P3S - at my wits end

Reaction score
Hello all,
Sorry to make this my first post.
backstory - i had a P3S, flew it, all good, loved it. crashed it. snapped an arm off the gimble (oops) and tore the ribbon cable off. Drone was still able to fly just with no vision, no big deal.
saw a used gimble + camera assembly online - purchased said gimble.
installed it, and upon turning it on, nothing happens with the gimble, lights flash etc, i get prompted with (must update firmware) ok, cool, no worries. Launch the dji go app, start installing the update and......20%... Failed, restart drone etc etc.
crap. so i do it again, and again, and have no luck.
Do some research, format Sd card in Pc, download firmware directly to pc, unzip, copy to root directory of sd card. insert sd card into drone, start manual update process.... gimble light flashes green and red for a little while and then...... solid red, update failed. crap.
resync aircraft to RC, redownload dji Go, try again, no luck. starting to panic.
eject sd card, try to just turn the **** thing on and see if i can fly it blind again. no luck.
just sits there and beeps (very softly, barely audible) red solid lights, slowly flashing yellow lights (as per normal i think?)
look up firmware version of aircraft in Djigo,
app is 3.1.23
aircraft is 1.2.40
RC is...N/A

what the!
ive posted in facebook groups with no luck, so im basically at my wits end, does anyone have ANY ideas? please? haha

thanking you in advance :)

and i realize that the aircraft version is super old.... haha. i bought it from a friend who had never bothered with updates or anything, and since it worked.... i just flew it.

oh, and also, if i plug my usb cable into both the gimble or the aircraft, i get nothing come up on my windows 10 Pc....

Welcome to the Forum!

"nothing happens with the gimble, lights flash etc" Gimbal doesn't move but the light on gimbal does?
"resync aircraft to RC" This was successful? Green light on Remote and link light on bottom side of Phantom?
"if i plug my usb cable into both the gimble or the aircraft" Gimbal should work.
The aircraft connection may show up, but you have to use the app to get it to download. I would worry about that one yet.
"red solid lights, slowly flashing yellow lights" Yellow would mean no remote control signal to Phantom.
I would on hook the gimbal, and see if start the motors, or the lights change.

Rod

RodPad! thank you for your quick reply :)
the gimbal does not move whatsoever, but the light on the side of the gimbal does.
Resyncing the aircraft to Rc is successful, green lights on both (however still N/A in version number)
plugging usb into gumbal definitely does nothing at all, tried on 2 PCs, and a number of cables. ( could this indicate a faulty gimbal board?)

i will get around to disconnecting the gimbal this evening and trying again :) almost threw it against a wall yesterday i was so frustrated with it haha.

Is it worth checking the Log file? i've heard mention of this but never done it myself....

The .dat files that is on the Black Box SD card, I don't think is going to help you.
The RC version being blank is normal on a P3S. :rolleyes:

Lights for Phantom..

Phantom Lights.png

@msinger s Phantom Help.

DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

If the gimbal doesn't shake, you must have made a mistake. ;)

Rod

not sure what mistake i could have made? there are 3 connections when hooking up the replacement gimbal, the two antenna(i think thats what they are, small round pop on/off connector) and the white plug. i took a photo and replaced all 3 cables as per the original. sigh, how frustrating.
Thanks for the tip about no version for the RC, thats one less concern.

ok, so after pulling the battery out, reinstalling dji go, and relinking the aircraft and controller and phone, im able to connect again. i am able to do an IMU calibration, and I am able to calibrate the compass. i am able to take off, and i am able to fly. It will still not update, no matter the method i try, but i CAN fly again.... however.... i am NOT able to get an image on my phone, I get the green LED on the side of the gimbal, but NO dance on startup at all. the camera itself gets HOT, and i mean HOT after a while of being on, so i am assuming its getting power.

In 'overall status' it tells me there is a gimbal tilt error, and a gimbal roll error. hardware malfunction, contact customer service.
all of the ribbon connectors into the camera itself, etc, all seem fine and pushed in correctly.
Any ideas? I'm flagging the idea of updating, as it's clearly not meant to be, but ****, after getting a new (used) gimbal to attach, i was hoping i could at least get some **** video signal haha.

i still have a spare gimbal board, so i could always swap those for an attempt. But if its getting hot, its getting power right?

Hey Guys,
First I don't think the standard camera/gimbal has a fan? I think only the 4K pro version has cooling fan!

If gimbal is getting hot, something is wrong, one of the drivers is out of center, or something else?
( slightly warm is ok, but HOT, is not good! )

How about using the ( arm ) from this new/used camera unit to rebuild your broken camera ( with a new ribbon cable ( good one not cheap knockoff ribbon ) ?
You might have better luck with it?

Just sounds like something is a miss with it?
You sure no further damage to craft ( interior ) components?
No torn or damaged cables or wires coming from craft to camera ( look closely ) .

But I'd use new camera to rebuild your old one, tons of great step by step videos ( YouTube ) on the procedure!

( start ribbon at camera and work backwards to mainboard ) this will save you a HUGE headache later!

J Dot
:cool:

Keep us updated!

Reactions: RodPad
Thanks,
I didn't have to sign on until now, I will remember the fan thing.

Rod

I crashed my P3S. Hit the concrete hard. By the time I replaced damaged parts I could have bought another one. After waiting on parts and being grounded most of the time I was able to get another P3S. I continue to fly what I call the "crash drone." The fear of sending it off on a mission is not as bad. The fear of crashing is not as bad. It has made flying so much more enjoyable instead of worry. Frustration went from 10 to 0.

I crashed my P3S. Hit the concrete hard. By the time I replaced damaged parts I could have bought another one. After waiting on parts and being grounded most of the time I was able to get another P3S. I continue to fly what I call the "crash drone." The fear of sending it off on a mission is not as bad. The fear of crashing is not as bad. It has made flying so much more enjoyable instead of worry. Frustration went from 10 to 0.
Its like Vegas. No fun unless you can afford to lose it all.

You gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em. When it comes to getting another one you should probably not run it by the commanding officer. She has bigger things to worry about. Just sayin.

ok, so after pulling the battery out, reinstalling dji go, and relinking the aircraft and controller and phone, im able to connect again. i am able to do an IMU calibration, and I am able to calibrate the compass. i am able to take off, and i am able to fly. It will still not update, no matter the method i try, but i CAN fly again.... however.... i am NOT able to get an image on my phone, I get the green LED on the side of the gimbal, but NO dance on startup at all. the camera itself gets HOT, and i mean HOT after a while of being on, so i am assuming its getting power.

In 'overall status' it tells me there is a gimbal tilt error, and a gimbal roll error. hardware malfunction, contact customer service.
all of the ribbon connectors into the camera itself, etc, all seem fine and pushed in correctly.
Any ideas? I'm flagging the idea of updating, as it's clearly not meant to be, but ****, after getting a new (used) gimbal to attach, i was hoping i could at least get some **** video signal haha.

i still have a spare gimbal board, so i could always swap those for an attempt. But if its getting hot, its getting power right?
Unsure on the hot cam temp but just update with no usb,just use your device (phone or tablet) turn rc and AC on and conect with device and update,I'm not one to update but it was time,new firmware straight away on the p3s,I got sick of looking at Red new firmware logo at top of my screen,using Samsung device and phantoms own wifi , flying in 15 min

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20