P3A camera

Reaction score
Was thinking about upgrading from my p3A to a mavic or P4 but realising how much gear I've bought for it I'm thinking about just upgrading the camera, is this possible I'm thinking maybe a P4 camera would keep me up to date as such but got no idea if it can be done. Any of you guys done this ???

The electronic schematics for Ph4 Standard is almost identical to Ph3, but how it is divided into boards is considerably different. This doesn't look like an easy project, though should be doable.

Later Ph4s introduce different chips for processing all the sensory data, so schematics quickly diverge. It's unlikely that anything would be compatible, because camera FPV bitrate is larger at this point, and Lightbridge from Ph3 isn't prepared to handle such input stream.

You can easily upgrade your camera to Ph3 Pro. But beyond that, it's considerably harder.

Cheers pal ill have a look at the differences between the cameras for the pro and the advanced

Cheers pal ill have a look at the differences between the cameras for the pro and the advanced
You’ll find large amounts of info here in this forum about putting a P3P gimbal/camera on a P3A. It’s easy to do and people have been doing it with success since shortly after the models were released in 2015.

One thing to be careful about is to NOT use a P3-4K model gimbal/camera. Several folks here have done this thinking it would work and is cheaper than a P3P gimbal/camera, but the two are not interchangeable. Melting of cables has occurred!

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe and Steve7777
I have had a P3P camera/gimbal on my P3A for over a year. Works fine. Interesting that the DJI app now sees my drone as a P3P. The identity of the drone is in the camera. Cheers.

The identity of the drone is in the camera.
Good observation.

Drone is seen by the mobile device as a group of modules. From FC module, the app figures out which generation of FC it is and can narrow down the range of possible models. But specific model can be only determined by asking camera for its model. That's the only component which is different between Pro and Advanced.

If both FC and camera are unavailable - the app will show the drone as Inspire.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues