P3P 1.2.8 Or Solar Flares

Reaction score
OK. This may be far out but I did a short flight starting at 8200' near the Rocky Mountains. I had just updated P3P, controller and battery to firmware 1.2.8, did all my calibrations including compass and as a few had stated, they have had various issues like drifting and loss of altitude along with poor Android FPV. I did not experience any control issues but did have rather lousy FPV on my tablet to the point of being unusable and just flew by stick and by sight. This only happened to me once before on a previous release of P3P firmware.

Later that evening while watching the local news a saw a segment about one of the biggest solar flares in years hitting the Earth affecting all sorts of communications and causing a real cool Aurora Borealis visible as far south as Wyoming. My question would then be "could this be the cause of the poor FPV on my tablet?" rather than the update? I guess I'll just have to wait for a few days and try another location to see if the problem persists.

Always check the geomagnetic forecast as well - http://www.uavforecast.com/

The Geomagnetic forecast yesterday was 6 (on a 0-9 scale). 3 is strong enough to disrupt GPS, 6 can severely degrade mobile phone service.

So the answer is yes - it was the solar flares. Did you get any warning messages loss of GPS?

Last edited:
One time I had horrible video connection. I found out it was because I used my phones wifi hotspot to connect to ipad to cache the map, but I never disconnected from hotspot or turn the wifi off, when I flew it. Every time I flew from then without the hotspot has been great! So know I get the map before hand, then fly with all my devices in airplane mode. So if you were connected to wifi, that might be it.

Hover app, has a solar scale, and I probably wouldn't fly if that is high, some people think that might be th cause of phantom fly aways.

A lot of people have been having fpv problems with the latest update. Personally I'd look at the update being the problem first rather than anything to do with solar flares or k index. I've yet to experience a single issue flying with it even though it was at level 8 yesterday when I was flying. I've never read of any real proof over the years that phantoms have been affected.

Thanks for the replys guys. No, I didn't lose GPS just the FPV. I always download Google maps of the area I fly in and then turn off WiFi and Bluetooth on my Nexus 7 tablet so as to avoid any interference. Always works just fine except for the 2 flights I mentioned. Not a biggie but just curious.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj