P3 owners - 500m max height ?

Reaction score
can you raise this limit on your computer ?

Last edited:
I am not sure what the big deal is with the 500M height restriction, that's 1625' above take off altitude, much higher than needed for almost any type of filming. Is it simply that it IS a restriction? The few times I took my P2 up to 400' I got bored because you just can't see anything. The point is moot here in the US as the FAA is going to restrict Hobby flying to 400' in any case.

Reactions: bobomet
I am not sure what the big deal is with the 500M height restriction, that's 1625' above take off altitude, much higher than needed for almost any type of filming. Is it simply that it IS a restriction? The few times I took my P2 up to 400' I got bored because you just can't see anything. The point is moot here in the US as the FAA is going to restrict Hobby flying to 400' in any case.

Thanks for the input, though it does not answer the question.

Although the limit doesn't bother me that much I've done some hikes that have been from Near sea level up to well over a mile would be cool to be able to fly up to the summit take a peek without the hike.

Thanks for the input, though it does not answer the question.
Sorry, there is no computer assistant app for the P3 as there was for the P2, all interaction with the P3 is via the pilot app on your device, and the max altitude that can be set in the app is 500 meters. Having said that someone mentioned the possibility of setting the altitude in the app to 0 (zero) to over ride the height restrictions, don't know if anyone has tried it yet, but I have my doubts that it would work, but then again stranger things have happened.

Although the limit doesn't bother me that much I've done some hikes that have been from Near sea level up to well over a mile would be cool to be able to fly up to the summit take a peek without the hike.
The hike is good for you, the 500M is AGL (above ground level) so the 500m is in relation to where you take off, not sea level. Keep in mind that according to the spec's the P3 runs out of blade at 6000 ASL (above sea level). This just means the air is so thin that the max lift available to the blades will not overcome the weight of the bird. So it won't be able to hover out of ground effect.

Hmmmm I'm sure someone will crack the app sooner or later and remove these sort of restrictions, though as said there's not much going on up at 500m .

Reactions: gfredrone
Sorry, there is no computer assistant app for the P3 as there was for the P2, all interaction with the P3 is via the pilot app on your device, and the max altitude that can be set in the app is 500 meters. Having said that someone mentioned the possibility of setting the altitude in the app to 0 (zero) to over ride the height restrictions, don't know if anyone has tried it yet, but I have my doubts that it would work, but then again stranger things have happened.

Thanks. I did not know that everything was handle through the pilot app now. This makes more sense to me now. Appreciate the response.

Yep, I went back and re-read your post, I missed the Hiking part, guess I read to fast.
Cali has good vertical rise I could see you exceeding 500m from your take off area without exceeding 400' above a mountain, if you felt so inclined. Pun intended.

I would really like this lifted. I have done several flights here in California where I've gone up 500-600m resulting in being less than 100m above ground. We have HILLS around here!

And read the specs better - the P3 will fly up to 6000m not 6000'. http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/spec

A couple of weeks ago I was flying my P2V+ in Nepal around 4000m - no problem at all, couldn't even notice reduced lift/performance.

Flying around for any amount of time more then 500m above ground is pointless but I'd like to take it up for a minute and take a snap shot of the landscape or even straight down.

image.jpg
Here's a pic I took with my p2vision+

Last edited:
Reactions: beakeru2
Me just not like restrictions of any type !
Would love a P3P because of the camera but any restrictions is a killer .
Nice picture by the way ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31