P4P+ - Advice please re minor concerns/observations

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

After several months agonizing over what to buy, I finally thought 'what the hell' and ordered a P4P+. I am an android man but was concerned over compatibility with my Samsung phone and tablet, so the 'plus' route seemed the way to go. I have no regrets. On a RTH test it landed right where it started and I found myself muttering the word 'awesome' under my breath. Not a word I have ever used before, being 66 - and English!

My two concerns:

1 The possibility of causing stress fractures close to the motors. Although I have never flown it like a hooligan, I have noticed that the motors scream in protest at (accidental) hard braking. As this could be a contributing factor, could I soften the braking by adjusting the sensitivity in 'MC Settings, advanced, sensitivity, braking'? If not, what does this adjustment do?

2 All four plastic prop mounts are loose where attached to the motors. All screws feel tight but there is definite movement between the mounts and the motors (all roughly the same). I realize that being too tight could split the mount hole but loose will cause wear and vibration through chatter (then stress fractures perhaps). So, should I snug them up, or leave well alone?

Thanks in advance

Simon (Newbie on the Norfolk Broads. UK.)

Welcome to the forum! :)

I have noticed that the motors scream in protest at (accidental) hard braking. As this could be a contributing factor, could I soften the braking by adjusting the sensitivity in 'MC Settings, advanced, sensitivity, braking'? If not, what does this adjustment do?
You can decrease the intensity of the brake in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Brake.jpg

It would be best to make changes to this setting while flying your Phantom (so you can try and tweak the change in real-time). Just make sure you do this when flying above all obstacles since your Phantom will start to coast more as it comes to a stop when you lower that setting.

All four plastic prop mounts are loose where attached to the motors. All screws feel tight but there is definite movement between the mounts and the motors (all roughly the same).
The prop mounts should definitely not move. If you're able to hold the motor with one handle and wiggle/twist the prop mount with the other hand, then the screws are likely loose.

I doubt the motors are screaming in protest... but sudden stops do show up on video so I use a gentler transition on the sticks and stock settings.

1 The possibility of causing stress fractures close to the motors. Although I have never flown it like a hooligan, I have noticed that the motors scream in protest at (accidental) hard braking. As this could be a contributing factor, could I soften the braking by adjusting the sensitivity in 'MC Settings, advanced, sensitivity, braking'? If not, what does this adjustment do?
Cracking only develops in a small fraction of the Phantoms out there and it happens regardless of braking settings and most of the other suggestions that people have come up with.
Most never show any cracking no matter how hard they are flown.
The best explanation for it's cause is poor material and/or moulding technique.
Adjust your braking (or not) to suit the flight behaviour that you like.

2 All four plastic prop mounts are loose where attached to the motors. All screws feel tight but there is definite movement between the mounts and the motors (all roughly the same). I realize that being too tight could split the mount hole but loose will cause wear and vibration through chatter (then stress fractures perhaps). So, should I snug them up, or leave well alone?
A lot of P4 pros have that small looseness of the prop mounts (mine do).
As long as the screws are not loose it won't cause any problems.

Many thanks to you all for your replies.

The prop mounts are my main concern. The screws seem very tight and may be bottomed out in the holes or maybe they used threadlock. The play is not excessive so rather than risk damage, I shall leave it alone and check closely after every flight. If it aint broke....... as they say.

Thanks again

Simon

Welcome to the forum! :)

You can decrease the intensity of the brake in the following section of DJI GO:

View attachment 91464

It would be best to make changes to this setting while flying your Phantom (so you can try and tweak the change in real-time). Just make sure you do this when flying above all obstacles since your Phantom will start to coast more as it comes to a stop when you lower that setting.

The prop mounts should definitely not move. If you're able to hold the motor with one handle and wiggle/twist the prop mount with the other hand, then the screws are likely loose.

I wish DJI had detailed explanations like you have presented.
Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj