8 Mistakes that can lead to disaster

Reaction score
Warning: If you use my suggestions, it will not be my responsibility if something happens to your drone! Take actions at your own risk!

1]
Watching the live feed and not the drone
While it might seem like an okay thing to do, you can only see whats in front of you, not whats to the left, right, or behind. If you are flying near something, and you want to get that perfect shot, you font actually know how close you relay are. If you are using the P4 or P4P you have obstacle avoidance to help you out. But its still not the best idea to watch the live view the whole time. There are still birds and hydro lines that the obstacle avoidance can't always detect.

2] Installing props to loose
Installing props to loose can obviously lead to a prop flying of mid flight. Always make sure you install props tight (not to tight) even tho they are “self-tightening” they can still go on their own little flight without the AC.

3] Not inspecting your UAV before and after flight
Something that I always do before and after flight is inspect my Phantom for stress cracks and anything else that might be damaged. This can cause the AC to crash mid air.

4] Flying with a battery that's not fully charged (Credit to @tcope)
I've seen numerous people start a flight with a battery that's not fully charged and their drone has either tried to RTH and crashed, flew away or something else. This can cause the battery into thinking that its low and tells the AC to RTH or land. The reason for this is that the battery is not calibrated properly.

5] loose battery
This one is pretty obvious. Make sure your battery is in snug. When putting in the battery, push it in until you here a “click” and double check before taking off.

6] Flying with propellers that are damaged and/or unbalanced
Flying with damaged props can cause them to be unbalanced. If you have damaged propellers you should change them before your next flight. Even it they only have a few nicks on the end they could be unbalanced and lead to a crash. It isn't worth it. It is better to spend a few on propellers than it is to spend 100's to 1000's on a new drone or parts.

7] Using CSC (combined stick command) to shut off the motors (Credit to @N017RW, @Melvoid)
Now i have to admit, I have done this myself. But now i don't because i realize what can happen. When you use CSC to turn off the motors you are telling the AC to yaw to the right, descend, move left, and move backwards all at the same time. This can cause the AC to tip. So instead, hold the left stick all the way down until the motors turn off. It may not lead to disaster, it is still not a good thing to do. Click here for details.

8] leaving propellers Idling (Credit to @N017RW, @crash1sttime)
Never, EVER leave propellers idling. If you are going to do so for testing porpoises please take the propellers off! If you leave the propellers on it can start to fly away on its own. The reason for this is that DJI Phantoms have a air presser sensor (and many others, GPS etc.) to help detect what its altitude and position is. If it is left one the ground idling it will heat up and the presser changes so it wants to go up to get it back to what it thinks is its right altitude.

Thanks for reading!
If you have any other ones to add let me know. If you find a mistake let me know and I'll do my best to change it. Got a topic you would like me to write on? Comment down below, and don't forget to drop a like!

Safe and happy flying everyone!

Last edited:
#7- The manual illustrated to perform Left stick full-down FIRST then perform the other three steps. I have not had problems when using CSC in this manner (does the manual still illustrate this?).

#8- ALL the sensors drift as well as GPS so any of these can cause the a/c to try and correct for this.
I have seen Phantoms try to slide/move sideways which results in tipping rather than a 'hop' to increase altitude.

EDIT:
Since posting this, the thread's OP has updated #7 to include my 'opinion'.
And note that CSC is different on later models & f/w which I did not previously mention

Last edited:
You can download the manual off the DJI website.
(Drones >> Phantom 3 or 4 >> Downloads)
Thank you.
Didn't mean to imply I wasn't able (but will admit not interested) just pointing out that CSC, when properly done, is not a recipe for disaster. Mine has never tipped when executed properly.

Thank you.
Didn't mean to imply I wasn't able (but will admit not interested) just pointing out that CSC, when properly done, is not a recipe for disaster. Mine has never tipped when executed properly.
Mine has never tipped either but it could happen. When you do the CSC to shut them off you can hear the motors rev because it thinks you want it to move a bunch a different ways, then they shut off. But everyone has their own ways of doing things. I prefer to put the left stick down, and you prefer to do CSC. That's fine too.

To be forthright, if you're going to edit your T & T's based on member replies you should note such.

It makes my subsequent post now seem redundant.

Reactions: Falcon900
What do you mean?

You have edited #7 since my #2 post, have you not?

There's nothing original here so far.
You should cite your sources since they are not your own.

Again...
To be forthright, if you're going to edit your T & T's based on member replies you should note such.

You're free to do as you wish until moderation.
Your MO is more of a cut-n-paste'r which is fine, but having said that, you should be aware it's obvious

pseudo-plagiarism.

I have made my point(s) and peace.
Nothing new for me to add.

In reference to a post elsewhere... I've run my three or so laps around this 'track' and will now move on.

Cheers!

Easy fellas.

Tyson is trying to be helpful .N017RW was only pointing out that you edited your post with the info he provided but you didn't credit him for the correction. No one says you had to do this, it is just a courtesy thing.

Easy fellas.

Tyson is trying to be helpful .N017RW was only pointing out that you edited your post with the info he provided but you didn't credit him for the correction. No one says you had to do this, it is just a courtesy thing.

TJ,

I don't need/want credit specifically.
A simple member update (at-large) would suffice.

Beyond that.. part of my post that followed is now seemingly redundant thus unnecessary.
After pointing this out the member still did not 'get it'.

No hard feelings towards the OP, I'll just be more careful in the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20