P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

This is one I just don't understand.

I have the s1000, will have the Typhoon H, have the inspire 1, inspire pro, and I also have the p3p and p3pa. Out of all of them (aside from the inspire pro because of the camera), I find the retractable legs and the 360 camera makes no deference to me. In fact, I prefer the organic nature of the turning craft with a camera and a push in vs say a zoom that everyone wants. The only use for a zoom is convenience.

We have a camera with zero limitations for movement in the sky? Why do you need placement better than straight ahead??? On a quad that rotates? It's like asking for a merry go round on a merry go round but the one in the middle isn't as good. Don't understand it.

It just looks cool. It serves. No function. Now the blades behind higher and not getting the bird in the way is a different story.

Exactly - what's the point when you can turn the camera by turning the drone?!!!! Interested to know your take: how much better is the camera on the Inspire Pro than the P3P? Would you be better turning up for a professional shoot with the Inspire Pro?

UK

I ordered the P4 because of the recurring quirks of the P3P, which will be taking the place of my PV2 (passed on to my grandson) as a back up, especially after another tilted-horizon event during last weekend's shooting.

Retractable landing gear along with 360 degree camera would've been enough to to make me order one in an instant.

And one last item on my wish list, offer the P4 in black. DJI could name the next iteration the P4BE, Phantom 4 Black Edition.

Reactions: Grae
One thing I am curious about is if we can use our P3 RCs. I know that the P4 RC is slightly different with the new normal/sport mode toggle and the pause button, but I am wondering if those options could also be activated in the app while using the P3 RC with the P4. If so, that could offset some of the cost, especially with P4 batteries being $169

Has anyone yet heard anything related to what I was wondering above in my post from yesterday?

Most, if not all, of the autonomous flying abilities are available with the Autopilot app for $30. So in my mind it comes down to:

- faster than P3
- Obstacle avoidance (but only if flying forward or backward)

Definitely not worth $1400

If they were to drop it to $1000 during the holidays, then I'll have a much harder time saying "no."

So the obstacle avoidance is only forward flying then, right? If that's the case then it's even more of a reason not to get it. To me, avoiding obstacles when flying forward isn't a problem. The larger challenge comes from flying backwards, or side-to-side. If that isn't part of the feature then It's worthless to me, personally.

I only hope no one is, for a lack of a better term "trading up" to the P4 solely due to its OA. If one doesn't know how to fly their P3, this is likely going to end in disaster as complacency will likely result as the OA is a long way from being perfected and one depending on the P4s capabilities will soon be disappointed. I would recommend becoming more familiar with a P3 before making any changes to the autonomous features included in the P4.

I agree. My thinking though is that the OA is more useful in the autonomous flying modes more than manual flying modes. Either way, it's not worth the upgrade to me.

Exactly - what's the point when you can turn the camera by turning the drone?!!!! Interested to know your take: how much better is the camera on the Inspire Pro than the P3P? Would you be better turning up for a professional shoot with the Inspire Pro?

UK
Define professional?

If you show up to a real film with an Inspire Pro, it better be a quick insert shot. You need to be able to put a professional camera on it. MAYBE the Flir version but I would say an S9000 or a Yuneec Tornado H290 with the GH4 (which you would need to put on a better DSLR if you ask me for a pro) but probably the s9000 or something where you can put a RED or whatever camera your director wants to use is pro all the way but yeah, in most cases the X5, X5R, and certainly the X8 will be good enough for most pick up shots. IMO.

Reactions: Grae
Not to suggest that anyone necessarily is relying on the AMA insurance policy, but it specifically excludes coverage for incidents while operating autonomously. Don't ask me how they define "autonomously." Several of the modes are more of what I would consider "semi-autonomous."

Define professional?

If you show up to a real film with an Inspire Pro, it better be a quick insert shot. You need to be able to put a professional camera on it. MAYBE the Flir version but I would say an S9000 or a Yuneec Tornado H290 with the GH4 (which you would need to put on a better DSLR if you ask me for a pro) but probably the s9000 or something where you can put a RED or whatever camera your director wants to use is pro all the way but yeah, in most cases the X5, X5R, and certainly the X8 will be good enough for most pick up shots. IMO.

Thanks. Thinking more local stuff for web/TV. The X5 appeals. X5R would be great - I do have the computing capability but the cost of the X5R is too high at the moment.

UK

Thanks. Thinking more local stuff for web/TV. The X5 appeals. X5R would be great - I do have the computing capability but the cost of the X5R is too high at the moment.

UK
That I understand. Rule is "always buy for the job, not vice versa". :)

The P4 gimbal looks great, but most agree that there will be bugs to work out for awhile. With the need to turn off VPS now on the P3 when flying over water so it doesn't get confused, I wonder what kind of fun the avoidance system will have doing the same going fast forward over water. Also how can you hand catch the aircraft if it won't let you get close. Looking forward to the roports on how it flies, but with a new P3p with extra battery going for $1079, I'll stick with the P3p for a year and see how the Bata testing goes on the P4.

the click to fly thingy is the only feature on the p4 that piques my interest.
I don't have to worry about obstacle avoidance since the trees at the beech aren't very high. I do like the aesthetics of it though.

Obstacle avoidance only in front is quiet useless, they should have done it also for, at least left and right side.

Reactions: Mario_SB

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT