P3 Professional gimbal stops swinging after a short distance and vibrates when panning right.

Reaction score
This is kind of hard to explain, but basically, while testing my Phantom 3 Professional gimbal's 3rd axis today by holding the drone and panning around, I noticed that even though the gimbal, as it should, swung to the right to smoothen out camera movement while I was panning right, it stopped swinging after just a bit, (not anywhere close to ending of the almost 180 degrees it should be able to pan) as if it hit something that prevented it from swinging any further out right. Not only that, but the gimbal mount would also start to vibrate when panning right (even slowly) sometimes. After it recovers from the pan/panning left it returns to normal. I'm not sure if this is very noticeable in any footage.

How is it during actual flight? Ive done the hand hold and moved my P3P around like that, mostly only to show other people just how well it works and it will sometimes behave a little weird like that. But in actual flight its always worked perfectly and smoothly.

I'm not too sure. In flight it looks fine, but since I can't feel it, it could very well still be locking up after moving to the side just a bit. I'm just worried that this might lead to making the whole 3rd axis useless because it can't move any further to smoothen out and will stop suddenly instead.

This is kind of hard to explain, but basically, while testing my Phantom 3 Professional gimbal's 3rd axis today by holding the drone and panning around, I noticed that even though the gimbal, as it should, swung to the right to smoothen out camera movement while I was panning right, it stopped swinging after just a bit, (not anywhere close to ending of the almost 180 degrees it should be able to pan) as if it hit something that prevented it from swinging any further out right. Not only that, but the gimbal mount would also start to vibrate when panning right (even slowly) sometimes. After it recovers from the pan/panning left it returns to normal. I'm not sure if this is very noticeable in any footage.
Welcome to the forum!

The P3 gimbal only moves perhaps 5-7 degrees left or right. Why would you think it should be 180 degrees, especially when you consider the landing gear would get in the shot. Are you perhaps thinking of the 360 degree Inspire?

If the current app still has the "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow" setting, maybe try that on and off to see it smooths things out when panning. It probably won't make a difference when you pan by hand as you noted because I think its tied to stick movement, but its something to know about and understand at least. Either way, don't expect more than about 5-7 degrees either direction. Also, If you are interested, click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve7777
Ahhh I messed up. You're right, it's most definitely not 180 degrees. I've never actually thought that it was controlled by stick movement, but if it is the case, then I suppose that it means that what the gimbal does on the ground or in hand will be quite different from in the air.

If you turn everything on and dont start the props and then use the left stick to pan left and right you will notice a very slight movement of the gimbal each way to try and lead the panning of the AC which is normal during flight. As everyone is saying the gimbal barely moves left or right on that axis. Sounds like yours is working normally.

Not only that, but the gimbal mount would also start to vibrate when panning right (even slowly) sometimes.
If the current app still has the "Enable Synchronized Gimbal Pan Follow" setting, maybe try that on and off to see it smooths things out when panning. It probably won't make a difference when you pan by hand as you noted because I think its tied to stick movement
I suppose that it means that what the gimbal does on the ground or in hand will be quite different from in the air.
No, the gimbal will react close to the same way when in hand or when in the air. It will not be quite different. I was referring to the setting I mentioned which enables or disables the ability to lead the panning as was mentioned by @3rdof5. It was a reach for something that could perhaps help with the slight vibration you mentioned occurred when you panned by hand. Like I said, it probably wont make a difference but it's something to know about and understand at least.

Cheers!

That wasn't what I was referring to. As I said, it's kinda hard to explain. I am aware of the bit of control given over the gimbal's left-right movement and of this axis's movement restrictions, but I'm trying to figure out why the sudden stoppage of the gimbal. As in, the gimbal doesn't swing the direction the drone is moved, slow down, stop and then gradually recover in the opposite direction when the Phantom is turned right like normal to make sure the footage is smooth, but abruptly stops/locks itself in place after swinging and then recovers.

No, the gimbal will react close to the same way when in hand or when in the air. It will not be quite different. I was referring to the setting I mentioned which enables or disables the ability to lead the panning as was mentioned by @3rdof5. It was a reach for something that could perhaps help with the slight vibration you mentioned occurred when you panned by hand. Like I said, it probably wont make a difference but it's something to know about and understand at least.

Cheers!

ohh sorry for the misunderstanding. I'll toggle that setting a bit and see what happens then.

ohh sorry for the misunderstanding. I'll toggle that setting a bit and see what happens then.
Just to clarify, the only reason the gimbals even moves at all left and right is to allow some room to compensate for flight turbulence/vibration so the camera stays stable. It doesn't actually pan. Thats the job of the aircraft itself. Physically it could turn 360 degrees but the software wont allow it, hense the "wall" it hits and slowly comes back from. Totally normal.

Just to clarify, the only reason the gimbals even moves at all left and right is to allow some room to compensate for flight turbulence/vibration so the camera stays stable. It doesn't actually pan. Thats the job of the aircraft itself. Physically it could turn 360 degrees but the software wont allow it, hense the "wall" it hits and slowly comes back from. Totally normal.

It's exactly that. It doesn't "slowly come back from" the "wall" and just hits it.

It's exactly that. It doesn't "slowly come back from" the "wall" and just hits it.
I find it works more reliably during flight. It doesn't sound like anything is actually wrong with it. All I can suggest is do a gimbal calibration and see if that makes any difference.

Just a side note. The gimbal boards are very sensitive to overheating so I dont recommend messing around with it while not flying (no props to cool it). If you are testing the AC in non flight conditions I highly recommend having a small fan blowing on the gimbal to help cool it.

You'd be right I suppose. I guess I'm just really OCD about every small issue there is

Reactions: 3rdof5
Just a side note. The gimbal boards are very sensitive to overheating so I dont recommend messing around with it while not flying (no props to cool it). If you are testing the AC in non flight conditions I highly recommend having a small fan blowing on the gimbal to help cool it.

Kinda wish I'd known that earlier now. thanks!

Reactions: 3rdof5

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4