P3P Controlling Gimbal Pitch When RC Out of Range

Reaction score
How can I set or adjust the gimbal pitch on my P3P when flying a mission (using Litchi) that is beyond the RC range?

I tried to create a mission that points the gimbal to the angle that I need while the RC and P3P is connected. However once the connection is lost the gimbal returns to level pitch. What options if any are available?

Reactions: RodPad
Stay within RC range is your only option.

This isn’t a litchi limitation, it is a limitation in the onboard flight controller (what actions are supported flying lost connection mission completion).

To add to the above, any actions you choose to do at way-points will not happen, when you don't have a RC Connection.

Rod

To add to the above, any actions you choose to do at way-points will not happen, when you don't have a RC Connection.
Did you read post #2?....... ROFL.gif

To all that have answered, I understand that once the RC looses connection there is no control over the gimbal. My question asked how do I set the gimbal pitch, say -42 degrees, and have it stay at this angle even when the RC signal is lost. I have tried a couple of missions and each time the gimbal moves to level (0 degrees) position once the RC looses connectivity.

To all that have answered, I understand that once the RC looses connection there is no control over the gimbal. My question asked how do I set the gimbal pitch, say -42 degrees, and have it stay at this angle even when the RC signal is lost.
And we have all answered that question appropriately. You can't. The RC MUST be connected for the programed gimbal angles in the waypoint actions to function. Once the signal is lost, the gimbal will return to 0 degrees.

And we have all answered that question appropriately. You can't. The RC MUST be connected for the programed gimbal angles in the waypoint actions to function. Once the signal is lost, the gimbal will return to 0 degrees.

I wasn't certain what happened to the gimbal once signal is lost. I assumed and hoped that the gimbal would simply stay at the exact pitch/angle that it was at prior to signal loss. The fact that the firmware within the P3P forces the gimbal to 0 degrees after signal loss helps me realize what is expected and allowed. Thanks.

The fact that the firmware within the P3P forces the gimbal to 0 degrees after signal loss helps me realize what is expected and allowed.
This is not related to aircraft firmware. It is an app issue. Not Litchi itself, but DJI.

Confused- If the RC is not connected to the drone how is the app, either Litchi or DJI, controlling the gimbal?
It's not. The default gimbal angle is 0 degrees at any time. It is the app that will not allow the default disconnect angle to be changed in the mission profile. Waypoint missions are stored on the aircraft once uploaded. It will follow your programmed gimbal angles as long as you are connected via the RC. Otherwise, upon disconnect the gimbal returns to the default 0 degree angle. Those values are NOT uploaded with the mission profile, they are controlled via the app. Hence once you are disconnected, the default value returns.

There is a working solution for this. I set a point of interest and adjust the height value to point the camera down towards that target (Ex. POI 20ft with drone flying 150ft). It might take a few tries to get the angle right but you can fly through your waypoints and have the camera angle adjust to each POI. As others have said please don't fly out of range or LoS.

There is a working solution for this.
That is not a solution. If you lose signal, the gimbal will return to 0 degrees. This is what the OP is trying to avoid, but it can't be avoided.

That is not a solution. If you lose signal, the gimbal will return to 0 degrees. This is what the OP is trying to avoid, but it can't be avoided.
No once the flight plan is uploaded from Litchi it will keep the camera locked onto the points of interest and maintain the angle. I've been tracking a few acres of woods that are being cleared out and have been doing this every day for almost a month now.

No once the flight plan is uploaded from Litchi it will keep the camera locked onto the points of interest and maintain the angle.
This is an old issue with Litchi and as far as I know it has not been fixed. Did you lose signal on these flights you mentioned? POI's work the same as Actions and are NOT uploaded to the aircraft with the mission profile, unless there is something different as of a few months ago, this still holds true.

After I responded to you I did think about the craft being different. I'm using a Phantom 3 Standard and the most recent version of Litchi. I am running a mission every morning about a 4 minute loop and I will lose signal at the very far corner. This mission has 1 PoI at 20ft AGL and 8 waypoints at 150ft AGL. This keeps the camera centered on the trees being toppled and any equipment that is working in the area. Tomorrow I am going to do a controlled test just to be 100% certain. I'll fly to a waypoint and angle the camera down. Then return to home and land. As I am landing I will hover above my head and power off the controller. From what you are saying the gimbal would return up but my experience says it will maintain focus on the PoI set there.

I'll fly to a waypoint and angle the camera down. Then return to home and land. As I am landing I will hover above my head and power off the controller.
That won't work for trying to test the function. You will need to upload a short mission with a 2 or 3 waypoints and 1 POI. Then you can try the controller shutdown during the mission. And are you certain that you lost control signal? Or was this just downlink/video signal? It will continue to work with only downlink loss.

At least the best I can recall, the above Post #18 is true. It's been so long since Iv'e flown that far out to be 100% certain myself.

At least the best I can recall, the above Post #18 is true. It's been so long since Iv'e flown that far out to be 100% certain myself.
I'll give all of this a good test tomorrow and report back. I'm certain I have lost signal for more than a minute or so and had the camera maintain focus and move to another PoI as well. I'll document everything and get it on video and let you know. I know of a few places I can go out to and let it fly away and come back without any issues, but I'm not willing to go out of control in my neighborhood;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.