Do any P4 owners regret selling their P3?

Reaction score
I read of the many members selling their P3s when the P4 was introduced in the beginning of March. Now that many of you have both received and flown your maiden voyage, are there any that wish they hadn't parted with their P3? Although I've been surprised and a bit disappointed not seeing thread after thread of members "raving" about their P4, it's becoming more apparent that many of the features that most were very excited have yet to meet expectations. I know it's still early, but there's enough people on this forum having received theirs already, including a few that picked theirs up from Apple nearly a week before official release. Only from reading through this forum, it's becoming clear that overall range for the P4 has been reported by many to be far less than their previous P3. Battery life hasn't been even close to the 28 min DJI had adveritised in fact, several members have reported under 18 minutes with mixed usage. I know there's many factors with batteries however, some of the times reported by members have been unacceptable. The one other issue which made many "flock" to the new P4 was obstacle avoidance. Is it true one using OA is limited to speeds of approximately 22mph?
At some point, I'm likely to shift over to the P4 from my current P3P. I'm usually the first to jump at "new" technology. I didn't this time around since I've only had my P3 since late November, have invested more than a few $$$ in accessories like so many of us do and most importantly, I love the darn thing. Should I decide to go with the P4, I certainly will live with it for a while first before selling my P3, ensuring it delivers exactly what I expect and having no disappointment on the decision made to purchase it.

Reactions: jiggyb21
I read of the many members selling their P3s when the P4 was introduced in the beginning of March. Now that many of you have both received and flown your maiden voyage, are there any that wish they hadn't parted with their P3? Although I've been surprised and a bit disappointed not seeing thread after thread of members "raving" about their P4, it's becoming more apparent that many of the features that most were very excited have yet to meet expectations. I know it's still early, but there's enough people on this forum indicating receiving theirs already, including a few that picked theirs up from Apple nearly a week before official release. Only from reading through this forum, it's becoming clear that overall range for the P4 has been reported by many to be far less than their previous P3. Battery life hasn't been even close to the 28 min DJI had adveritised in fact, several members have reported under 18 minutes with mixed usage. I know there's many factors with batteries however, some of the times reported by members have been unacceptable. The one other issue which made many "flock" to the new P4 was obstacle avoidance. Is it true one using OA is limited to speeds of approximately 22mph?
At some point, I'm likely to shift over to the P4 from my current P3P. I'm usually the first to jump at "new" technology. I didn't this time around since I've only had my P3 since late November, have invested more than a few $$$ in accessories like so many of us do and most importantly, I love the darn thing. Should I decide to go with the P4, I certainly will live with it for a while first before selling my P3, ensuring it delivers exactly what I expect and having no disappointment on the decision made to purchase it.

I sold my Advanced a few months ago, after DJI replaced it.

Recently when the P4 came out, I sold my ENTIRE setup, box, case, 3 batteries and a barely used P3P! Mine had less than 4 hours of total flight time.

Do I regret it? Not really, I regret spending over $2,000 on Long Range Antenna setup, a cool case, filters, guards, and batteries.... I regret that what costed me $2k a few months ago I nearly sold for $1200. But this is a Hobby, for fun, not a investment. Do I love the P4 more? Yes... There is NO COMPARISON in the build quality, for example it's night and day! The P4 is built like a strong tank, and the P3 is flimsy and fragile. The P4 has redundant IMU and Compass and object detection, has sport mode that's amazing, has a cool free case included albeit styrofoam it's still pretty neat!

This round DJI did it right! I regret the cost associated with everything over the last couple months, but I don't think you could pay me to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Very interesting thread. Will be watching. The Phantom 4 looks good but for me not worth the upgrade from the P3P. If it was my first drone I would 100% go for it but not as a upgrade. The 2 main things I was hoping for was a better camera and sensors at least on the sides. I do worry when doing orbits using the sticks and FPV as you wouldn't see it coming before a crash. Side sensors would be very handy but I don't see as much value in the front sensors. I am hoping for a P4 Pro

I won't sell my P3 till P4 reached it peak performance. Waiting for nice mods and good 3rd party apps like Litchi. My P3 performed better at the moment, for my usage.

Reactions: Bocephus-73
I just bought my P3A about a month ago and have no desire (as of now) to go with the P4. I'm sure it's a very nice quad and it has some cool features. But honestly, my P3A suits me just fine. The pics and video are awesome and it does everything I want it to do. Considering the new features the P4 has over the P3..it hasn't convinced me to buy. I am however very interested in what new P4 owners have to say about their experience with it. So far, from what I've read, it's really not "wowing" people.

First time I've ever come into a thread and thanked everyone. OP said almost verbatim what I was thinking. Then all of the responses were good.
My story is kind of lame/expensive. I wanted in badly so I bought the Standard for $650 with backpack. Barely flew it then bought the Advanced when it dropped in price thinking I'd sell the Standard when prices went back up. Didn't ever happen. Now I've flown a ton and have crashed my Advanced a couple times, replaced the shell and it's like new. As I've gained experience and have started flying for purpose, I've come to realize that I think my Advanced camera suffers from some focus issues. I am never totally satisfied with the results. I want a better camera! I have now contemplated buying a P3P but the varying accounts of poor camera results from those have my head spinning. This is the reason I am contemplating a P4, in hopes the quality control is better. I too have dropped some coin in a short period but assume sending it in will do me no good since the camera has physical scratches from the gimbal scraping pavement. It has in no way affected the pictures as it's identical to before. Sorry for the long post and I'm not looking to swing the topic. I'm looking forward to hearing from P4 owners in regards to buyer's remorse.

Regrets ....lmao.... We love it... Who would regret this ....[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]
b2751c37405633b917771415cf88b4aa.jpg

94mph!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: bradbrok
94 mph. Were you flying in a 50 mph wind. My P3 said it was doing 65 mph when I got my Nvidia shield. Found out it was a glitch with the app and was really doing 31mph. Upload to Healthy Drones and see what it says.

Of course it is down wind.
But, If speed is your game, having a P4 is a very poor choice....
Contact Niels Herbrich in Germany, he may help you get really excited.....

Don't watch if you plan to keep your P4. It will feel like a granny turtle afterwords.
And this is only one example out of many-many fast rc's out there

Last edited:
Kept my P3P and have flown my P4 a few flights and love it! The sport mod and other features are awesome!! Having both is like the best of both worlds!

Reactions: Richard in ky
Flight distance seem very much the same as the P3P. Don't care much for sport mode. Battery is longer out of sport mode.

Of course it is down wind.
But, If speed is your game, having a P4 is a very poor choice....
Contact Niels Herbrich in Germany, he may help you get really excited.....
Don't watch if you plan to keep your P4. It will feel like a granny turtle afterwords.
And this is only one example out of many-many fast rc's out there

80kmh in FPV with 5km range is about 100x more exciting then 500kmh in LoS with just a dot in a sky. Not to mention some FPV racing drones...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

For me it is all about the final result from the camera. I have kept my P3P and just bought a P4. The still pictures from the new P4 are far sharper than the P3P and the video is more stable. So for me I am delighted with the P4

Reactions: AKPhantom and JBJO

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik