P4 tilted horizon

I've done 4-5 level calibrations so mine will be going in for warranty service. I'm pretty meticulous about these things so there is absolutely no way this isn't mechanical in my case unless DJi has some special method via software to straighten things out.
ive been debating this too......i have a feeling its fixable through a firmware patch, ive seen peoples tilted both directions which makes me think its not necessarily a hardware issue. I have DJI care so worst case scenario in 6 months i'll send mine in if its still an issue.

So, there is this guys:
A guy in here pointed out in another post that if we hold down C2 (I think, maybe C1) but if you hold one of the back buttons down, then you can control the level using the gimbal pitch wheel while holding down the "C" button. It appears to be just a quick shortcut to the actual gimbal adjustment setting, but I will prolly be using this quick fix until an update hopefully.
Is DJI aware of this BS problem?

I've done 4-5 level calibrations so mine will be going in for warranty service. I'm pretty meticulous about these things so there is absolutely no way this isn't mechanical in my case unless DJi has some special method via software to straighten things out.
It is likely the gimbal set screw, you shouldn't have to adjust it yourself. I had a tilted horizon on my p3p and tried everything but ended up sending it in for service and DJI replaced the whole camera. On my P4 it had a slight tilt on the horizon and it went away after the first compass calibration. One last thing to try is a gimbal auto calibration while hovering 3-4 meters off the ground, it will either say it failed or freeze up, if it freezes up do it again and it should "fail" but horizon might be fixed

So, there is this guys:
A guy in here pointed out in another post that if we hold down C2 (I think, maybe C1) but if you hold one of the back buttons down, then you can control the level using the gimbal pitch wheel while holding down the "C" button. It appears to be just a quick shortcut to the actual gimbal adjustment setting, but I will prolly be using this quick fix until an update hopefully.
Is DJI aware of this BS problem?
If you hold C1 + C2 and turn the right wheel you can manually adjust the tilt but in my experience it always goes back to un-level

Cross wind

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
That's what I thought, for about a second. Think about it, if the bird is fighting a cross wind, the gimbal itself, should and does compensate for that, I know it does, it's one of the functions. More importantly it's one of the functions it's not getting right. I'll bet that if I go and use anyone's P4 that they say is perfect, I'll bet it isn't on this one issue. And Sins, man it's not as easy as a calibration bro, you don't think we are a little more savvy then that? I mean, sure there may be a new guy here and there, but there is a lot of talk about this issue, I am finding out from earlier birds too.
It really sucks, because my bird is solid. I've seen it actually stop at the 72% on the calibration, and it'll say failed or something, then the camera will go back and forth, maybe twice, and finish, then another thing come up and say calibration complete. I've had it stop at 72% and not calibrate, the very first time! That one scared me, being the first I was like "oh no" but since, even if it's says it didn't, I've argued and have been like "BS it IS calibrated!" Of course she don't care (the voice in the app).
I've calibrated the IMU, and noticed 100% for sure, after an IMU you need to recalibrate the gimbal, as my IMU calibrates, the camera drifts all around, if others don't do this maybe I should exchange it, I have maybe another two weeks, you think I should exchange it?

See I feel it's a problem with all of them, some guys don't care or notice, some guys deal with it, some it's worse then others, and then there are the guys actually complaining about it, that's the matrix of how this is going down, I think, because if I thought for two seconds that mine is messed up, I'd have a new bird in 15 minutes.

Now I'm thinking I should return it, but I may get a lemon!?

If you hold C1 + C2 and turn the right wheel you can manually adjust the tilt but in my experience it always goes back to un-level

Wait, so do you experience this too then? I was under the impression you weren't. That's why maybe I was starting to think, what if this isn't a software problem and it is my bird

I did program my C2 button to do a Gimbal Reset in flight and it cleared up my tilt for one flight. I'd have tried it again but it started raining.

I did program my C2 button to do a Gimbal Reset in flight and it cleared up my tilt for one flight. I'd have tried it again but it started raining.
When I look I don't think I have that choice?

I tried a bunch of stuff, like flying in the direction I wanted to fix it, and using up/down camera, all kinds of crazy stuff hoping it was/is an issue that has a totally benign (easy) way to fix this issue. In the thread you'll see how they're talking about holding down the C button(s) and adjusting, but if you yaw for a pano let's say, it'll surely be off again

Wait, so do you experience this too then? I was under the impression you weren't. That's why maybe I was starting to think, what if this isn't a software problem and it is my bird
I only had the tilt issue on my P4 before I did the initial compass calibration. I did have the tilt issue on my p3p and nothing worked, Yunior Hernandez said if a mid air glgimbal calibration doesn't fix it you have to send it in, so I did.

Reactions: Sim597
Were they able to fix it? I didn't realize we could do a calibration while in the air! That might help, I hold down both C buttons?

That tilt is awful. I had a slight tilt on my P3p. Tried everything and noted that it is still there. Mine is not anywhere close to that... That is unbearable. I would have sent it right back from whence it came..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I tried calibration in the air, auto calibration that is, she gets to 72% and stays until I land, and then finishes up all happy, but won't to it in the air, I did it in my main room, has what, 14-15' ceiling and is really big, like 25'X30 so there was no air, it was stabil but not enough to do last bit, my GPS lock was in and out so it was on vision system maybe that's why. I did try some new things, seems if I switch between normal and FPV or "follow" and FPV while rolling sideways, seems to do something. Again, mine isn't nowhere near as bad as the poor OP, but I like symmetry, kinda OCD about level and pitch, or square, guess that comes from being a Pipefitter, always checking to make sure our pipes were square with the world, and level, plumbers pitch, we usually don't unless condensate lines lol.

A tilted horizon is a hardware issue and needs to be replaced or sent in for repair. There is nothing else you can do about it. Even after you try a cold imu calibration it is better, but eventually it will go out again.

The newer production run of the p4 is alot better.

That's what I thought, for about a second. Think about it, if the bird is fighting a cross wind, the gimbal itself, should and does compensate for that, I know it does, it's one of the functions. More importantly it's one of the functions it's not getting right. I'll bet that if I go and use anyone's P4 that they say is perfect, I'll bet it isn't on this one issue. And Sins, man it's not as easy as a calibration bro, you don't think we are a little more savvy then that? I mean, sure there may be a new guy here and there, but there is a lot of talk about this issue, I am finding out from earlier birds too.
It really sucks, because my bird is solid. I've seen it actually stop at the 72% on the calibration, and it'll say failed or something, then the camera will go back and forth, maybe twice, and finish, then another thing come up and say calibration complete. I've had it stop at 72% and not calibrate, the very first time! That one scared me, being the first I was like "oh no" but since, even if it's says it didn't, I've argued and have been like "BS it IS calibrated!" Of course she don't care (the voice in the app).
I've calibrated the IMU, and noticed 100% for sure, after an IMU you need to recalibrate the gimbal, as my IMU calibrates, the camera drifts all around, if others don't do this maybe I should exchange it, I have maybe another two weeks, you think I should exchange it?

See I feel it's a problem with all of them, some guys don't care or notice, some guys deal with it, some it's worse then others, and then there are the guys actually complaining about it, that's the matrix of how this is going down, I think, because if I thought for two seconds that mine is messed up, I'd have a new bird in 15 minutes.

Now I'm thinking I should return it, but I may get a lemon!?

Tilted horizon most definitely is a problem. I have it with my p3p, p3a and my brother has the same issue with his p4. No calibration is gonna fix that, no matter what.
It's a bug that Dji simply ignores even though many many people have opened threads on their site on this.

Nothing I tried worked either on the P3 or this P4. I tried everything and I mean everything that had ever been posted on this subject across these boards and the other board (the largest RC forum on the Internet).

Nothing I tried worked either on the P3 or this P4. I tried everything and I mean everything that had ever been posted on this subject across these boards and the other board (the largest RC forum on the Internet).
I hate to say this, I really do, there are some great guys here and really stand up ppl. I know I will get flamed for this so I am sorry before you read this statement. I just feel that, I mean, there are those that have it and admit it, and those that have it and don't admit it, and then guys like I used to be and didn't notice it, or it doesn't bother them.
I can say this much, if, if I adjust the gimbal manually? Then spin and fly around, it's worse then leaving it at other angles then. So here I am with a new bird, haven't opened it yet as I am almost positive it's the same run. I wish I had looked to see then the first one was made on the SD card. The closer Best Buy will have them on Saturday, those will prolly be newer stock. I know this box doesn't say YouTube Live, like the other box and I think those are the newer ones, but maybe not, I have no basis for that as Its been on the app for a year someone said.

I replaced it because stealmatt said he HaD it and after returning it his is perfect, so I dunno, I am out of answers, I've read about this before too, I'll be first to admit it I am wrong, I hope I am.

I hate to say this, I really do, there are some great guys here and really stand up ppl. I know I will get flamed for this so I am sorry before you read this statement. I just feel that, I mean, there are those that have it and admit it, and those that have it and don't admit it, and then guys like I used to be and didn't notice it, or it doesn't bother them.
I can say this much, if, if I adjust the gimbal manually? Then spin and fly around, it's worse then leaving it at other angles then. So here I am with a new bird, haven't opened it yet as I am almost positive it's the same run. I wish I had looked to see then the first one was made on the SD card. The closer Best Buy will have them on Saturday, those will prolly be newer stock. I know this box doesn't say YouTube Live, like the other box and I think those are the newer ones, but maybe not, I have no basis for that as Its been on the app for a year someone said.

I replaced it because stealmatt said he HaD it and after returning it his is perfect, so I dunno, I am out of answers, I've read about this before too, I'll be first to admit it I am wrong, I hope I am.

I had the same problem with my p3. I tried using a thin sheet of glass rested on the motors to get the quad perfectly level and then did an imu calibration. Then I tried the mid-air gimbal calibration and that would work until I yaw one way or the other and it would be worse as you describe. Finally I had to send it to DJI in Los Angeles to get it fixed and DJI replaced the camera. The shipping was paid for by DJI and the total turn around time was 11 days. I had the issue again with my P4 until I did a compass calibration and then a gimbal calibration and have not had the same problem since.

I have been having this problem and sent it in for repair. I have not tested it but I can tell you what Invoice says:

Phantom 4 - 23125 Motor
Phantom 4 - Roll Motor
Phantom 4 - Roll Shaft Bracket
Phantom 4 - Roll Shaft Rear Cover
Phantom 4 - Gimbal Yaw-shaft & Roll shaft ESC board

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member