P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

Most people wouldn't believe the 50mph thing....until they've lived it. I put my P3P in "atti" mode and with a little tail wind it hits 50.2 mph with no problem. I've also flown it in "atti" mode for a 60,000' total distance flight on days when there is no wind. It seems the GPS mode acts like some type of governor on speed of the beast!
Which version of the aircraft firmware are you using?
The most recent versions of the firmware throttle the downwind speed, in P-GPS mode, to under 40mph, and usually closer to 35mph. Apparently, ATTI mode is still unthrottled.

Last edited:
Most people wouldn't believe the 50mph thing....until they've lived it. I put my P3P in "atti" mode and with a little tail wind it hits 50.2 mph with no problem. I've also flown it in "atti" mode for a 60,000' total distance flight on days when there is no wind. It seems the GPS mode acts like some type of governor on speed of the beast!

Well it is true that the P3 moves fast when getting a wind push. But, just imagine how fast the P4 will go with a wind push, Thats what people are leaving out. Comparing their P3 capable of reaching P4 speeds with the help of wind. If the p3 is said to reach up to 35 mph and 50mph the help of wind. Then the P4 may reach up to speeds of 60 mph with it already being able to reach 45 mph in sport mode.

You just gave me a thought. GPS mode is designed to grab as many satelites as possible to ensure stability in any direction or hovering. As you indicated, you can do high speed with satelites turned off and still obtain stable flight. I wonder if the P4 cuts the number of satelites to 4 when in "S" mode so that speed is maximized yet just the essential satelites exist? Just a thought.

Reactions: Deputy Dog
Well it is true that the P3 moves fast when getting a wind push. But, just imagine how fast the P4 will go with a wind push, Thats what people are leaving out. Comparing their P3 capable of reaching P4 speeds with the help of wind. If the p3 is said to reach up to 35 mph and 50mph the help of wind. Then the P4 may reach up to speeds of 60 mph with it already being able to reach 45 mph in sport mode.
The posters reporting speeds in excess of 40mph on the P3P are running older versions of the firmware, before DJI started throttling the downwind speeds in P-GPS mode back to 35-40mph, or are flying in ATTI mode. We can likely expect similar downwind throttling on the P4 to whatever DJI deems the max speed above 45 mph that they want to permit downwind in S Mode. Even if 45 mph is the max, no tailwind will be required! :cool:

Last edited:
Any reasonable adult can afford $1,000. Whether you have the extra cash in your bank, credit cards, good credit to open up another card, trade or sell something you no longer use in order to obtain a quad. Theres countless ways to get a quad. Now that we are in 2016, its so easy to open up a credit card with 0% interests introductory rate for the first 10-18 months and simply pay $25 a month minimal until you have all the money gathered. If you are really being serious that some adults can't afford that. Then maybe you should be shopping at Walmart for quadcopters and not be on this forum or talking about Phantoms to begin with. Not trying to be rude. But, if you can't afford it you simply can't afford it and shouldn't be worrying about affording toys. You should be worried about becoming financially stable first. At first I told myself I will just fly recreationally and use it on my own personal time. But, people literally walk up to you and almost offer you money on the spot to get some shots for them. Its happened to me so many times and I have met really nice clients from this quad alone that it paid for itself doublt time already. I would cough up the $1,400 for the Phantom 4 because its simply a better quad than the Phantom 3. But, something is telling me to wait a few months. Not a year, not a couple years for the Phantom 5 or 6. Just a few months as I'm almost sure DJI is going to release better versions of the Phantom 4.

What makes me think it isn't the Pro? The fact the the Phantom 3 PRO 4k and the Phantom 3 4k are so identically, color shape, operation and everything else is the exact same except for one minor thing, LightBridge and Wifi video downlink which is you own a Phantom 3 with light bridge you know how big of a deal that is. It wasn't that long ago that DJI was selling light bridge itself for $1,000. Also the fact the every other retailer including DJI themselves are selling the Phantom 3 4k for $799. Yes, I'm sure I have my reasons on why I don't think this is the PRO. When the Phantom 3 Pro first came out a lot of people never got manuals with their Phantom. I was one of those people. I never purchased the Phantom 3 4k. But, I do own a Phantom 3 Pro. I don't know where people would be able to tell if theirs is a Pro or just the 4k model. Maybe on the box? Which ebay sellers can easily change for increase sales. Other then getting fine print that lets you know you have the Pro model. I'm curious to know how people will find out. Especially since the Phantom 3 is already a year old and they have the newer Phantom 4 models out. I wouldn't be surprised if retailers looked for extreme ways to clear out their inventory.

I started to write a reply regarding your asinine and demeaning comments about people's spending ability. Thought it was pointless and would only result in more off-topic hyperbola.

Although you have been told this *is* a Pro, you don't want to get it for whatever reason. Mine shipped today and I have 110% confidence it will a Pro, and for the record, I paid cash!

Reactions: Tony Cowan
I started to write a reply regarding your asinine and demeaning comments about people's spending ability. Thought it was pointless and would only result in more off-topic hyperbola.

Although you have been told this *is* a Pro, you don't want to get it for whatever reason. Mine shipped today and I have 110% confidence it will a Pro, and for the record, I paid cash!
Let us know when it arrives. Proof one way or the other will be in the box. There is a great deal of confusion between the P3 Pro and the Phantom 4K among both sellers and buyers, and DJI poorly named the Phantom 4K, only adding to this confusion. The Phantom 4K should have been named the P3 Standard 4K, to reduce confusion.

Let us know when it arrives. Proof one way or the other will be in the box. There is a great deal of confusion between the P3 Pro and the Phantom 4K among both sellers and buyers, and DJI poorly named the Phantom 4K, only adding to this confusion. The Phantom 4K should have been named the P3 Standard 4K, to reduce confusion.
Another purchaser on here was in a conversation with the seller and confirmed it was a Pro and that was reported here. Still have no idea why someone here would think a seller would put up the wrong title, wrong pictures, wrong description, even the wrong UPC. Too much to do mistakenly. So the implication is the seller is lying? What seller would suddenly want to get hundreds of negative feedbacks for misrepresenting what they were selling?

As a side not, I found out something interesting about my earlier cancelled order with BuyDig. They were offering a bundle, the two main components were the Pro and the KopterKase for it. When I got their shipping information, it said one 14# box. I contacted the seller and asked about the number of packages and the weight of the shipment as I had a hard time believing they put both in one box and the weight was only 14#. I chose to cancel the order before it arrived and they issued a request to FedEx to return the package to them. I was checking the tracking status on the return and guess what....FedEx is reporting the box weighs 5#. I can't even believe the case could weight that little packed in a box. Some companies have a hard time dealing with bundled products as they typically don't put the various items all together and pull the various items as called out on their shipping document. I am convinced they never sent me the full order.

The posters reporting speeds in excess of 40mph on the P3P are running older versions of the firmware, before DJI started throttling the downwind speeds back to 35-40mph. We can likely expect similar downwind throttling on the P4 to whatever DJI deems the max speed above 45 mph that they want to permit downwind. Even if 45 mph is the max, that's without any tailwind! :cool:

I thought the speed reduction was (at least in part) intended to reduce stress on the airframe especially from braking at that speed? If so then the stronger P4 shell may not need to be slowed down as much.

I thought the speed reduction was (at least in part) intended to reduce stress on the airframe especially from braking at that speed? If so then the stronger P4 shell may not need to be slowed down as much.
That would be a welcome situation! :cool:

Another purchaser on here was in a conversation with the seller and confirmed it was a Pro and that was reported here. Still have no idea why someone here would think a seller would put up the wrong title, wrong pictures, wrong description, even the wrong UPC. Too much to do mistakenly. So the implication is the seller is lying? What seller would suddenly want to get hundreds of negative feedbacks for misrepresenting what they were selling?

As a side not, I found out something interesting about my earlier cancelled order with BuyDig. They were offering a bundle, the two main components were the Pro and the KopterKase for it. When I got their shipping information, it said one 14# box. I contacted the seller and asked about the number of packages and the weight of the shipment as I had a hard time believing they put both in one box and the weight was only 14#. I chose to cancel the order before it arrived and they issued a request to FedEx to return the package to them. I was checking the tracking status on the return and guess what....FedEx is reporting the box weighs 5#. I can't even believe the case could weight that little packed in a box. Some companies have a hard time dealing with bundled products as they typically don't put the various items all together and pull the various items as called out on their shipping document. I am convinced they never sent me the full order.
Your second situation answers your rhetorical questions about the first. Lots of uninformed buyers and sellers out there. At best it's an honest mistake. At worst, it's an intentional ripoff. Good luck on your purchase.

The obstacle avoidance is pretty useless on the phantom, unless you have set your RTH to low. DJI should have debuted if on the inspire model with the dual controllers.

