P4 carrying weight

Reaction score
Does anyone know the max carrying weight for the P4 and any good fishing systems for the P4

I've done tests with a P3A for flying instruments aloft to measure air quality and detect thermal inversions. Attached is a small spreadsheet showing my results. Ask if you need clarification.

Bottom line - I found a payload of 480 grams / 17 ounces could be carried easily, even in light wind, and (under a 107 waiver) up to 700 feet with plenty of battery reserve for getting back down. Although I could lift a 21 ounce payload off the ground I deemed it not safe.

Attachments

• DroneWeightTest.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
The question was simple and twofold. The carryi capacity of the P4P, and a good fishing system. I suggested the Gannet X bait release system as one I use for fishing, and their website lists the weight carrying capacity of the various Phantom drones. So what is the confusio?

I just use home made contraptions for my p4,but will work on any drone,,can carry 6 once sinker and 3 baited hooks,this is safe amount before motors start really working hard,,swivel just sits on tab you can see and either stopping and till back or tightening drag on surfcaster will make it drop off the back,easy,,as for buying stuff you might be in for a wait mayby,,I'm still waiting for Ebay orders but everything is stopped at customs during this lockdown issue so we been advised not to shop ..online..ps..I do all my drops in sport mode so it's got the power,,it dont like GPS mode with weight.gezz we not even allowed to go fishing in this time ,,surfcasting or with a boat
15858566441934898771013233502245.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done tests with a P3A for flying instruments aloft to measure air quality and detect thermal inversions. Attached is a small spreadsheet showing my results. Ask if you need clarification.

Bottom line - I found a payload of 480 grams / 17 ounces could be carried easily, even in light wind, and (under a 107 waiver) up to 700 feet with plenty of battery reserve for getting back down. Although I could lift a 21 ounce payload off the ground I deemed it not safe.

We were at 16 ounces but that demands no swing , very smooth flight and no sport mode.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain
Coal

Hi ianzon, that homemade contraption looks great. Centered enough to balance and carry payload without interfering with camera. Lightweight and strong enough to carry a good load. Does the load come off easy?
Yes works good,either tilt back and slides off or drag on fishing reel and comes off while still moving forward

Phantom 4 can carry around 2lbs what is funny is the phantom 3 can carry slightly more weight :) just a fun fact.

Hello JC in NH,
Air quality, could you elaborate, I work for an air pollution monitoring company, I'd be very interested in the equipment and results?

Here is my experience so far.

I bought a second hand Phantom 4 (not a pro, rtk etc. - a regular P4) but well looked after:
- Refreshed firmware
- Removed gimbal (note - there are two cables -a flat cable and a JST-GH connector cable)
- calibrated compass with new payload
- Flew with payload (high due to large LiPo and a fan on the payload). Using it for some data gathering (terrain mapping for geography research project). Payload weighs 480 grammes. Had to get the CoG right. Can fly with a smaller battery which should reduce weight by around 100 grammes (next steps)

What I found:
- In order to get all telemetry down (i.e. battery level, speeds, heights etc), you need to have the gimbal cables attached at boot up. After these, those can be disconnected and you still receive telemetry. I saw a suggestion on the older P3s that you can confuse the system by attaching a gimbal plug there instead. It does not work for this model. If somebody knows a better workaround, let me know :)

- DJI GO 4 app allows you to turn off the downward VPS (that is mandatory in my case, as I have the payload obstructing the sensors). This action must be done with gimbal attached. Interestingly, I can still hear the clicking of the sonar even after turning it ogg. More interestingly, after exceeding 10-20m of height, I get the solid red LEDs (critical error). The error is:
"Downward sensor error phantom 4 aircraft unstable at low altitude"
Which is rather interesting ... as I have VPS switched off. I guess you cannot truly turn off that system.

Flying in strong / moderate winds with that payload and said error ( doing slow and controlled movements) yielded satisfactory results. I will slowly expand envelope.

Any tips / suggestions / experiences welcome.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31