P3P photos blur in the middle – a bug or a feature?

That colleague would be me :) Here are a pair of shots, before and after. Both are 100% crops from center area in original images.

Slightly different angle and viewpoint..winter came during the service trip etc. There could be also different settings in use but the settings were not the root cause.

Clearly there was something wrong with the gimbal, camera and/or with the fixed focus adjustment.

View attachment 36539 View attachment 36538

Video was however ok before, haven't tested yet how it is now.

Br,
Mika
Yup that's pretty much how some of my pics look like...but it varies and so does the video...I'm going to recalibrate everything again and if I still get these blurred images. I will send to DJI. thanks

I contacted DJI Europe support. They took a look at some sample shots and told me quickly that blurry picture are just a feature of the camera, not a bug.

DJI Europe support recommended to purchase Inspire 1 and Zenmuse X5. Maybe I will in some day.

Lol, what the hell kind of "feature" is that? I think something was lost in the translation there. A feature is desirable characteristic of a product, I'd hardly call a blurry lens a feature.
Sounds like pretty horrible customer service you got there.

Lol, what the hell kind of "feature" is that? I think something was lost in the translation there. A feature is desirable characteristic of a product, I'd hardly call a blurry lens a feature.
Sounds like pretty horrible customer service you got there.

Well, this wasn't their exact wording. I actually got a polite message quickly. No complains about that.

Would you be interested in checking out two of my photos, I think I might have the same issue, but curious what everyone thinks....

Attachments

• DJI_0028.JPG
    DJI_0028.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 430
  • DJI_0027.JPG
    DJI_0027.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 403
Would you be interested in checking out two of my photos, I think I might have the same issue, but curious what everyone thinks....

Even though the noise reduction level seems to be in quite high level (due to these are probably directly from the camera? and took with high ISO setting, 1600), I don't see a similar issue here. Pls post new samples using for example ISO100.

Br,
Mika

I had a problem with the left side about 15% of the frame of all my photos (and video) would be slightly out of focus compared to the rest of the crisply clear photo/video. Then months later I experienced a crash, the gimbal broke off (and case cracked etc) and I sent it in to DJI and they fixed all for no charge, including replacing with a new gimbal and camera. I got it back 3 weeks later and now al my photos and videos have no blurry issues anywhere...

Thanks for the insight.

@Mikak, here are some more photos

Photo details - ISO 100
Exposure - 1/125

Attachments

• Jons Lake House-6.JPG
    Jons Lake House-6.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 402
  • Jons Lake House-10.JPG
    Jons Lake House-10.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 381
I have had the same issue on 3 birds. Only the left side of the image are in focus, center and right side are blurry as hell.

Finally DJI promised to repair my P3P and fix the blurness in my images. I sent the drone to DJI Europe in the end of December and got it back few days ago.

Here's my conclusion based on sample photos and discussions with several P3P owners. There are four types of P3P cameras around:
  • The still pictures are mostly blur from left to right and from top to bottom.
  • There is a blur area on the sensor which is about 30% from the right or left side.
  • There is a blur area in the middle of the sensor.
  • The still images are sharp. There is only minor softness if any.
The bad news is that you never know what you're going to get. My drone's camera was the type 3 until DJI fixed it and is now the type 4 which means that everything is fine.

Finally DJI promised to repair my P3P and fix the blurness in my images. I sent the drone to DJI Europe in the end of December and got it back few days ago.

Here's my conclusion based on sample photos and discussions with several P3P owners. There are four types of P3P cameras around:
  • The still pictures are mostly blur from left to right and from top to bottom.
  • There is a blur area on the sensor which is about 30% from the right or left side.
  • There is a blur area in the middle of the sensor.
  • The still images are sharp. There is only minor softness if any.
The bad news is that you never know what you're going to get. My drone's camera was the type 3 until DJI fixed it and is now the type 4 which means that everything is fine.
Good for you...I have type 3 as well and I have learned to live with it. The blur in the Center is mild to moderate, depending on scene, both with video and photos. I also can work some of it out with photoshop but not all. Good for you to keep trying with DJI I-

Thanks for the insight.

@Mikak, here are some more photos

Photo details - ISO 100
Exposure - 1/125

I find it hard to tell from those Photos. Too far away from sharp edges. It is easier to tell if what we know has sharp edges. Such as grass, trees, leaves, buildings.
Talk a look at these. They belong to someone else that posted. But I look at them when I want to see what a good image is like..
Even at 100% zoom they are still good. On any of the images posted here, you can right click and save image to hard drive and look at it with your own software. For an excellent free viewer try FastStone.
DJI_0015.jpg DJI_0008.jpg DJI_0015.jpg DJI_0008.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20