I am new to this forum and currently dont have DJI.
Loots of good info I got from this forum.
But looking to buy quite soon. My adventure will start soon.
I work in mobile camera software / imaging algorithm. So photography one of main attraction.

After recent launch of P4, I was excited but now started feeling that its a bit pricey.
Not much improvement in camera other than higher frame rate. I believe P3 can get it with firmware update, unless there is huge difference in HW platform.

obstacle image sensors only front are not enough (may be its a staring point) 360 will be coming soon so new product.
orientation vs front sensors, its not enough. I feel people will struggle a bit to follow orientation and obstacle image sensors.
battery life so so compare with P3.

Every company needs products variations for future, they just cant give all possibilities at one go, also make it product quality in time , its not easy.
360 obstacle image sensors and battery combination can be a product variations.
Evey company (HW+SW combinations) is struggling with time.

I will decide between P3A vs P4, my brain is saying P3A. unless I get to know something new info.

BT

The posters reporting speeds in excess of 40mph on the P3P are running older versions of the firmware, before DJI started throttling the downwind speeds back to 35-40mph. We can likely expect similar downwind throttling on the P4 to whatever DJI deems the max speed above 45 mph that they want to permit downwind. Even if 45 mph is the max, that's without any tailwind! :cool:
I think you're right about this. MY first P3P is still running on the 1.4 version of the firmware. It's the one that can hit 50mph with no problems. I have a newer P3P and I've only been able to get it up to 40mph going down wind. Flew my first P3P moments later and it again hit 50.2mph. Just goes to show you how DJI can and will control everything in the end.

We'll see what people report when they finally get the P4. I think DJI is tired of people complaining about cracks near the motor mounts and will attempt to slow them down a bit, even though they'll probably hit 40 instead of the 35 with the P3. The real problem with the cracking is people starting or stopping toooooo fast. If you just fly it and slowly take off and slowly stop, it will reduce a lot of the stress the plastic is under. You can still fly fast, just take your time getting there. My newest P3P will only go about 40mph, even with a tail wind. So they've already taken steps to slow things down.

Which version of the aircraft firmware are you using?
The most recent versions of the firmware throttle the downwind speed, regardless of mode, to under 40mph, and usually closer to 35mph.
You're right! My first P3P is still using 1.4 and it's the one that will top out at 50.2mph. My newer P3P will only hit 40mph with the exact tail wind.

Lol asinine and demeaning comments? I don't understand you want me to even reply to your silly comment about some people don't have $1,000 cash lying around to sepnd? Ok that was an irrelevant. If they don't have the money they shouldn't be looking at Phantoms lol. Go to Walmart and buy a cheaper $30-$100 quad copter. Its like complaining about not having enough money for a Maserati or Lamborghini. Just a waste of time.

We'll see what people report when they finally get the P4. I think DJI is tired of people complaining about cracks near the motor mounts and will attempt to slow them down a bit, even though they'll probably hit 40 instead of the 35 with the P3. The real problem with the cracking is people starting or stopping toooooo fast. If you just fly it and slowly take off and slowly stop, it will reduce a lot of the stress the plastic is under. You can still fly fast, just take your time getting there. My newest P3P will only go about 40mph, even with a tail wind. So they've already taken steps to slow things down.
being new here I have heard about the cracks and assume they are based on either a crash or a design defect, i.e. an inferior plastic that can't handle the conditions? Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult with all the plastic compounds to find one that resists the cracks.

being new here I have heard about the cracks and assume they are based on either a crash or a design defect, i.e. an inferior plastic that can't handle the conditions? Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult with all the plastic compounds to find one that resists the cracks.
A crash is a hole nother ball of wax. If you crash one of these, you can almost expect to see some type of damage. The secret there is....wait for it....DON'T CRASH! LOL The first P3P I bought started forming hair line cracks near the motor mounting screws. I took it apart and lined the bottom of the craft where the motors are mounted with epoxy, no more cracks and no problems.

Lots of uninformed buyers and sellers out there... Good luck on your purchase.

Just to follow up: I pulled the trigger on the $799 eBay deal for the P3 Pro that some were thinking might be a misrepresented P3 4K.
It was delivered today... and I'm happy to report that it is indeed a P3 Pro (W323B & GL300C), brand new with full manufacturers warranty.

In case anyone was sceptical about grabbing one - it's the real deal.

Happy flying!

I run the latest firmware on a P3A and clocked over 50mph downwind.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor