P3P Updates FW vs Pilot App

Reaction score
So I have decided NOT to update the FW on the acft/controller due to all the problems folks have been reporting. What I haven't heard is what is different on the Pilot App. I am using android TAB 4 and running the 1.1.0.
Has anyone updated their pilot app to 1.2.0 and still running the 1.1.9 FW on the acft. What difference has anyone found in the new 1.2 vs the 1.1 added features? real time bug fixes? or just the same as before?

With any new firmware update, you have to evaluate whether the cure is worse than the disease. DJI confirms that the latest update addresses "miscellaneous bug fixes" while logically potentially introducing new bugs from the new code. If you don't update, you will be subject to the "miscellaneous bug fixes" which DJI won't clarify. Some of those miscellaneous bug fixes were clearly a contributing factor in crashes while flying with the 1.1.9 FW release. It's not like the 1.1.9 FW was rock solid. Not updating is just as risky, when flying through a minefield of known fixed bugs that you will encounter. Besides, it voids your warranty.

With any new firmware update, you have to evaluate whether the cure is worse than the disease. DJI confirms that the latest update addresses "miscellaneous bug fixes" while logically potentially introducing new bugs from the new code. If you don't update, you will be subject to the "miscellaneous bug fixes" which DJI won't clarify. Some of those miscellaneous bug fixes were clearly a contributing factor in crashes while flying with the 1.1.9 FW release. It's not like the 1.1.9 FW was rock solid. Not updating is just as risky, when flying through a minefield of known fixed bugs that you will encounter. Besides, it voids your warranty.
so as far as I'm concerned that was a totally useless waste of your time and mine in replying to a question that you didn't answer. I didn't ask for your opinion on updating the FW. I was asking if there was any difference in the pilot app.

So I have decided NOT to update the FW on the acft/controller due to all the problems folks have been reporting. What I haven't heard is what is different on the Pilot App. I am using android TAB 4 and running the 1.1.0.
Has anyone updated their pilot app to 1.2.0 and still running the 1.1.9 FW on the acft. What difference has anyone found in the new 1.2 vs the 1.1 added features? real time bug fixes? or just the same as before?

if you ever use the custom settings in video transmission these have now gone, you can only use the auto settings. i've got both versions downloaded so i'm gonna try a range test as soon as weather clears up. see if i can get further on custom settings with the bitrate dialled down..

so as far as I'm concerned that was a totally useless waste of your time and mine in replying to a question that you didn't answer. I didn't ask for your opinion on updating the FW. I was asking if there was any difference in the pilot app.

Well, then, hopefully, one of the other readers of this thread will get some benefit out of it! ;-)

As to your Pilot app on Android, I can't say, as I only use iOS, but this last firmware update to the P3P and the transmitter doesn't change anything I know of in the iOS Pilot app, as the Pilot app version remains unchanged on iOS, having last been updated on May 27, 2015. Changes to the Pilot app on both Android and iOS can only be made through the Play Store or the App Store by updating the Pilot app itself. Hope this helps, if not you, then somone else!

Wow.

What I haven't heard is what is different on the Pilot App. I am using android TAB 4 and running the 1.1.0.
What difference has anyone found in the new 1.2 vs the 1.1 added features?
1.2 allows you to reset homepoint to the aircraft's current location or to use dynamic homepoint.

1.2 allows you to reset homepoint to the aircraft's current location or to use dynamic homepoint.

In the iOS app, we have now the choice of supposedly resetting the home point to either the location of the aircraft or the current location of the transmitter (still no dynamic home point yet). However, every time I attempt to do so, to either location, I get a message about too weak a GPS signal, and the home point is never changed. This is even while trying to reset the home point to the same location the aircraft is still in, because I haven't lauunched yet, but it already acquired a homepoint in that position. Is this a bug? Further, on a WiFi only iPad, since the transmitter has no internal GPS receiver, the only way the home point could be updated to the transmitter location is via a WiFi connection, or an external BT GPS device, like a Bad Elf connected to the WiFi only device, which I use all the time for golf. Yet even with that device connected, and with WiFi available, I still cannot successfully update the Home Point to the transmitter location. Also, using my iPhone 6+ instead of my WiFi only iPad Mini Retina, I still cannot reset the Home Point to the transmitter location. I have also tried using the iPhone 6+ as the WiFi HotSpot for the iPad Mini Retina. That works fine for the map downloads in the field, but also still won't allow me to reset the Home Point to the transmitter. Any ideas?

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Have you enabled GPS Location data for your phone?
Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed, I have GPS Location data on all the time on the iPhone 6+. Any idea if the Pilot app should be able to use an iPad BT connected GPS for it's GPS, if the iPad is WiFi only? When I turn off Wifi on the WiFi only iPad, I get a prompt from the Pilot app telling me that location data will be more accurate if I turn it back on, or something to that effect. Can you also confirm that there is no GPS in the P3P transmitter? Without GPS in the transmitter itself, setting the Home Point to the transmitter location clearly won't work, without GPS from the iPad/iPhone, and only the Cellular capable iPads have an internal GPS chip. I use the BT connected Bad Elf to increase GPS accuracy and location response times and battery life on both the WiFi only iPad Mini Retina and the iPhone 6+ for tracking my golf shots using GolfLogix. It works there, but maybe the Pilot app hasn't yet been optimized for such external BT GPS use by the iOS device for the transmitter location. The alternative is to make the iPhone 6+ the Hotspot WiFi for the iPad, which works for the maps, but not yet for me for the transmitter home Point selection.

For me there was. Which is pretty much everything. The old was basic to me. I couldn't go from PAL to NTSC was the biggest. The old had gimbal calibration but it disappeared. To me it was worth it to update. And it finally let's you download any of the Phantom PDFs. Just saying it was a big improvement to me.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers