P4 camera not as sharp as I was hoping

Okay did another shoot, but with the help of photoshop. Quality dramtically improved. I would go as far to say that the P4 produces better clarity photos to the horizon than the P3.
Is that a HUAWEI ball?! Lol
I can read it clearly
Cool

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Its a helium filled balloon to take people up. However, its been grounded as operator and goverment are arguing over the legality of having the balloon so close to the highway and flat complexes.

Alright. Understanding that everyone has differing eyes, I'm at the point now where I think I should post a photo and get some insight.

Dropbox - 120-100.JPG

This is the file from the SD card. It was shot grounded 1/120 shutter at ISO100. It just looks blurry to me but my middle-aged eyes just can't tell. My next step is an ND filter to get the shutter down a bit lower but I'm not too sure how much that will help. Thanks all!

I don't understand as the only changes from the two cameras are less vignetting and less distortion via the lens. It's possible your buddy had lower ISO setting, that's where your noise was introduced. When I put my card in my 4K UHD TV, they look really good, I mean my family was blown away by how sharp and clear my videos were. (Of course they don't have any 4K to compare too)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I'm curious as to which TV you have that will allow you to put your card directly into it to watch the files right out of the quad. Thanks.

Maximum bitrate of both camera's (P3 & P4) is 60Mbps, which really is far too low for good quality 4K.
4K contains 4 times more information per rame, so has to be compressed 4 times more than 1080p, resulting in lower quality.
Also 1080p at 30fps gives better picture quality than 1080p at 60fps.

See:

There is a difference. The issue is that when flying very slowly over row of bushes, the resultant video is just a mashed up blur of green foliage which lacks detail.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
You cannot do anything about the artefacting as this sounds like what you are seeing. But I find this odd unless you are looking at this under a microscope. The 60mbs is admittedly not much for 4K (as 4K goes) but you shouldn't be noticing artefacting too much unless the camera is very close to the problem areas you are talking about i.e camera is passing very quickly and closely over the high detailed areas. I would hazard a guess that your sharpness is high; also have you tried applying ND filters to slow down the shutter?

Maximum bitrate of both camera's (P3 & P4) is 60Mbps, which really is far too low for good quality 4K.
4K contains 4 times more information per rame, so has to be compressed 4 times more than 1080p, resulting in lower quality.
Also 1080p at 30fps gives better picture quality than 1080p at 60fps.

See:
This really makes sense!!
Thats y my friends advance takes so much better videos at night at 1080p than my 4k!
I wish it could be becuz of the sd card..

I've noticed that the sharpness varies a lot, I shot on a cloudy day and the video looked awful..I didn't really know to adjust the video settings and now that I have a better grasp on that, i'm sure it will be much better going forward. I also just recently purchased an IPad mini retina and I think that will really help me adjust the settings properly while in flight, with my iPhone 6 display, I just couldn't see the detail because the screen is so small, so I couldn't adjust the camera settings properly.

You are 100% right... when i went from p2 with gopro4black to p3p i was sooooo dissappointed!

I was shooting the trees as well and its lacking so much detail compared to p2 with gopro. It all looks mushy and compressed and soft. No settings will help you as i tried pretty much ewerything. It sucks i know, 50mbps for 4k video is super low and it shows !

Has anyone noticed that the P4 camera is not as sharp and does not give much detail when shooting in 4K. I find that phantom three professional video seems much more detailed than the P4.

Can anyone please offer some advice on getting better quality images out of this camera as this is the biggest disappointment since purchasing this drone.

I am using a genuine SanDisk micro SD card the extreme edition and I am shooting in 4K 25 frames per second with an output format of .mov

I find when flying over forests all even plantations with corn and wheat that the results are a very messy soft minimal details result.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ok. So. I tested some videos. 1080p only records data at 25mbps. 4k at 60mbps. Tell me if anyone else is experiencing this. Or it might be my card. Videos r so noisy at night. ****.

I have same problem with video footage (a lot artifacts, blurry view etc.)
Specs:
3D denoiser: Disabled
Shutterspeed: 50
ISO: 100
Video: 1920x1080 25fps
Format: MOV/PAL
Filter: PolarPro Cinema ND/16
Color: D-Log
Style: -1 -2 -2
White Balance: Sunny

Clean file, from SD Card - DJI_0250.MOV

Is it cam problem or D-Log, or settings?

Sincerely, Deimantas.

Specs:

Sincerely, Deimantas.

If you have to shoot D-Log, use 0 sharpness. I'm sure you will find better results using None though.

Okay, so after reading through 6+ pages, I'm gonna ask. What's the final verdict on these two machines? Which one does a better job in terms of image quality?

I bought the P3P and the P4 within days of each other and I'm having a really hard time deciding which one is going to be the keeper.

Okay, so after reading through 6+ pages, I'm gonna ask. What's the final verdict on these two machines? Which one does a better job in terms of image quality?

I bought the P3P and the P4 within days of each other and I'm having a really hard time deciding which one is going to be the keeper.
The Phantom 4 is almost objectively a better machine then the P3P.

It's not so far and away better that P3P owners should sell and trade up but if you are getting something new, IMHO, you would be foolish to get the P3P over the P4. There's no question to me.

Also, having used the Typhoon H, it's an awesome flying experience but the Phantom 4 with its mediocre camera is better than the CGO3 just barely mediocre camera and some people are getting bad cameras on the H.

So right now, as listed on my blog, the Phantom 4 is the best prosumer drone on the market in my opinion. It's a powerful workhorse that if working properly (big if for some) is better than all on the market in the price point and even out of the price point, I don't think there is a photography cam that is more fun to fly. My opinion. Certainly is subjective.

"Almost objectively"?

So, sort of but not really and perhaps maybe?

OK, I'd go for that. In terms of photography I really doubt you can do an A/B test and get even experienced photographers / video folks to tell you which camera did it. I certainly can't see it looking at posted work.

"Almost objectively"?

So, sort of but not really and perhaps maybe?

OK, I'd go for that. In terms of photography I really doubt you can do an A/B test and get even experienced photographers / video folks to tell you which camera did it. I certainly can't see it looking at posted work.

Depositphotos_12879103_original.jpg

***Edit: I'm leaving the confused dog because hes so cute but I get what you were saying but I wasn't referring to the camera. Yeah, the camera on the P3P, P4, X3 and even X5 are almost identical without mods. I was referring to the bird and how it flies.

And "almost objectively" is a colorful way of saying it's opinion but pretty obvious. (I.e. The Empire State Building is objectively taller than a 10 story project in the south Bronx but it's subjective that it is a prettier building but it's 'almost objective' as in it's always going to be opinion but you won't find many who think the 10 story project in the south Bronx is better looking than the ESB".

Last edited:
I'm 90% sure I'm going to keep my P4 and return my P3P because my 14 day return period is almost up. I really, really, really hope I'm making the right decision.

Specs:

Sincerely, Deimantas.

Looks like you did a gimbal calibration whilst pointing the camera back at the city?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

i don't get why people are shooting in D log at all...

The idea of d-log is similar to that of shooting RAW. The DLog resultant image is less affected by the internal processing to give the user more control over image processing in post. That's why 'theoretically' it's a good idea to keep all of the other settings as close to zero as possible and turn off all auto settings.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav