P4 camera not as sharp as I was hoping

To be fair D-LOG by nature looks, before post processing, blown out, or less vivid, this is on purpose

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
This a pic I took with my p4 . Before color adjustment and after color adjustment. Let me know what you guys think I think it is pretty clear

Attachments

• 1461647424675.jpg
    1461647424675.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 384
  • 1461647434350.jpg
    1461647434350.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 337
TheloniousMac , check you messages

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here is a video clip shot with dlog active track. Shot at 1080p. This is not off the micro SD directly saved from my test flight
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The photo you show here is just a photo not a still taken from a video.
It's bloody obvious from the image size and aspect ratio.
Ok, it's still processing and I would ask you to wait until the 4k is up.

Now keep in mind the GENERATION LOSS. Right out of the bird we are at h264 from a hardware encode. THEN, I export out of Avid for YouTube so it doesn't take a million years to process. THAT takes the quality down a ton. The first generation loss from RAW to h264 (in the MOV or MP4 container DOES NOT matter other than interoperability) and what you get out of the bird is ALMOST the best the camera can offer as the h264 codec is not LOSSLESS but it is not considered "LOSSY" like some codecs. With the right settings, you can get a near perfect image on the first generation of h264 HOWEVER, on the second generation (out of the editor, in this case Avid Media Composer) and then YET AGAIN when it processes in YouTube, it goes through a THIRD generation loss. At this point, the quality of the image, to the trained eye, is far from good, to decent, to crap. Right now, I see this, my video, and I see nothing but crap. This video first of all wasn't taken to test video, I was messing around with the avoidance and the blades make their way in and if I am trying to make a good video, I will set the max gain for the camera tilt so the blades won't get in the video.

But here is, with the latest firmware and app upgrades, 4k video shot in D-Log with -2 -1 -1 settings in the "Style" setting under custom and 24fps @ 4k video resolution. I made a fairly in depth video describing the different formats if you want to watch it, it's in my videos.

In the meantime, I just encoded this for your purposes. This is more up close than that image but this one is completely "raw" and when I say that I mean h264 and no color or any other fixes.

Please make sure to watch in 4k to see the video with the least amount of artifacts. Now I did a 60mb CBR (NOT VBR) that's a constant bit rate vs a variable bit rate which will HELP to eliminate some of the motion artifacts because when you set the motion on the camera the video encoder tries to figure out what to do with it on the fly and it never works good with a VBR. VBRs are good for keeping the size of the video down but doesn't keep the quality up. An encoder who really knows what he's doing will actually keyframe the bitrate but that's a whole other ball of wax.

This is a straight 60 CBR, 4K, D-LOG, completely unaffected video, out of the bird, into Avid, out of Avid, into YouTube, posted on Phantom Pilots for you.

PLEASE change it to 4K as it defaults to 1080p (still processing some of the video when I posted this)

Last edited:
Reactions: clackey
Just so you retards, tossers and trolls get it... Photos are fine. We are discussing VIDEO in DLOG.
Shot in DLOG PHOTO on the same flight as the 4K FRAME GRAB above.
DJI_0068_HDR.jpeg
Hey, I am trying to help you and just spent time encoding video just for you and posting it and finding raw footage, and you are calling the members retards and trolls? Above is video that shows that your camera is bad or you don't know what you're doing.

Reactions: bman1818
I would have my camera looked at if I were you because those are definite artifacts. Either you have a faulty camera, or you have a wacked out wonky setting somewhere in there. It is true that they changed the starting settings so you don't have to tinker as much with the "style" setting when recording videos. Here is a still from an image of video that I blew up, color corrected and that's after it was compressed to h264. Now mind you, I did this color correction in about less than 2 mins of tinkering from the image just to juxtapose whatever you got going on here. This is from the P4 that is giving me fits too. This is a brand new image taken with the P4 after the all the updates.

76VDKpt.jpg
what do you use to colour correct and edit videos? thank you.

what do you use to colour correct and edit videos? thank you.
Depends on the gig but most professionally I will use Black Magic Resolve, then whatever editor I'm in usually has the tools. Any editor with HSL and a 3 wheel color corrector should be able to get you where you need to be but if I had to say the top three CC for video in order it would be Resolve, Media Composer, Premiere Pro and then maybe some secondary and terchiary CC in After Effects if there are comps happening.

Depends.

For stills, Photoshop, Light Room for when I'm being lazy and some other but that's the most of it.

I am also beginning to wonder if the 3D noise reduction isn't partly responsible for this issue. I just recorded some test footage and noticed sharper image quality and detail with it in OFF state

Have you got any good resources or posts to get the good info?
To understand video, you should really understand stills first.

If you don't know how to play off of aperture, ISO, and shutter speed, you are behind the 8 ball when it comes to video.

Watch this video on the three and how they play off of each other and then I will suggest some more stuff for you as it pertains to video. Should be noted that on the P4, we do not have control of our iris (aperature/f/stop), it is frozen at an average f/2.8 (don't know what an f-stop is EXACTLY? Learn). Here ya go.

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
Jussaguy.....I appreciate your tips on exposure, but there are obviously some unhappy campers, too many to just be a " how to operate your camera properly" issue. There is obviously an issue wth the release of these drones and operators of previous drones can see a clear flaw in the video capture capability of these drones. Not to flap my lips too much but I work as a cameraman and editor for a tv show. Other cameraman and editors have reviewed footage captured by these drones and it's quite poor in quality. Poor enough to cancel orders for additional acquisitions of extra drones for work. The craft is an exceptional performer from an aviation standpoint but lacks any form of professional use in the real world. The P4 is merely a hobby toy and a regretful purchase for our business.

Sorry........just trying to work out what just happened after that tsunami, end of world reply. Anyway, the video quality is crap, irrespective of your affiliation with networks. Our p4 will be put on eBay tomorrow for any hobby flyers to purchase. We were warned of dji, we should of listened.

Ps: I am not prepared to have a "how big is my *****" competition as far as shows go.

Thanks for your input.

Sorry........just trying to work out what just happened after that tsunami, end of world reply. Anyway, the video quality is crap, irrespective of your affiliation with networks. Our p4 will be put on eBay tomorrow for any hobby flyers to purchase. We were warned of dji, we should of listened.

Ps: I am not prepared to have a "how big is my *****" competition as far as shows go.

Thanks for your input.

You mean the part where you said basically said "I know what I'm talking about, I work on a show?".

You're welcome. Was just trying to help you trouble shoot. If you aren't going to trust DJI, who are you going to trust?

I also have the DJI s1000, the Inspire 1 V2, and a myriad of others and I can tell you that unless you are building them yourself and I do, or at least let others do it for me when it comes to the ones with the 50lb pay loads and what not.

You're not even paying attention anyway. You are thanking me for something I put up for someone else and not even paying attention to the thing I put up for you. Lol.

So you are going to put your broken P4 on ebay? Nice. Hope you're honest about it and don't screw someone over.

I just want to apologise to Jussaguy for the uncalled for remarks, they were unprofessional and most of all childish. Our unit purchased one of the p4 to add value to content provision and unfortunately it proved unfavourable to,our requirements. Admin, feel free to lock thread.

I just want to apologise to Jussaguy for the uncalled for remarks, they were unprofessional and most of all childish. Our unit purchased one of the p4 to add value to content provision and unfortunately it proved unfavourable to,our requirements. Admin, feel free to lock thread.

Dude, you owe me no apologies! I don't even know what you're apologizing for TBH but thanks. All is good in the hood broski.

Reactions: bman1818
Gotta be careful with 4K. The P3 / P4 video stream is BARELY able to keep up. It's OK for static or slowly moving scenes but you can blow it out by moving the scene quickly. You don't need anything other than a generic Class 10 SD card - faster ones aren't going to help.

I would start by filming with the P4 on the ground on a box or something - if your static images are crap, then you have something inherently wrong with your camera / gimbal. If the static movies are OK, then it's likely a shutter speed issue or perhaps a gimbal problem.

I'm still using D-LOG, I haven't noticed any change in quality but enough people have complained about it to switch to some other setting (None wold be a good start if you will do post processing).

Makes sense. Static images seem to be very nice. At distance, object stay crisp when in motion. Subject that are close, say less than 10 feet are significantly blurred and get better as distance increases.

Reactions: johnbowen

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic