P4P broken Battery Cell

Reaction score
Looking for advice. I just bought a P4P in excellent condition from Adorama. I turned the drone on and the following message popped up on my phone, “Battery cell broken return to factory.” Then the drone shut off automatically.After that I fully charged the battery and it seems to be working. Does anyone know if the battery is safe to use? I did checked the battery and it one of the battery cells is 0.02 volts below the other cells. Would that cause the issue? Trying to figure out if this battery is safe/if I should return this battery. Thanks.

One thought would be, is the cost of a battery worth the cost of a crashed aircraft. Your battery may need more testing on the ground to make a decision on how airworthy it may be. Too many variables to know what caused the battery issue.

Adorama service is pretty good but might transfer you to DJI. Worth a call and if needed get a return label. Might be that cell drops out as voltage drops. Not enough amps to fly. Not a pretty ending. Logs will show the warning so they may not honor the warranty in a crash.

Looking for advice. I just bought a P4P in excellent condition from Adorama. I turned the drone on and the following message popped up on my phone, “Battery cell broken return to factory.” Then the drone shut off automatically.After that I fully charged the battery and it seems to be working. Does anyone know if the battery is safe to use? I did checked the battery and it one of the battery cells is 0.02 volts below the other cells. Would that cause the issue? Trying to figure out if this battery is safe/if I should return this battery. Thanks.
Friend: Responding to your query I think that after seeing that message in the App, I suggest you spare no effort and return that battery, I think it is not worth risking your P4P for a battery, the price of your equipment is not It is worth it for a battery that after that notice ... does not inspire confidence. On the very small difference between cells it is not an indication of failure in any of them, with 2 or 3 Volts it is already to worry. Do not think so much and follow my advice, return the battery and change it. Greetings.!.

Hi just updating I have decided to have the battery replaced by adorama which they seem willing to do
Good move,,never trust a battery error almost always ends bad,something myself have experienced

Flew the P4P 2 today and noticed that one of my two batteries had 4 fairly small cracks in it but certainly noticeable. All 4 cracks were in that removeable "Cap" that is exposed when you plug it into the drone. there was one on each side and two on the curved top near the power button. I have always been careful with these batteries and none have never been dropped.
When testing it today, I kept it over land and close to the ground. All went OK but it did seem to discharge faster than normal. What causes these cracks and what do you guys recommend. I have a phobia of the bird losing power suddenly from a failed battery and turning my Phantom into a post hole digger.

Hey Jeff,
I just bought a used Phantom 4 Advanced from Adorama and the battery is giving me the same error message.
I contacted their Support and hopefully they will send me a replacement too.

Jeffdevs, a cordial greeting.!. In response to your query I suggest two things, if the equipment and the battery have a guarantee ... better return it and have it exchanged for another, be sure to write down its serial number, which when you get the change the battery, check the serial number to make sure that it is not the same and that the change is actually made. Now ... only battery has no guarantee, I suggest you are monitoring the behavior of the battery in a hovering flight at low altitude with the drone previously configured, calibrated to ensure its good behavior during the flight, that way you can monitor the battery and its discharge during use. That difference of 0.02 Volts is insignificant and totally normal, the abnormal thing was the behavior that it had and above all the fact of turning off suddenly. Once you discharge the battery, the drone should return to the launch point. You let the battery cool down and then recharge it for use. I think that would be enough for the moment to rule out any abnormality in the battery. You did not comment if the battery was new or not ..! .. Good luck.!

Hey Jeff,
I just bought a used Phantom 4 Advanced from Adorama and the battery is giving me the same error message.
I contacted their Support and hopefully they will send me a replacement too.
They did for me so hopefully they'll give one to you.

Reactions: tmgrood
If Anyone could help more on this issue . As I just previously bought a minimally used phantom 4 pro obsidian(Not from Adorama) with 4 batteries with 5 charges on them. However one of the batteries shows no lights on it (and when I put it on the 3 bank charger it shows a red light on the charger)and another one is telling me broken cells.

If Anyone could help more on this issue . As I just previously bought a minimally used phantom 4 pro obsidian(Not from Adorama) with 4 batteries with 5 charges on them. However one of the batteries shows no lights on it (and when I put it on the 3 bank charger it shows a red light on the charger)and another one is telling me broken cells.
Dear: About what you comment, what I can tell you is that the batteries that are not charging is simply because they are damaged or blocked ... With any Lipo battery you have to take special care, you should not discharge it to the minimum because you can damage it, you should never let it discharge completely when they are stored, because if its voltage per cell that is 3.7 drops below 3.2 or 3.1 it is simply damaged. Most likely, that must have happened to the batteries that you mention that they do not charge or that when putting them in the charger a red light turns on on the charger, that indicates that the battery does not have the minimum voltage to be recharged. If you are using the original DJI charger for 3 batteries, you have the option to select the storage mode and the charger will charge them to 50% and so you can save them for a while, but you must, yes or yes, check the discharge level of ma battery and recharge it if necessary if the voltage drops below 15%. There are videos on YouTube that show you how to "recover" these batteries when they are blocked by a "very deep" discharge. Greetings.! .. ✌️?

Dear: About what you comment, what I can tell you is that the batteries that are not charging is simply because they are damaged or blocked ... With any Lipo battery you have to take special care, you should not discharge it to the minimum because you can damage it, you should never let it discharge completely when they are stored, because if its voltage per cell that is 3.7 drops below 3.2 or 3.1 it is simply damaged. Most likely, that must have happened to the batteries that you mention that they do not charge or that when putting them in the charger a red light turns on on the charger, that indicates that the battery does not have the minimum voltage to be recharged. If you are using the original DJI charger for 3 batteries, you have the option to select the storage mode and the charger will charge them to 50% and so you can save them for a while, but you must, yes or yes, check the discharge level of ma battery and recharge it if necessary if the voltage drops below 15%. There are videos on YouTube that show you how to "recover" these batteries when they are blocked by a "very deep" discharge. Greetings.! .. ✌️?
Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers