P4 increased lift

Reaction score
My Fire Department has purchased a P4 Falcon edition. We are testing out an option wih dropping a life vest and rope to a stranded surfer. We have reduced the weight to the drone but are still getting the message hat our motors have reached their limit. question is, do we look into new motors or is there any other way to get just a bit more lift without maxing out the drone?

My Fire Department has purchased a P4 Falcon edition. We are testing out an option wih dropping a life vest and rope to a stranded surfer. We have reduced the weight to the drone but are still getting the message hat our motors have reached their limit. question is, do we look into new motors or is there any other way to get just a bit more lift without maxing out the drone?
You don't use a motor scooter to carry 10 bags of cement.
That's what you're trying to do.
The Phantom isn't a load carrier and apart from the weight, it's not going to fly well with a bulky payload.
You need something more like this:
High-tech drone to spread wings on Tweed Coast
需要安全验证

ps ... no idea why that last link came out in Chinese, it's an Australian facebook page.

Reactions: John1960
Seriously?
A professional organization relying on a Chineses flying toy camera to perform rescue opetations.

The P3 can actually lift a little more than a P4 according to tests made by Phantom Forum Members.

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I used to carry Certified Lightweight Inflatable Life Vests in my helicopters but even the lightest vest with a small CO2 Cartridge would weigh more than what a P4 can lift. A P4 maybe could lift a 50' length of 1/4 " poly rope but you would most likely need more than that. Best of luck in your quest!

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you are getting a message that motors have reached the limit, it means you can't lift the payload of that size. You need bigger notifies, bigger props, larger batteries and matched ESCs and may be something more. This would need a total redesign of P4. Or in other words P4 is not that you need for your application, look for a more powerful drone.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

No one's being a snob.
I will admit to being blunt.

I apologize if it sounded rude.

What kind of warning do you get if you're exceeding the lift capabilities of the Phantom? Is it motor temperatures, or some kind of torque-sensing mechanism?

Hope I'm not being politically incorrect by asking that question.

We don't know of any sensors for temp or torque at the motors so it is most likely a battery sensor such as current drain or load.

Listen guys I think you missed the key part of the OP's post...

This is the "FALCON" edition... I'm pretty sure it's almost magical.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

What's a Falcon edition. That's a bit confusing.

If the OP can't afford more than a P4 (because they might need multiple craft, one at each lifeguard station) , the most logical alternative to explore is a lighter life saver. If that's non negotiable, then the P4 isn't the right craft. Seems I recall the P4 able to lift 2lbs in calm weather. Something like this might work weighing 1.5lbs

Seems to me the Phantom is the wrong craft. You don't need a camera for this do you? However you need a drop device that's radio controlled. The Israeli dropping device would be a good solution for P3 or P4, if the jacket is light enough.

Last edited:
Wow, $3250 for a Phantom 4 "Falcon Edition"? For that you can buy an Inspire and increase the lift power.

I'll have to stop by Drone World and see what they mean in their ad, "INTERNALIZED" range booster. I'm a bit skeptical they can put an amp inside the RC and not void the DJI warranty, not to mention violate FCC regulations.

Looks like an FPVLR antenna kit is installed. That should void the DJI warranty.

Hello
animated-smileys-waving-015.gif

Welcome to the forum and the addiction er hobby :)

Contrary to what you've seen above, this is usually a very friendly and HELPFUL forum. I want to personally apologize for the few less than helpful posts above.

If you're department is serious about what you're trying to do you might be better off with another aircraft because the P4 (and P3 series) are very specifically designed and built to be an Aerial Photography platform. They do that VERY well but don't do much of anything else very well.

If you're interested I belong to several more specific "groups" where you might get more detailed and task specific advice than a general forum. I work for a Public Safety Agency and can probably help at least get you headed in the right direction.

Feel free to drop me a PM or leave a post here and I'll contact you.

For others posting here we urge you to THINK before you post:

imagesthink-before-you-speak.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.