P3A camera vs Mavic

You will get better photos from the P3A.

There are some little differences in the cameras but the image quality should be quite similar.

That's disappointing. I'm very seriously thinking about getting the MPP and was hoping the camera would be some-what improved. I love the small form factor and the reduced noise is a plus.

Now I'm 2nd guessing how much I really "Need" the MPP.

That's disappointing. I'm very seriously thinking about getting the MPP and was hoping the camera would be some-what improved. I love the small form factor and the reduced noise is a plus.
It's still pretty good but there's only so much improving you can do with the small sensor.
The Mavic has the same 1/2.3” sensor as the P3 Advanced and pro and also a fixed aperture lens so it's always full open.
But the Mavic is a beautiful piece of micro engineering - the gimbal/camera looks like it was made by a watchmaker.
It's a really superb little drone and the portability and quiet flying are significant pluses.

Reactions: BigAl07
It's still pretty good but there's only so much improving you can do with the small sensor.
The Mavic has the same 1/2.3” sensor as the P3 Advanced and pro and also a fixed aperture lens so it's always full open.

Ahh that makes sense. I think I was confusing the P4P 1" sensor with the MPP specs. I guess I was wanting my CAKE and EAT IT too LOL.
Thanks for the clarification.

But the Mavic is a beautiful piece of micro engineering - the gimbal/camera looks like it was made by a watchmaker.
It's a really superb little drone and the portability and quiet flying are significant pluses.

It really is pretty awesome in that respect. I do so many "quick in & out" jobs that it would be nice to have the small form factor and something that will easily sit in a car seat without toppling over. I did 9 jobs this evening around my local area and I get sick & tired of always putting the top heavy P3P back in the GoPro case.. over and over and over again.

They have same sensor size. The difference is the focusing system. The P3A has fixed infinite focus which is perfect for aerial work. The Mavic has variable focus and has caused user error issues from the start. Prior to the launch of the mavic, I recall Vlogger Casey nutsack (sp?) was disappointed with the images because he didn't read the manual about tap to focus. This has been rectified now as the Mavic has AF-C and AF-S modes which kinder corrects the focus if you forget to tap the screen.

Another issue with the Mavic is the noise reduction used in sharpening. If sharp = 0, then trees/grass looked water painted. The fix is to set +1 for sharpness.

And finally (slightly off topic), is the video recordings at frames higher than 30fps. 50/60/96 fps looks rubbish. Its all pixelated and a moire effect is created when you film objects with parallel lines like corrugated roofs etc. This is to do with the limitation in the hardware of the camera and i believed its resolved now with the upgraded platinum mavic pro.

The Mavic is a perfect system if you overcome and understand the limitations. I would take the Mavic all day over any other drone.

Reactions: sonof40

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl