P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

To get those narrower modes the GoPro crops the sensor which gives you a worse image than the already dated one on the Gopro.
The non fisheye lens mod for the GoPro is not a simple replacement and costs several hundred dollars on top of the already overpriced GoPro's.
GoPro has always been soft and a lot of guys change the values on the Phantom to get softer videos anyway but for photos you want it tack sharp right?

GoPros no longer shoot with fisheye anymore. The lens and image is a worlds difference from Hero 3+ and Hero 4 compared to the previous models. If fisheye you mean wide angle? Then, yes the GoPro still shoots wide angle. They also have a "remove fisheye" feature in GoPro Studio. But, i never use GoPro Studio. There also very useful techniques on After Effects and Premiere Pro that get rid of the fish eye.

GoPros no longer shoot with fisheye anymore. The lens and image is a worlds difference from Hero 3+ and Hero 4 compared to the previous models. If fisheye you mean wide angle? Then, yes the GoPro still shoots wide angle. They also have a "remove fisheye" feature in GoPro Studio. But, i never use GoPro Studio. There also very useful techniques on After Effects and Premiere Pro that get rid of the fish eye.
The GoPro still has distortion (fisheye) with its native FOV and the wide angle capture which needs to be fixed in post is not equal to what comes out of the Phantom.

I'm really really relieved the p4 only has these features because I just bought my advanced 4 weeks ago and tbh was expecting a yuuneec typhoon H beater but it's nowhere near except for light bridge.
The range will be about the same
Flight time is now 27mins I've heard....who cares I've got 4 batteries for my p3 !!!
The speed is 45 mph...my advanced sits around 40mph all the time due to wind anyway.I've had over 50mph on many occasions too
I've no need for obstacle avoidance because I know how to fly safely ....
Yes I think IL wait for the p5 or until the extend the typhoon Hs range lol

Fair enough, and I agree.

There are really just two things I want. I want the obstacle avoidance, BADLY, but I will have that with the H which I am already definitely getting but I also really want that tracker. If that works, it's a game changer. Even in the test, it doesn't work so great. As someone that tracks objects daily, I can tell you, tracking aint easy and they will never, NEVER get it perfect but i'll take good.
We agree to agree...that could be a first on this board.
After watching the "Tested" YouTube video, which was publish an hour before the actual P4 announcement. I wasn't impressed when they too it through its paces and it failed.

I'm sure they will button it up. I just refuse to buy anything just released by DJI(learned it with my P2v+, P3A and unfortunately with my Osmo)..... don't get me wrong, I'm a fan boy. Just a very cautious one.

Reactions: Jussaguy and UpTo90
I've sent the DJI advertising email off to my customers, one wanted a recommendation from me and needs it within two weeks.

Are they any good, no known issues etc

I thought the wife would be good and that didn't work out so well.

We agree to agree...that could be a first on this board.
After watching the "Tested" YouTube video, which was publish an hour before the actual P4 announcement. I wasn't impressed when they too it through its paces and it failed.
I'm sure they will button it up. I just refuse to buy anything just released by DJI(learned it with my P2v+, P3A and unfortunately with my Osmo)..... don't get me wrong, I'm a fan boy. Just a very cautious one.
Yeah that Tested video wasn't impressive, it does have some features that aren't possible on the Phantom 3 but it isn't a major upgrade like the Vision+ to the Phantom 3.

Has anyone confirmed that it uses the same thread size filter over the camera lens? (it does have a filter thread right?)

Has DJI ever had a smooth launch?
Inspire - bad IMU, horizon tilt, props coming off, no iOS App
Phantom 3 - no iOS App, cracking
Osmo - horrible audio, drifting issues

I don't expect much from the tracking (bike, board, car, motorised boat?) and I'm not sure if the collision avoidance is available in ALL modes and at what speeds. No doubt these will be tested fully once they come out.

Reactions: Bigdz
I'm expecting this Phantom 4 camera to be between the Inspire X3 and X5 in quality for much less cost.
I will be doing a side by side comparison when I get my hands on it as will a few others I'm sure.

Thanks for your reply. Great info. I'd be really interested to see your comparisons! Please do quote me when posting so get a notification!

At the moment I'm thinking Inspire Pro and Osmo so I can mix it up. I'm wrestling with that option and buying the P4 instead and getting a DSLR for ground work. Arrrghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

UK

Would you suggest a DSLR and gimbal for ground work? Was thinking Osmo but you've put me off!
UK
Don't be put off the Osmo, it really is awesome. I use a Zoom external recorder with mine and they guys I hang out with who use DSLR's all use external mic's anyway. Rode Mic's are a good fit with both the Osmo and DSLR's. The image quality from the small handheld Osmo is really on par with what they get from their DSLR's with big Ronin stabilisers.
The drifting issue was fixed and they come with a flex mic but just like the others the launch was a misstep which was eventually fixed.
I'd be surprised if there wasn't any issue with the Phantom 4's when they come out (hopefully nothing to do with those quick release props)

Reactions: Bigdz and Grae
Fair enough, and I agree.

There are really just two things I want. I want the obstacle avoidance, BADLY, but I will have that with the H which I am already definitely getting but I also really want that tracker. If that works, it's a game changer. Even in the test, it doesn't work so great. As someone that tracks objects daily, I can tell you, tracking aint easy and they will never, NEVER get it perfect but i'll take good.
What do u want the obstacle avoidance for? Just wonder what it could possibly help you avoid? It won't detect branches or wires. What do u need help not crashing into??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

- 28 min of flight
- faster then p3p
- little bit better camera
- obstacle avoidance
- autonomus fliying
I've expected little more. There's no big difference between P3P/A and P4.
I was so sad when there was no 360 camera cus the les dont go up CRY ;-(

- 28 min of flight
- faster then p3p
- little bit better camera
- obstacle avoidance
- autonomus fliying
I've expected little more. There's no big difference between P3P/A and P4.

If it had a zoom camera then I would be in! lets just see what the Inspire has up its sleeve next.

G

What do u want the obstacle avoidance for? Just wonder what it could possibly help you avoid? It won't detect branches or wires. What do u need help not crashing into??
Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
"If" it works like it should then I would hope it stops at least 30% of crashes. Have a look at those drone crash videos and then see how many would have been saved if the drone could detect it was about to run into something.
A lot of the drone crashes are older models but I've seen someone take off with a brand new Phantom 3 and watch it smack into the side of a building because they didn't know their orientation. Even that viral video of the Inspire smacking into a garage may have been avoided if this works as it should.
Once again I don't know the speed tolerances of the sensors yet, the Typhoon H sensors claim to be able to handle up to 12 Mph but BTW that won't be released until April at the earliest so DJI tramples on Yuneec's claim of first consumer drone with collision avoidance (although they do specify the Intel collision avoidance).

"Sharper" isn't exactly better. There is a such thing as cameras being too sharp and looking like perfect home videos rather than amazing photos and cinematic videos. I actually turn down the saturation, sharpness and contrast on my P3. It shoots a little too sharp for me.
Two different subjects. There is lens sharpness, and there is post processing to create the jpg or video. The settings you are turning down are post processing. A sharper lens is always better. You can always blur the processing later for effect, but post processing sharpness added to a blurry lens or out of focus image results in that over processed crunchy look you are referring to.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12