing:)

Thanks, I took photos for the first time in my drone today so it was a good day:) The CEO of the company I work for owns it. I do the IT so could never get a place like this lol. I often stay here though. Its called Mafojani lodge and its in Musina, South Africa....Im taking a few snaps for the new web sight im doing:)
Man I've seen some of South Africa on Casey Neitstat's video's. Gorgeous place! Have fun flying!

Reactions: SeanThV
Turn up your phone or tablet so you can hear the click sound as audible confirmation it has taken a photo.
You also get a visual indication.
Watch around the screen shutter button and you see an effect when it is writing a file to the SD card.

While on the subject of photos not been recorded, I have a brand new p4p version 2 and photos are not been recorded on my Samsung tablet, which is also brand new. Sometimes photos go in the go4 app but mostly they are on the SD card in the craft. Is there any way to default photos going to the tablet as videos do that, or have I got some settings wrong?
My old Mavic Pro sent photos and videos to my phone. There is no point taking photos that are stored on SD card if you crash or lose the p4p.

My old Mavic Pro sent photos and videos to my phone. There is no point taking photos that are stored on SD card if you crash or lose the p4p.
On the contrary .. the only photos are saved on the SD card.
Anything you are/were seeing on your phone are low grade preview images.
The full resolution images are saved on the SD card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues