P3 Pro. Now what?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently upgraded myself from the Parrot Bebop to the DJI Phantom 3 Pro. Only had 2 flights to date, but loving so far. Few questions I am hoping I can get some help with;

1. What firmware is commonly regarded as most stable? DJI GO is reporting app version as 2.02 and firmware as 1.1.9+. Should I be upgrading off this?
  2. I am currently using my LG G3 phone with my P3 which is experiencing some lag. To get a better FPV experience I have been thinking about getting a new tablet. I have read that DJI apps run a lot better (especially FPV lag wise) on Apple, however I would much prefer to get something Android based if I can. I was thinking the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (8" version) as spec wise it seems like a more solid choice than the Nexus 9. It is new however and I suspect largely expect untested for the primary purpose of running apps for the DJI Phantom 3. Are there any Android tablets that I should be looking at?
  3. I am very interested in some of the autonomous flight/waypoint features (so much so I nearly purchased the 3DR Solo) that are offered with Litchi and DJI Ultimate Flight 3. I know DJI announced a month ago that this functionality would be coming via DJI GO, however I don't want to wait on that. Any other apps I should be looking at and are there any particular hurdles I should be aware of with any apps of this nature?
Appreciate any advise.

What firmware is commonly regarded as most stable?
The current firmware is stable. 1.1.9 is a stable release too.

I have been thinking about getting a new tablet
You can find a list of commonly used devices here:
Tablets and phones that work well with DJI Go & DJI Pilot | DJI Phantom Forum

Any other apps I should be looking at and are there any particular hurdles I should be aware of with any apps of this nature?
There's nothing available for the Phantom 3 at the moment.

Hi All,

I recently upgraded myself from the Parrot Bebop to the DJI Phantom 3 Pro. Only had 2 flights to date, but loving so far. Few questions I am hoping I can get some help with;

1. What firmware is commonly regarded as most stable? DJI GO is reporting app version as 2.02 and firmware as 1.1.9+. Should I be upgrading off this?
  2. I am currently using my LG G3 phone with my P3 which is experiencing some lag. To get a better FPV experience I have been thinking about getting a new tablet. I have read that DJI apps run a lot better (especially FPV lag wise) on Apple, however I would much prefer to get something Android based if I can. I was thinking the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (8" version) as spec wise it seems like a more solid choice than the Nexus 9. It is new however and I suspect largely expect untested for the primary purpose of running apps for the DJI Phantom 3. Are there any Android tablets that I should be looking at?
  3. I am very interested in some of the autonomous flight/waypoint features (so much so I nearly purchased the 3DR Solo) that are offered with Litchi and DJI Ultimate Flight 3. I know DJI announced a month ago that this functionality would be coming via DJI GO, however I don't want to wait on that. Any other apps I should be looking at and are there any particular hurdles I should be aware of with any apps of this nature?
Appreciate any advise.

Welcome, i moved from the Parrot Bebop as well. Biggest hurdle to overcome is flying your drone beyond 100m while having full connectivity and excellent video feed. Once you get over that then the sky is the limit. If you want to test out waypoints and considering you have a Android device head over to FAQ - Litchi and sign up. You will need to update your firmware to the latest SDK release but links to that will be supplied to you when you sign up.

I've been doing waypoint flying for a few weeks and i love it, been doing different flights etc to test out functions. Always have my finger on the mode switch just in case something is not right. A couple of tips for you, my personal view at least:

1. Don't use auto take off function, it's just as easy to lift the lift stick up a bit then it is to get the computer to do it, besides seen some fly aways and just about all of them started with auto takeoff being used.
2. Make sure you calibrate compass when starting from a new location for takeoff.
3. Buy an extra battery if you only have one, you'll want and need it.

You will feel hesitant in getting the drone out too far but compared to Parrot the Phantom is another league all together.

Thanks for the replies.

Jason you are not wrong about the Parrot Vs Phantom. Parrot still has a few things going for it, but considering you need the Skycontroller to make it a worthwhile package makes it a very tough sell imho as they are then too close in price.

Anyway, what Android device are you using Jason? Also, do you have any FPV lag issues and if so have you been able to reduce/remove it at all?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl