P4 Sports Mode. Somewhat excited and cautiously optimistic

Reaction score
My goal with the P4 was to literally fly with the birds. I put glass on some birds out in the distance, I fly out there, hover 7 or 8 feet over the water, and slowly creep up on the birds. I've been shooting wildlife for years using long lenses. I wanted a unique (for me) perspective.

I begin to execute my plan. I'm hovering 7 feet or so over the water and begin creeping up on a pond loaded with tundra swans. I'm getting good stuff. I satisfied with the video I'm getting, so it was time to have fun. I fly close to the birds, and they they take off with me behind them. Who knew a swan could fly so fast?. What I needed was Sports Mode.

I find another small pond with tundra swans in it. Same deal, I creep up on them and they take off with me behind them. I was flying with them! I was doing fine in Sports Mode. I get ahead of them and wait for them to fly under me. That was the moment I stopped relying on muscle memory, and started thinking about what I was doing.

Big mistake. The moment I started thinking about what I was doing I flew the P4 to God knows where, I used RTH to get the bird home.

It is time for me to get the video into my laptop. I'm somewhat excited that I may have a (very) small piece of exceptional video, me flying with a flock of swans.I will be thrilled if I got 10 seconds of video goodness.

Wish me luck, I'm going in :)

Cheers

Reactions: Neon Euc
^ What he said. If you start putting feathers on you drone, we will start to worry about you.:D

@Rich C. well lets see it!
I have a few seconds of goodness. Props in the way, unfortunately necessary, it was tough keeping up with them, but I did. I'm putting together a video of my trip to Stillwater WMA (Fallon, Nevada). What a wonderful place, great egrets and ibis in the middle of December. I never knew that egrets could winter over in the cold (17 degrees F when we arrived there)

The P4 did good in the bitter cold. I started with warm batteries and even though I got the "Low Battery Warning" message, once the bird lifted in the air it let me fly, even with the chilly batteries,

Be back soon. Cheers

Reactions: Neon Euc
My goal with the P4 was to literally fly with the birds. I put glass on some birds out in the distance, I fly out there, hover 7 or 8 feet over the water, and slowly creep up on the birds. I've been shooting wildlife for years using long lenses. I wanted a unique (for me) perspective.

I begin to execute my plan. I'm hovering 7 feet or so over the water and begin creeping up on a pond loaded with tundra swans. I'm getting good stuff. I satisfied with the video I'm getting, so it was time to have fun. I fly close to the birds, and they they take off with me behind them. Who knew a swan could fly so fast?. What I needed was Sports Mode.

I find another small pond with tundra swans in it. Same deal, I creep up on them and they take off with me behind them. I was flying with them! I was doing fine in Sports Mode. I get ahead of them and wait for them to fly under me. That was the moment I stopped relying on muscle memory, and started thinking about what I was doing.

Big mistake. The moment I started thinking about what I was doing I flew the P4 to God knows where, I used RTH to get the bird home.

It is time for me to get the video into my laptop. I'm somewhat excited that I may have a (very) small piece of exceptional video, me flying with a flock of swans.I will be thrilled if I got 10 seconds of video goodness.

Wish me luck, I'm going in :)

Cheers

It was a challenge keeping the wildlife safe, and keeping my bird safe. Here it is, 37 seconds in all its glory.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
awesome! You were pretty dammed low for that entire clip!

awesome! You were pretty dammed low for that entire clip!
Yep, I got down as low as I could go. I'm beginning to get comfortable with stuff like that. It would be marvelous if I knew my height above water tho. Flying with birds is amazing, a truly unique experience for me. It's nice to know that I can fly with big birds... great egrets, GBH, Ibis, cranes, ospreys, swans. These birds are big and it takes them a while to get airborne, I'm hoping to fly with them when it starts warming up around here.

Thank you for your kind words.

Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl