P3P Battery Storage

Reaction score
I have a P3P with 3 batteries I havent used the P3P in about 4 or 5 months how long can I keep the batteries stores without charging?

As above 'msinger' ...

If you are concerned - there is absolutely nothing wrong with charging them up fully now and letting the auto system take care of discharge to storage ... its what I do in fact to ensure my batts never discharge too low.

Given the length of time you say they have been in storage ... my personal opinion is to charge them up full to make sure all is still good.

As above 'msinger' ...

If you are concerned - there is absolutely nothing wrong with charging them up fully now and letting the auto system take care of discharge to storage ... its what I do in fact to ensure my batts never discharge too low.

Given the length of time you say they have been in storage ... my personal opinion is to charge them up full to make sure all is still good.
Agreed. Thats a long time for them to be sitting. You wont hurt them at all by giving them a full charge right now.

Even though my P3 batteries, all 5 of them, have been sitting on the shelf in the kitchen for around 3 months at a guess, they still have 3rd. lights solid or flashing. I stick them on the 4-way charging adapter and give them a top up just to make sure the charger is working. [emoji851]

I don’t think any of the batteries have auto-discharged any further that a solid 2. I don’t know if not pushing past the 30% capacity when actually flying has anything to do with preserving remaining capacities. I can’t think of any time that I have pushed enough to force auto-landing. Hmm! Maybe once and that was enough. I just managed to limp home from above a boggy bit of rough bracken, heather and nettles. That was enough of an Eeek! moment to not let it happen again. [emoji4]

Reactions: 3rdof5
Even though my P3 batteries, all 5 of them, have been sitting on the shelf in the kitchen for around 3 months at a guess, they still have 3rd. lights solid or flashing. I stick them on the 4-way charging adapter and give them a top up just to make sure the charger is working. [emoji851]

I don’t think any of the batteries have auto-discharged any further that a solid 2. I don’t know if not pushing past the 30% capacity when actually flying has anything to do with preserving remaining capacities. I can’t think of any time that I have pushed enough to force auto-landing. Hmm! Maybe once and that was enough. I just managed to limp home from above a boggy bit of rough bracken, heather and nettles. That was enough of an Eeek! moment to not let it happen again. [emoji4]
Lol :) I've only ever landed with that low of a battery once, to test the auto landing in that situation. I would only ever push my battery like that in a situation where I had no choice.

Reactions: AuldGimpy
Once was scary enough. There was just enough juice left to barely hold the altitude of about 10’ and coax it back to solid ground. More than enough for this bod, my heart condition is already plenty to contend with! [emoji16] My cousin was also doing the “Dance of the Missing UAV” as she would be the one launching the rescue mission. [emoji23]

Reactions: 3rdof5
Sounds all good.

Despite claims and DJI ... if you check out manufacturers sites for LiPo's ... you will see that recc'd storage level is at 30 - 50% ... with preferred in the lower range.
If you are a regular LiPo user - normally stated as 3.75 - 3.85V per cell ... it makes no difference that DJI use LiHV LiPo's

The other thing to consider is that each recharge reduces the batteries life a little. Is it better to let them sit at the safe level defined on the batteries software, or periodically recharge them even if you don’t intend to fly. The latter will reduce the battery life.

The other thing to consider is that each recharge reduces the batteries life a little. Is it better to let them sit at the safe level defined on the batteries software, or periodically recharge them even if you don’t intend to fly. The latter will reduce the battery life.

Battery life is an incremental item ... a charge up from 50% does not constitute a full 1 charge cycle.

The use of a life cycle each month or so - is not an issue ... the battery will literally die more from actual use than life cycle !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl