P3A Gimbal Ribbon

YYZ

Reaction score
Hi friends,

I encountered a power line a few weeks ago. I have replaced my shell and gimbal yaw arm successfully. Phantom flys great, but one problem lingers.

When I press the shutter button to take a photo, I lose video down links for several seconds while the camera appears to be "thinking". When I switch over to capture video, I lose video connection completely until I switch back to 'photo' mode.

My ribbon cable does have some scratches from the crash and was twisted several times. I'm wondering if there is a chance a break in one of the conductors in the ribbon cable may cause this issue? I was able to format the SD card in the dji go app, but no photos are being saved to the card either. I can set shutter, ISO and have great video while flying, but just when I attempt to capture, I experience this issue.

Could this be a symptom of a ribbon cable issue, or likely the camera/gimbal circuit boards be toast from the crash?

It seems like the camera isn't able to send data to the CPU board in the gimbal assembly, so I think it may just be the ribbon....

A screen shot of what's happening:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I appreciate your thoughts,
Greg

Last edited:
Hi Greg, did you find a solution? I'm running into a similar problem.

I just installed a replacement ribbon last night. I'm going to test it in a few weeks, as I don't want to mess around with my setup right before I go to Mexico. (I have a second camera installed on my P3 at the moment which is working great) I am quite confident it fixed my problem, as I noticed a small slice into the old ribbon cable which occurred as a result of a crash. The install was pretty straightforward with a delicate touch and a little focus :)

I will be sure to update the thread once I get the opportunity to test it! Stay tuned!

I would test it way before you set of to mexico mate. That way you can nip any problems straight away on here. Personally it sounds more like a software fault. If you can take videos and pics then it's not hardware. If their is a delay it most certainly sounds like software glitch. Have you tried downgrading to another firmware?

Neon Euc

I would test it way before you set of to mexico mate. That way you can nip any problems straight away on here. Personally it sounds more like a software fault. If you can take videos and pics then it's not hardware. If their is a delay it most certainly sounds like software glitch. Have you tried downgrading to another firmware?

Neon Euc

Just some clarification. I have installed a completely different camera/gimbal assy on my phantom and tested it. Works perfectly. I repaired my crashed gimbal assembly and just need to test it, but not going to do testing on my phantom until I return from vacation, as I do not want to mess with a functioning system.

The issue I have is not a delay. The images are not transferring to the mainboard at all. The ribbon had a small cut along the edge, which I believe severed the ability of the camera to send the file to the mainboard. I personally don't think there is a software problem, as this is a result of a crash.

I will update the post as soon as I test it, and let you know how it goes.
Cheers!

Reactions: Neon Euc
XYZ, looking the video it's amazing you're receiving 12 satellites, while being inside de house (eventually close to the window ?). Then how many sats do you receive on the field ?

Hi friends,

I encountered a power line a few weeks ago. I have replaced my shell and gimbal yaw arm successfully. Phantom flys great, but one problem lingers.

When I press the shutter button to take a photo, I lose video down links for several seconds while the camera appears to be "thinking". When I switch over to capture video, I lose video connection completely until I switch back to 'photo' mode.

My ribbon cable does have some scratches from the crash and was twisted several times. I'm wondering if there is a chance a break in one of the conductors in the ribbon cable may cause this issue? I was able to format the SD card in the dji go app, but no photos are being saved to the card either. I can set shutter, ISO and have great video while flying, but just when I attempt to capture, I experience this issue.

Could this be a symptom of a ribbon cable issue, or likely the camera/gimbal circuit boards be toast from the crash?

It seems like the camera isn't able to send data to the CPU board in the gimbal assembly, so I think it may just be the ribbon....

A screen shot of what's happening:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I appreciate your thoughts,
Greg
Hi Greg
I started 2 threads on video issues. It started with momentary white spots in the video. Then it would momentarily lose video. Then it went out altogether.
I replaced the flat ribbon camera/gimbal cable and all problems were solved. :) Highly recommended fix!
No Camera Image Transmission
and
Sparkles in my video

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic