P4 IMU calibration on kitchen bench

Reaction score
Finally got my P4 from crazyhobbies.com.au and ran the required updates and wanted to calibrate the IMU.
I have a spirit level app in my phone so checked the kitchen bench top for level, moving the phone around to ensure no false readings. I was about to start when I remembered I had a magnetic/metal detector app on my phone.
I ran that around the benchtop and noted a huge increase in magnetic field where I had planned to sit the P4. I opened the cupboard below and noticed a magnet was the locking device. the magnetic influence went from 47 to 93. I found a spot with no magnets nearby that yeilded a magnetic measure of 44 and completed the IMU calibration there.
How many people do their IMU calibrations on the kitchen bench?
Nice level kitchen bench.
Nice solid peice of furniture, full of magnets!

Just thought it was worth a mention and I would recommend a quick check of the work/kitchen bench with a metal/magnet detection app in their phone.

Could be a reason for many a flyaway P3....

IMU should be good from the factory unless you notice a problem. Compass should be all you need do.

IMU should be good from the factory unless you notice a problem. Compass should be all you need do.

You should always do one when you first get the drone. They get banged around pretty hard during shipping.

Doing a cold IMU calibration cuts the startup warmup in half too.

My P2 and P3 were all good from the box. I check the values on the P3 in the app every flight and they're spot on. Well over 130 flights and no issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31