P3P drifting

Reaction score
I am seeking help in eliminating the drift in my P3P while it is hovering at any altitude. I've calibrated the IMU and RC. But it still drifts. This wasn't always the case, but noticed today. I've looked over the forum threads, but so far they've not described a solution that's worked for me. Here's the video:

Last edited:
I may be wrong but there appear to be some fairly overhanging trees which in my opinion could possibly affect the GPS somewhat. If you haven't already, try another open location which is completely clear of trees and see what happens.

Also check for deformed props, the secure fixing of your motors and any unusual significant twisting/movement in the arms.

Reactions: SeabeeEO3
I may be wrong but there appear to be some fairly overhanging trees which in my opinion could possibly affect the GPS somewhat. If you haven't already, try another open location which is completely clear of trees and see what happens.

Also check for deformed props, the secure fixing of your motors and any unusual significant twisting/movement in the arms.
Agree with Steve. My P3A does the same thing if I'm low to the ground in an area with nearby trees. Try ascending above the tree line and see if it shows the same behavior. If so, I'd recommend an IMU calibration + compass recalibration.

Reactions: Droneted
I had this same issue and it was because of the trees. I took it to an open field, re-calibrated everything and it was solid as a rock.

That looks pretty normal to me. I believe (from aged memory) that the specs for horizontal positioning are +/- 1.5m using GPS mode.

This draft is well above my previous flights and effects the video I record. So I think something is awry and will follow the recomendations as described in earlier threads. Thanks.

I always look everything over before I launch. Nothing wrong. I've also flown in the same area with no drift, so something is not right. Have not heard about recallibrating the remote in P mode. Have you?

Reactions: Arctroop
Not specifically as suggested by Alan Russel, no. It seems that neither have dji.

If you've flown in that exact area in the past with less drifting (just to check, with leaves on the trees? :)) then there's obviously a problem.

Whatever the specs might say, I would be well miffed if my P3P drifted +/- 1.5m horizontally in GPS mode in totally windless conditions. It's almost always rock solid with negligible drift, certainly less than yours is showing.

Reactions: rwparkinson
The P mode?

You can switch flying modes using the switch on the top left of your RC. There's F, A, and P.

"When in P-mode, your Phantom will automatically switch from P-GPS to P-OPTI when the GPS signal is not sufficient. And, it'll switch to P-ATTI when neither GPS or Vision Positioning are available. It's not possible to manually switch between those three states."

I'm sorry. I always calibrate in P-mode; don't know what I was thinking when I inquired reqarding same. Appreciate your response. Recalibrated IMU and RC yesterday. Will test today.

Good to know about the trees. I've had a lot of drifting too, and that's probably why.

I'm sorry. I always calibrate in P-mode; don't know what I was thinking when I inquired reqarding same. Appreciate your response. Recalibrated IMU and RC yesterday. Will test today.
try switching props around and see if it drifts different or not at all

I am seeking help in eliminating the drift in my P3P while it is hovering at any altitude. I've calibrated the IMU and RC. But it still drifts. This wasn't always the case, but noticed today. I've looked over the forum threads, but so far they've not described a solution that's worked for me. Here's the video:
Try balancing your propellers that can make it drift..

Regarding switching props. I store the P3P in a DJI backpack when not in use. So each time I fly the configuration of the props on the silver and black moters is random.
Regarding balance. I put new DJI props on and it still drifts.
Thanks to all for responding.

As with any electric motor, it is a good idea to occasionally oil the motor bearings with a good grade light bearing oil. You might have a dry bearing.

I'll keep that in mind, however aircraft sent to DJI customer service center to address my inability to correct for uneven horizon after multiple IMU and gimble calibrations.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor