P4 Range?

That is strange. You'd think at a minimum it would have the same transmitter hardware as P3P, if not better. I can't imagine them deliberately tuning it down for any reason.
Are the software updates that they could push to improve this? I am new to the drone scene don't know why it bums me out that the p4 isn't as good as a drone I have never flown.

Doesn't the P4 come with the GL300C controller? If so, it outputs less power than the GL300A and GL300B controllers. This may be where the less distance is coming from...

Reactions: JKDSensei
Are the software updates that they could push to improve this? I am new to the drone scene don't know why it bums me out that the p4 isn't as good as a drone I have never flown.

Not really sure if they can improve this with an update or not. I guess that depends on of its software or hardware related.

I decided to stay with the P3P so I don't have first hand experience with the P4

What are you doing in the P4 thread, peasant? Aha! Of course I'm joking. Thanks for trying to answer my question. :)

What are you doing in the P4 thread, peasant? Aha! Of course I'm joking. Thanks for trying to answer my question. :)

I'm a newbie to this forum. I had an Inspire 1 for a year...unfortunately it met its demise after 200 flights and I decided to go for a P3P, then the P4 as soon as that came out. Replacement Inspire's are terribly expensive and all people did on the InspirePilots forum did was ***** and complain!

Reactions: Yeager74
I'm a newbie to this forum. I had an Inspire 1 for a year...unfortunately it met its demise after 200 flights and I decided to go for a P3P, then the P4 as soon as that came out. Replacement Inspire's are terribly expensive and all people did on the InspirePilots forum did was ***** and complain!

Im new too. So you are saying that the inspirepilot forum people gave you a hard time because you didn't have one anymore? Lame!

Reactions: Yeager74
Ran my P4 tonight with copper windsurfers, lost full connection @ 11,850 Ft.

Used to run my p3p, with same windsurfers to about 13,000ft with almost full singal. Only reason I would return was battery.

Both flights were on the same path, with a clear line of sight.

P3P returned at 23% battery
P4 returned with 55% battery (flew 25% in sport mode, rest in gps)

A bit disappointed. The 10 flights I had with the p4 I lost signal during low flight. In closer ranges, I have the fly the p4 100 ft higher to maintain the same signal as the p3p.

Do you have an early P3P like me with the Version A controller? If so the output is roughly 30% stronger compared to the later version P3P's and P4.
20%. Still significant, but fixable with a modded transmitter. The real loss is in the 20% video power output from the aircraft, which cannot be recovered with a transmitter mod. The GL300C of the P4 has 20% less control power output over the P3P GL300A or GL300B RC's, but they can be paired with the P4 to recover that loss, if you still have them.

Ran my P4 tonight with copper windsurfers, lost full connection @ 11,850 Ft.

Used to run my p3p, with same windsurfers to about 13,000ft with almost full singal. Only reason I would return was battery.

Both flights were on the same path, with a clear line of sight.

P3P returned at 23% battery
P4 returned with 55% battery (flew 25% in sport mode, rest in gps)

A bit disappointed. The 10 flights I had with the p4 I lost signal during low flight. In closer ranges, I have the fly the p4 100 ft higher to maintain the same signal as the p3p.
100 feet higher is the difference between a drone shot and Google Earth! :eek:

Last edited:
Doesn't the P4 come with the GL300C controller? If so, it outputs less power than the GL300A and GL300B controllers. This may be where the less distance is coming from...
Yup, 20% less on the RC and 20% less power output from the P4 aircraft on the video FPV, than the original WM323 P3P. Less control range and less FPV range than the original P3P!

Reactions: JKDSensei
IMG_0479.PNG
Just went out and did a run turned around at this distance as i didn't want to run my new battery down to low (landed with 38%) only lost 1 bar on the video and if i moved the RC around slowly i could get it back, it will do the 3.1mls easily i think. This was rural area very low WiFi. Did the flight in GPS mode with all the sensors turned off roughly 30-31 mph,very brisk side wind i feel you can get a better out & back av. speed with a side wind. This was all stock

Has anyone done a range test? I'd like to know the results.
With no signal enhancers (aluminum reflector)... I flew it out and got around a mile with it at 275 ft altitude.. country setting... starting losing the signal at 1.2 miles, then brought it back. Plenty of battery left. So, really not much different than my P3Pro...

Not really sure if they can improve this with an update or not. I guess that depends on of its software or hardware related.

I decided to stay with the P3P so I don't have first hand experience with the P4

I suspect it can be increased through a firmware update to both the craft and the controller. But I don't think it would be allowed as I believe the FCC would have to approve such an increase on the specific models. I don't know how the FCC works but they may allow the increase on sold models as long as DJi submits and gets approval? Who knows.

Hey guys, we just added the ItElite antenna to our lineup if you want to boost your range. Check us out at Maxx UAV - Use coupon code LUCKY7

I didn't go due to weather. Saw the sun peak out for a few minutes before the clouds rolled in. Didn't want to get caught in the pending rain, though it looks now I would have been OK early.

For me it's the wind that has been keeping my bird down. Thought I would get lucky tonight... then wind picked up. Hopefully tomorrow early or late I get a chance to finally get my bird in the air.

*edit
I should add the bird is up to the wind or should be I just want my first flight not at 20ish mph winds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31