P4 vs. P3 Comparison Thread (Title Changed)

looks like it has been hanging out at fast food restaurants

Perhaps I'll wait for P5
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 12.26.56 PM.png

I'll pass! Wait til the prices drop and they will... This bird has bugs written all over it. SDk will take forever

Like I said before I'm happy with my p3 and inspire 1...DJI should fix current model issues instead of coming up with something new and not addressing the issues the old ones..jmo

this obstacle avoidance thing is pretty useless to me since I always fly a safe distance away from obstacles. I don't like autonomous flying either as I prefer full control of my quad, you'll never know what crap could happen if these things malfunction.

I like the 120fps option though. Don't like how it comes with just a single battery. They should have dual battery packages.

Reactions: Bigdz
It just a matter of time before this is $1199 with free extra battery. The current P3P and P3A pricing is so attractive and likely to steer people towards the less expensive models until price drop occurs.

Reactions: Bigdz and Pishi3G
great thing about this wait a little and p3 prices will drop

this obstacle avoidance thing is pretty useless to me since I always fly a safe distance away from obstacles. I don't like autonomous flying either as I prefer full control of my quad, you'll never know what crap could happen if these things malfunction.

I like the 120fps option though. Don't like how it comes with just a single battery. They should have dual battery packages.

Something inside of me just itches and tells me the Phantom 3 Pro could be hacked and allowed to shoot in 120 fps 1080. When the GoPro Hero 4 black came out. It didn't have many of the features it has now. Including 720p at 240. A simple firmware update a few months later allowed it to shoot with many different options. I can only imagine the same is true for the P3 cameras. Also the P3 advance received an update that allowed it to shoot in 2k which really wasn't a fair update for those who purchased the P3P.

Reactions: evman
I think it looks pretty impressive, sure there will be bugs but it has some nice additional features that make it quite compelling!

I don't like autonomous flying either as I prefer full control of my quad, you'll never know what crap could happen if these things malfunction.
I await the first few reports from Phantom 4 owners who had a fly away because in autonomous object tracking mode the Phantom 4 accidently followed a dog chasing a squirrel.

or a plane

I've got to say I'm not impressed. The extended flight time is the only plus for me. I own a P3P and the 4 just doesn't have enough better options to even consider buying it.

looks like it has been hanging out at fast food restaurants
Thats what I said yesterday and the thread was closed. I think it looks fat or pregnant. Doesn't look sleek to me. But sleek doesn't mean functional.

ahhh I would buy it in a heartbeat if it has an upgraded video downlink at 720/60. TX remains mostly the same as the P3 just with 2 extra switches, pause and sports mode. Emphasis is mainly on collision avoidance and tracking.

No mentions on bitrate either on the downlink, so I assume it is up to 10mbps.

Reactions: Noble 1
Avoidance tech and some redundancy is nice and all, but what I really wanted was significantly longer flight times...
May pass on this one.

I wonder how long it will be until someone is accused of stalking someone with the intellegent flight mode?

Although I just got my setup complete for now I do like some of the options for filming at the lake and snow skiing. But like most everyone's comments in this thread I think I will wait until the fall to purchase once the bugs have been ironed out. Maybe by then there will be an Inspire 2 with the same features... No need for a second controller for the camera man.

Of course I might change my mind if someone wants to make an offer on my P3P with DJI Manfrotto Backpack, 4 Batteries, Polar Pro filters 6pack, polar pro gimbal guard, LED light kit, and I'd throw in the iPad mini 2 (I just got a 4 and want to keep it).

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Moved from less appropriate thread

Yeah, I am pretty much underwhelmed.
1. The "tracking" algorithm seems destined to intermittent behavior. Looking at "Tested's" video it seems you can't move too fast, turn too quickly or turn your back to the camera. I also doubt this thing would keep track of you in a crowd of people.

2. The object avoidance system is pretty cool but you need to remember that it is a very narrow FOV and things right,left, up, down or behind the FOV receive no protection. I also don't believe it has sufficient resolution to avoid wires and cables. I'm not knocking the system, I just want to be clear that it is a baby step towards true collision avoidance.

3. The battery only is rated at 4 minutes more than the P3P or P3A

4. In non-sport mode, the maximum speed has been reduced. In sport mode, 45 knots puts it seriously close to FAA preferred limits.

5. The new gimbal looks really nice and does provide needed support. The upgrade of the camera software allowing 1080/120fps gives some level of High Speed High Def ability where it did not exist previously.

6. It's pretty clunky looking to me.

7. I am also extremely concerned at the marketing of this thing as autonomous. If the FAA doesn't have enough to panic it.....

I just don't think it's enough to make me pack in my P3. Now it is even more likely I will go with a Typhoon H and a Walkera 250 FPV.

One needs to remember this is the "first" P4 and likely we'll see DJI release an advanced and/or pro model at a later date. Those early adopters might miss out on what's likely going to be a new Phantom with several variations, much like what we have with our beloved P3.

When the P3P came out I was very sceptical about upgrading from my P2 with GoPro 4 but inevitably bought one when I really read the features of the P3 and have not looked back.

Having read about the features on the P4 and watched the videos I don't feel any impulse to upgrade to the P4 whatsoever over my existing P3P as some of the features on the P4 I already have via Autoflight Logic's excellent Autopilot app if I want a level of automation.

No doubt it has some nice features, and I would be lying if I said I don't want one, but the truth is it would be financially irresponsible for me to purchase this. . . . .
I have a P3A with 3 Batteries and using Litchi I can do some of the things the new one can do, to a limited capacity.
The benefit to having a P3A is when (not so much if) something happens to it, I am out far less then if I had one of these.
But yeah, if I had a ton of cash lying around I would get one

Reactions: Mario_SB

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl