P3 Pro Waypoints and Planning Missions

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just got my first Phantom ever, the 3 Pro. I've been doing multi's for a couple of years now, flying RC Helis for several years before that.

I've been building my own UAV's such as the DJI 450, a 550, and the Tarot 680, all as aerial videography platforms. The controller is the Pixhawk which allows for precise planning and creation of waypoints via the Mission Planner software. You create the mission ahead of time and upload it to the controller.

What is the analog for the P3? I've heard of CoPilot but that's not true waypoints I understand. They use the concept of "shots" that you plan and the waypoints are generated for you.

How can mission planning be done without having to manually create the mission in the field?

Being able to pre-plan a mission and execute and tweak it at the field is probably the most powerful single feature I would ever want for aerial photography and videography - and it's not built into the P3!

Thanks ,

Bill

How can mission planning be done without having to manually create the mission in the field?

Being able to pre-plan a mission and execute and tweak it at the field is probably the most powerful single feature I would ever want for aerial photography and videography - and it's not built into the P3!

You can use one of many 3rd party apps for this. They have been well discussed on this forum and what app you use depends on the OS of your device.

You can use one of many 3rd party apps for this. They have been well discussed on this forum and what app you use depends on the OS of your device.

Thanks for that!

Where might a find the names of such apps on this forum? I have no idea what they might be called.

A Google search I did for "phantom 3 waypoints" didn't get much, so I thought I'd post on the forum to get some ideas.

Can anyone please recommend or name
An app that can do waypoints for the P3 Pro? OS can be either IOS or android.

Thanks,

Bill

Well if your android user I'm not sure, maybe litchi. Go to Apple App Store and search DJI there are several. Also search this forum for waypoints. FPV camera 3 has a great mission planner app. So far none are as good as mission planner. I use that on Walkera 350 pro modified with 3dr type system. That's the one downfall of the phantom 3. They improved the bird but not the software. Do search for just DJI and see what apps you find then narrow down to phantom 3. I'm happy with my P3 but it doesn't do as much as I thought it would for $1000, my $300 dollar 350 pros can do as much, except I use a Gopro, it works fine for mapping, not as good for photographic quality.

For Android I'd say it would be Litchi for an all around good app that should do everything you want with Waypoints (you can design them on the web and upload them to your device or use the device where ever you are and set them up without flying) or DJI Ultimate Flight V3. Ultimate Flight currently has some features in waypoint mode that Litchi does not have but 1) I suspect they will be added into Litchi and 2) I personally think Litchi's UI is much better.

Litchi for DJI Phantom/Inspire

DJI Ultimate Flight - v3 - Android Apps on Google Play

Well if your android user I'm not sure, maybe litchi. Go to Apple App Store and search DJI there are several. Also search this forum for waypoints. FPV camera 3 has a great mission planner app. So far none are as good as mission planner. I use that on Walkera 350 pro modified with 3dr type system. That's the one downfall of the phantom 3. They improved the bird but not the software. Do search for just DJI and see what apps you find then narrow down to phantom 3. I'm happy with my P3 but it doesn't do as much as I thought it would for $1000, my $300 dollar 350 pros can do as much, except I use a Gopro, it works fine for mapping, not as good for photographic quality.

Thanks for the Advice... Just gonna have to work with it to explore its capabilities. I've got a feeling this thing will be really great for some things and the pixhawk ones will be better at some things like mission planning and such. It's fun to have both!@@

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl