P3 sonar sensor backwards compatible with P2?

My pass at it goes like this...
The section of the shell modified may very well lend itself to the physical attachment. This way there's no new tooling, molds, etc. Just a new 'module' substituted. Look closely at your P2 to see what I mean.

However, where does it tie into the data stream? Which port?
Is there a change to the main pcb or just another CanBus addition for connection?

Lastly, is the firmware to make it useable portable to the P2?

It seems likely there will be a 'fork' in the Phantom f/w geneology where P3 splits from the P2. This likely renders the possibility slim. However I never underestimate the tenacity of folks (hackers, mash-up artists, etc.) 'out there' to create a patch.

Kinda doubt it at this rate since anything P3 (battery and controller) so far isn't downwards compatible to the P2.

I'm hopeful that it would be though!

it should be imo. so that those of us do not have inferior products vs p3. example
p1 can be built for iosd, fpv, and gimbal like p2 and p2v .. motors can be swapped escs, compass, receivers, etc....

the naza is the brain and as far as i know P3 is functioning with the naza v2 still. ? therefore the sonar must be able to tap into telemetry same way p3 would with naza. IMO ( i hope )

plus it would further boost sales across all platforms, being able to hit every price segment in the drone market, while offering the ability to cross into other platforms via equipment and software upgrades. its really a win win for dji..

Im assuming the new controller will be available and probably would work minus the gimbal buttons with upgraded receiver and controller.. hopefully . lol ..

naza software will probably be upgraded to support all of above enhancements . I'm really excited to see the future for phantom platform...

the naza is the brain and as far as i know P3 is functioning with the naza v2 still. ? therefore the sonar must be able to tap into telemetry same way p3 would with naza. IMO ( i hope )
Almost nothing from the P3 will be compatible with the P2 series.
I doubt the P3 has a NAZA flight controller. Since everything else comes from the Inspire, it's likely that the FC in the P3 is too..

Almost nothing from the P3 will be compatible with the P2 series.
I doubt the P3 has a NAZA flight controller. Since everything else comes from the Inspire, it's likely that the FC in the P3 is too..

+1

Initially my thoughts were that they'd reuse the Naza for cost reasons. But if you sift through the available P3 documentation [I've found] thus far it's not clear what they're using.

The lack of specificity would seem to indicate something different unless their trying to keep it low key due to the perception the Naza is problematic.

I asked at the event, and was told nope, not compatible. P3 doesn't have the Naza in it.

Other than the shell and the propulsion system, the P3 has more in common with the Inspire than the other Phantoms.

ya look at the tear down pics of the p3 the insides are a whole new thing. There is no naza in it at all The controller looks to just be a big square IC chip. The top shell is about the only thing that even looks closely compatible. IT also dont look like there is going to be much of any thing thats going to be upgradeable in the p3 and is all integrated on one big board that fills most of the shell and is all one big unit. out side of the motors and the camera and the sonar.

I also would not hold my breath for dji to ever made the soft ware for there discontinued models to be able to let some one get away with keeping there old p2 and adding some thing from the p3 to it and not having to buy a p3 or a inspire. DJI just dont roll like that. I would also bet if they come up with any thing that would make a great upgrade to the p3 even they would just hold out and put it in the p4 and them make you have to buy a p4 if you want the new what ever it may be.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic