P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

No doubt it has some nice features, and I would be lying if I said I don't want one, but the truth is it would be financially irresponsible for me to purchase this. . . . .
I have a P3A with 3 Batteries and using Litchi I can do some of the things the new one can do, to a limited capacity.
The benefit to having a P3A is when (not so much if) something happens to it, I am out far less then if I had one of these.
But yeah, if I had a ton of cash lying around I would get one

I sprung for the P3P for the 4k but when I realized that my Mac couldn't handle 4K editing I then wished that I would have just gotten the Advanced just to save a little bit of money. How's Litchi working out for you? I've been curious but been afraid of straying from the DJI GO app.

Ive been waiting for the p4 release for a while now, ive got a p2 with a gopro 4 BE, and to be honest, i still dont see enough reasons here to upgrade. yeah it has OA , but ive never needed it in the past, if you know how to fly a quad its not neccessary. My whole set up now will prob be worth £450 tops, but at the end of the day i will still get identical video and still results as the p4, and i can use the camera for other applications if i want to. The next upgrade for phantom HAS to be the camera, more megapixels, better dynamic range, and much better noise control!!!!!!!, oh and increased sensor size

Last edited:
Obstacle avoidance only in front is quiet useless, they should have done it also for, at least left and right side.

Not just that...
-Will not work in dawn or dusk environment
-Will only work in P-GPS mode
-Is speed dependant, which means you can't travel fast than 5 mph for it to work.
-Can only detect obstacles with a smooth, mass structure such as a wall or big tree. Twigs, and branches = no Bueno.

Reactions: StevenQX
I sprung for the P3P for the 4k but when I realized that my Mac couldn't handle 4K editing I then wished that I would have just gotten the Advanced just to save a little bit of money. How's Litchi working out for you? I've been curious but been afraid of straying from the DJI GO app.
Litchi works pretty well, just be careful planning your missions, make sure you have the altitude that you need

IMAG0523.jpg
IMAG0230.jpg
I personally don't like the p4 one bit! no retractable landing gear. no 360 gimbal. and no obstacle avoidance at 360 degrees! crappy shiny white finish looks horrid, they should have designed it black carbon fibre, and to top it all off it looks pregnant! in fact the only thing I do like is the pop on prop blades lol. been all excited waiting for the P4 release but now feel rather depressed about it!
I mean all they have really done is made it a little faster in sport mode but slowed it down even slower than the p3 in normal mode, then gave the camera a slight tweak on 120 fps in full HD WOW well done, I only shoot in 4K so that's useless to me, then they only put obstacle avoidance on the front and bottom that's just stupid, that will lead people to a false sense of security! In saying all this I still think if you don't own a drone then this would be the one to have compared to all other brands, as DJI I feel are still miles ahead, but not worth the upgrade if you have a p3. I have two p3 pro's 1 black and 1 white they look so much sleeker than the new obese P4, Here is one below ( slightly modded) happy flying!!
IMAG0523.jpg
IMAG0230.jpg

Cheers m8 dunno why it's uploaded 2 lots of photos though? Weird! Yeah sprayed it a while ago so much easier to spot in the sky, your thoughts on new p4?
It's £600 more than a P3A!? Are the new features worth twice the price of an outstanding bird? I think there is a premium to be paid for new and improved features but I suspect they may've overpriced the P4' even more so, given that the P3P will almost certainly be further discounted, making that even better value.

... I suspect they may've overpriced the P4' even more so, given that the P3P will almost certainly be further discounted, making that even better value.

Really?

When the P4 leaks were out in force people were not even flinching on a $1700 USD price.

I could have sworn those same people were...

cracksmoke_zpsrcblp3gs.gif

- 28 min of flight
- faster then p3p
- little bit better camera
- obstacle avoidance
- autonomus fliying
I've expected little more. There's no big difference between P3P/A and P4.

Isn't it only faster in "sport" mode and slower otherwise due to needed to do all that computation?

Yea, and by Christmas the flying season is over, u less you live in California
Why is the flying season over? I am in New Mexico now where it is warmer, but when I lived in Minnesota, the seasons didn't stop us. The snow and ice give the world a whole new outlook, especially things like frozen waterfalls.

I think the p4 is a great machine. I dont intend on buying it but I also dont intend on dissing it off all the time. If we expected the p4 to be as big of a leap in technology as the p2 to p3 (which probably wasnt possible), then DJI's engineers would be working their tails off 24/7. The p4 has some great new features, so I see no need to attack and insult it/dji.

Also, I think it will open up new opportunities for the crazy long distance people. With battery mods I foresee ~35ish minute flight times, and at 45 mph ill be curious to see how far people can get.

I don't see huge improvements in camera. I have had my P3P for 3 months and I love it. That is all I need, a better camera...so till they don't really upgrade the camera, I will stay with P3P. The other con is that we can not use our P3 batteries...I understand if they doubled the time...but they just added some minutes.

Looking at the P4, It doesn't look like one can change camera filters on it.

After doing my own research and watching this....

The P4 is strictly designed for the n00b or inexperienced operator.

I will be getting a P3P since it is a proven and tried aircraft at a great deal.
I agree great first time drone !!! The few extra minutes is nothing because if your in sport you will still only get around 20 min. The camera is almost exactly the same also.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT