P3 Firmware P3P range / firmware suggestion

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Long time flyer here and am having issues with signal strength from controller to drone. I am getting disconnects when only 200ft away at times. I looked at firmware and notice I am way behind.

My drone is 1.5.30+ and controller at 1.8.0.

DJI is surely going to recommend I update firmware before anything else. I haven't had time to go through all these threads and am hoping someone who is more up to date on day to day things to recommend or tell me what I should update to.

Any downsides or features lost if I update from 1.5.30? For example

If you were getting good distance before and suddenly not, it would unlikely to be a firmware issue. Also at only 200 feet distance, it is also unlikely firmware issue.

Maybe you have a lose antenna connection internally?

Reactions: xuler
Yeah, not sure. I certainly haven't opened it up to look. DJI just asked me for my firmware versions and I am sending them that info. But I am assuming they are going to ask me to update the firmware.

Should also add, I'm not sure I was ever getting good distance on this particular drone. This replaced a P2 and a P3A I have. I don't know I've ever attempted long distance on this one.

Here is an example of what I am dealing with: Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

I wouldn't make any FW changes until you get the current problem straightens out. I agree with others that it's more likely a hardware problem. Have to ask the obvious question, are you sure that you have the remote antennas oriented correctly?

I have been having a horrible time with pixelating video on my tablet. This has been going on for some time and makes the p3p almost unusable. The video goes to crap after about 20-30 feet. Total loss of signal at by about 800 ft.
Tonight I downgraded the firmware for the RC to 1.6.0 and worked like a charm. Upgraded back to 1.8 and was horrible while still holding it in my hand.
Downgraded to 1.6.0 and flew out 2000 ft with a perfect image. Happy once again as I thought it was a pricey hardware issue.

Have you tried to roll back your RC firmware? Your RC may have updated. Worth a shot.

1.8 may not communicate properly with 1.5 on the bird.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers