P4P bad gimbal repair assistance

Reaction score
Website
www.jeffreysipress.com
I finished repairing my P4P v2 after a nasty crash. Replaced the upper and lower body, gimbal yaw arm and yaw motor, and landing gear. A lot of work. Unit fires up fine and actually flies, though one rear optical sensor is out, which I can live with. But the gimbal doesn't seem to be finishing its startup routine and cycles through it poorly repeatedly. When powered down, it is loose and free to rotate in all axis like it should. Even powered I can manually move it without resistance but it is going through this cycle you see in this video. Anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I finished repairing my P4P v2 after a nasty crash. Replaced the upper and lower body, gimbal yaw arm and yaw motor, and landing gear. A lot of work. Unit fires up fine and actually flies, though one rear optical sensor is out, which I can live with. But the gimbal doesn't seem to be finishing its startup routine and cycles through it poorly repeatedly. When powered down, it is loose and free to rotate in all axis like it should. Even powered I can manually move it without resistance but it is going through this cycle you see in this video. Anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks.

Do you have video feed?

If no resistance when powered on that to me almost points at damaged yaw motor but I could be wrong since you have replaced it,almost seems it get stuck on something but nothing there,,,I dont doubt your capabilities to repair ,you know your stuff,,if gimble calibration does nothing I guess I would disassemble and reassemble it again and hope it works,,that's just my guess,good luck,I'm unsure what to advise, these phantoms are great at challenging us like this

Thats what i was thinking also.only other thing that comes to mind is the gimbal esc board.thats the board that controls the motors and if u can freely move all axis while the gimbal has power then mor then likely the motors arent getting power which would lead to a damaged gimbal esc board

This one?

gimbalboard.jpg

I myself unsure,I dont want to advise to buy one and it does same thing,,do you have a spare ?
I presume it's still same result when ribbon cable unclipped and reinserted, some of these boards not cheap,i regret posting some of mine out

Reactions: Capt KO

Not sure if this will fix it, but I'd recommend putting the new board back in and reconnect the drone and controller. You should find instructions online on how to do it

Thats the board!its about $40 online.that board and the gimbal top board is known to cause hardware malfunction in the gimbal.i myself test them with a multimeter for continuity before replacing.if u have a multimeter put one lead on the prongs where the flex cable enters and the other on the prong where the yaw motor cable enters.if there is no continuity them theres a fried circuit component somewhere on the board

Looks like an easy fix, if indeed that is the issue. I'm waiting to see if anyone recognizes the symptoms in the video and can nail the cure. I don't want to just keep replacing items as I have done a ton of that already. I may start by checking the flat cable connector integrity. Yes, the drone had crashed but I didn't think that board would be a victim of that. It's fairly well protected, physically.

Understandable but that board is easily damaged with the slightest bump to the housing,ive had to replace a few of them in the past.But as you stated you should definitely re-check the flex connections.could be no inserted fully.is the flex oem? If so i would try to do a gimbal calibration or remove and re-insert the sd card.you could also try to refresh the firmware using dji assistant 2.just a few suggestions before replacing anything else,it can get very expensive just throwing parts at it.but the sd card trick and firmware refresh or down grade has been known to fix that issue as long as there is no hardware issue

Why would the presence of, or a missing, SD card affect the gimbal's startup routine? I'm sure I've started my p4p's before with no card inserted, and only got a message saying it's not there, but everything else was fine. And, I updated the firmware yesterday through the Go4 app. Thanks again for your tips.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers